UIC -- Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zurich5

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone who's been accepted or currently going to UIC started looking for housing for next year? Anyone have any information about good/bad areas to live?

Members don't see this ad.

I have been accepted and have been in Chicago for a number of years. I could answer any questions you have on places to live... I also may be subletting my place come July :)

Bump, anyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
Zurich5,

I have been accepted and I am going to attend UIC Dental next year. As for housing, I did look around in Greektown and around by UIC, but the best fit for me was where I am at right now by Water Tower Place, so I am going to stay here any commute a little ways to UIC next year.
As for potentially good/bad areas to live in, it all comes down to two things: personal preference and how much money you are willing to spend. In Chicago, you can live atop the John Hancock Building, as long as you have the $$ for it. But, I think the area around UIC (Little Italy) is very nice and is coming up at the same time. There are a few sketchy areas within Little Italy (meaning a few bad blocks here and there), but for the most part, it is a nice place to live in with lots of students as well. I would feel pretty comfortable living there...good luck with the job search.

If you have any other questions...feel free to PM me.

RDawg187

for those of you that have been accepted to illinois dental school, what were your stats?

i will be passing this info along to my bf who is applying this summer.

thanks!

Originally posted by RDawg187
Zurich5,

I have been accepted and I am going to attend UIC Dental next year. As for housing, I did look around in Greektown and around by UIC, but the best fit for me was where I am at right now by Water Tower Place, so I am going to stay here any commute a little ways to UIC next year.
As for potentially good/bad areas to live in, it all comes down to two things: personal preference and how much money you are willing to spend. In Chicago, you can live atop the John Hancock Building, as long as you have the $$ for it. But, I think the area around UIC (Little Italy) is very nice and is coming up at the same time. There are a few sketchy areas within Little Italy (meaning a few bad blocks here and there), but for the most part, it is a nice place to live in with lots of students as well. I would feel pretty comfortable living there...good luck with the job search.

If you have any other questions...feel free to PM me.

RDawg187

RDawg,

Thanks for the reply. Do you go to school at UIC now? I've been looking around pilsen and little italy and don't think it will be too bad. I'm planning on moving further north once we get into the clinic, but for now i'll probably try to find something close to the school. I'd like to find some roomates, do you know any first year dental students that need someone to live with? Later on,

Ryan

Ryan,

I actually don't go to UIC right now, but I do have some friends that are at UIC, but I am not sure if any of them are looking for roommates right now. Regardless, I will ask them to see if they know someone who is. As for the Pilsen and Little Italy neighborhoods, I think they would be pretty cool to live in. Actually, Pilsen has some of the best Mexican and Spanish food in Chicago! For the UIC neighborhoods, your best bet is to just drive up and down the streets because most places that are available to rent are not advertised in papers, etc. They just post the traditional "For Rent" signs in their window, yards, etc. So, if you have some free time, I would do that first to get the best place possible for the least amount of $$. I will let you know what my friends say about the roommates thing...

Good luck with the search!

Roshan

Nice, thanks for the advice. What do you know about Bucktown/Wicker park? Would they be close enough to the school so that I wouldn't have to go through hell everyday getting back and forth?

Both Wicker Park and Bucktown are definitely fun areas to live in and go out in too. Af for the commuting part, it depends on if you are going to drive or take public trans to school. If you are gonna drive, its not more than 10 minutes tops. But, if you are taking the CTA, it will depend on how far you are from an "L" station. Wicker Park/Bucktown is just west of Chicago and North of UIC, so if you find a place near the blue line or brown line, they will both take you right to the Chicago Medical District, which is just a quick walk from UIC dental. Hope this helps.

I feel like they are building so much new housing in that area? (correct me if I'm wrong.) Also, if you are looking for roommates-maybe if you know any med/pharm/or PT/OT students they might be able to room with you? Good luck with the housing search Zurich.

Hello,

Can someone tell me the grading system at UIC dental school? Is it GPA? Or pass/fail?

I want to do the 6-year O.M.S/M.D program at UIC after my dental degree. Would it be advantageous to do my DDS from UIC? I mean....do they show preference for their own students? What do you say?

Thanks!!

ULTRON

it's the typical A, B, C, (D and F?)

it's definitely not pass fail.

if you ask UIC directly, they will say they do not give preference to their own students. but they do... in the sense that you have the opportunity to get to know them while you are a pre-doc, so it's easier for you to impress them then, say, a student from a school 2,000 miles away.

Thanks for the reply Jone. I almost guessed that. This even holds true for graduate schools. Undergrads at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (where I go) can get into grad school with below average GPAs.

It would be a good idea to meet and maybe do research with O.M.S/M.D program professors, make friends with them, bribe them, etc. What do our other members members say? Anyone from UIC?

thanks,

ULTRON

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump, anyone heard anything from the school lately, or started collecting teeth?

Bump, anyone alive?

South2006 said:
How ironic, you're moving to Cubbie land! :) Goodluck!

Yah, I know... St. Louis isn't a very far drive, so when the World Series starts up, I'll be able to head home easily for the games :)

Zurik5,

I personally do not think you will have to worry about travelling down to St. Louis once the World Series starts up becuase it is going to be in Chicago anyways at Wrigley Field. So, you can just hop on the "L" and be in Wrigleyville in no time!

Haha... :laugh:

Just think, with the high price of gasoline, you will be saving lots of gas money too!

Go Cubbies!

Yah, Yah, Yah... We'll see :)

Looks like i'm going to live in lakeview with a few of my buddies from undergrad. Have you heard anything from UIC lately? They said that they would send out a package the first of July, so I'm waiting. Do you have all of your teeth yet?

Zurik5,

I have not heard anything from UIC lately either, but we will probably get some more information soon enough. Lakeview is an awesome area to be in, I will be there tonight at the Cubs game watching them beat up on those lousy Houston Astros!

I have not started to collect the teeth yet, do we really need a whole quart size jar full?? :confused:

Have you collected your teeth, etc. yet??

RDawg187 said:
Zurik5,

I have not heard anything from UIC lately either, but we will probably get some more information soon enough. Lakeview is an awesome area to be in, I will be there tonight at the Cubs game watching them beat up on those lousy Houston Astros!

I have not started to collect the teeth yet, do we really need a whole quart size jar full?? :confused:

Have you collected your teeth, etc. yet??

Yah I'm pretty excited. I emailed nancy today, and she said that she will be sending a mailing out next week about orientation. As far as teeth, I have quite a few. I just took a jar to a Heartland office (lots of public aide pts) and as far as I know it's pretty full. I'm planning on moving up the first week of August, so I can enjoy the city for a few weeks before classes start. Do you know anyone who will be in our class who would be down for getting a drink, or something, before orientation starts?

I think that's a good call that you are going to move up here early to enjoy Chicago, its great up here. I don't know who else would be up for going out before school starts, but we should try to get some people together. I know I would be down for it, but we will find some others as well.

Zurik,

You're not allowed to come to Chicago if you're a Cards fan--bottome line. Its bad enough we have to deal with Sox fans as it is. And once Prior and Wood get some momentum, theres no stoppin us so just give in now :smuggrin: .

Rdawg,

Where did you go to undergrad? UIC?

And I'm down if you guys want to hang out before school starts.

-Jeff

Jeff,

Naw man, I went to Loyola for undergrad. And, I totally agree with you, we gotta keep those Cards fans out man! We already have Sox fans taunting us for only winning one game last weekend at the Cell. But, I think we can sweep them this weekend at Wrigley! Once Wood is healthy enough to come back, I think we have the NL Central!

Did you go to UIC for undergrad?

Cards blew at Pittsburgh.... but we're still up 3.5 games. I am definatley not looking forward to Wood/Prior in top form, and Beltran in Houston is sick. Hopefully you guys can get the wild card ;) We've got Seattle at home this weekend, so hopefully we'll push that 3.5 game lead up to 4 or 5 games. By the way, I'll be the guy at orientation with a Pujols jersey on :)

What are you guys doing this summer? Working?

Yeah I went to UIC for undergrad so its not gonna be a big transition for me, I just hope I'm up ready for school after being so lazy this summer. I just started work this week, working for UIC. It was an easy job to get and I needed some cash--I'm only workin about 20-25 hours though. What have you guys been doin for summer? I still haven't started collecting teeth either--man I'm lazy. It would be a good idea if I started that huh. By the way Rdawg, I'll be the guy at orientation beatin up the guy in the Pujols jersey.

LOL, I don't feel soo bad about not having all the teeth yet. I'm not really working, but going on a few vacations before school starts... there is a strong possibility that i'll be the most tan person in our class by orientation . You guys know how long a train ride from licoln park/lakeview to the school would be?

Guys,

Finally today Sammy pulled off a game-winning homer! I used to get worried now when he came up in a game-winning situation, but I guess I can rest easy for a while. As for me, I am working a little bit for my dad, but it will be over soon enough and then, I can go back to being lazy once again before school starts!

Shizzle, I guess we are gonna both have to go after Pujols at orientation!

Anyways, to get from lakeview to UIC on the "L" is probably like 20 min or so. I think you will have to transfer to the Blue line at some point but overall, not too bad at all...(I am assuming you will get on at the Addison Red line stop). How ironic is it that a Cardinals fan will be moving in right close to Wrigley Field, huh? Haha... :laugh:

Cheers!

RDawg187 said:
Guys,

How ironic is it that a Cardinals fan will be moving in right close to Wrigley Field, huh? Haha... :laugh:

Cheers!

Yah, weird, heh? One of my roomates for next year is a huge Packers fan, so it should be interesting. Thanks for the info on the train... big win for the cubbies tonight :(

Anyone looking for a place to live within a mile of UIC. Ill be a first year at rush but I need a roommmate. Feel free to email if youre interested or have any quesitons.

Brian
[email protected]

Yesterday, against the Sox, rain was my new hero!!

Haha... :laugh:

Yah, this weather blows. I'm up in Michigan for the weekend and the Lake is freezing!

Anyone get the orientation info yet? I know its supposed to come mid July, but I haven't received anything. Just wondering if you guys have. Holla back.

F'in Cardinals :thumbdown:

I actually got a big envelope for UIC last week and it had our D1 schedule, orientation info, and lots of other stuff in it. Shizzle, I think you may want to give them a call (fo shizzle) because I am assuming that they send out the same info for all the incoming D1 students at the same time.

On a different note, the Cubs can hopefully sweep the Brewers (and get A. Ramirez back soon) but those damn Cards keep winning! I think me and you are gonna have to go down to St. Louis and take out Scott Rolen and/or Pujols! Haha...

Roshan

RDawg187 said:
I actually got a big envelope for UIC last week and it had our D1 schedule, orientation info, and lots of other stuff in it. Shizzle, I think you may want to give them a call (fo shizzle) because I am assuming that they send out the same info for all the incoming D1 students at the same time.

On a different note, the Cubs can hopefully sweep the Brewers (and get A. Ramirez back soon) but those damn Cards keep winning! I think me and you are gonna have to go down to St. Louis and take out Scott Rolen and/or Pujols! Haha...

Roshan

I got the information last week, but had it sent to my house, so I'll probably get to look over it this weekend. Have you guys gotten all of your vacines and what not taken care of? Looks like our class is going to a Sox/Tigers game, that should be pretty cool, we'll see who pukes first.... Go Cards!

I haven't gotten anything yet :confused: I wonder whats goin on? Thanks for the responses though.

F'in Brewers :thumbdown:

Man, that mail so slow sometimes! I'm glad you finally got it though...

Anyways, the Cubbies need to take both from the Cards starting tonight...hopefully Zambrano brings his "A" game to Wrigley!

Go Cubbies!

Yeah I was getting a little worried there. I still won't be able to look it over either til the weekend, it was sent to my perm. address. I finally got a jar into a dental office last week, but haven't gotten my hepatitis vaccines yet. I'm not too worried about those though.

As for our Cubbies man, I'm starting to get pissed. Our starting pitching has been awesome, even without Prior and Wood, but our bullpen blows right now. Its gonna get worse too cause Wood and Prior are both on pitch counts. And with our offense in a slump things look grim.

I've given up on us catching the Cards, but I think we'll get the wild card, its gonna be tight though. If we do make the playoffs I think we can definitely go all the way with a health pitching staff. Gotta give props to the Cardinals though, they've been dominating lately, easily the best team in baseball right now (booooo). Hope you're happy Zurik.

shizzleDDS said:
Yeah I was getting a little worried there. I still won't be able to look it over either til the weekend, it was sent to my perm. address. I finally got a jar into a dental office last week, but haven't gotten my hepatitis vaccines yet. I'm not too worried about those though.

As for our Cubbies man, I'm starting to get pissed. Our starting pitching has been awesome, even without Prior and Wood, but our bullpen blows right now. Its gonna get worse too cause Wood and Prior are both on pitch counts. And with our offense in a slump things look grim.

I've given up on us catching the Cards, but I think we'll get the wild card, its gonna be tight though. If we do make the playoffs I think we can definitely go all the way with a health pitching staff. Gotta give props to the Cardinals though, they've been dominating lately, easily the best team in baseball right now (booooo). Hope you're happy Zurik.

Damn right... 10 up baby!

Booo those Cards!! I officially dislike all red-colored birds!

I gotta give it up to them though, any team that can come back from 8 - 2 in the 6th is a darn good team! And Pujols hitting three HRs (even though I hate the guy) is quite impressive.

Unless one of the Cards big three hitters goes down, I think Cubbies might have to focus on a Wild Card spot as well. Ten games is a hell of a lot to catch up to...

Overall, its good for Zurik, bad for Shizzle and me!

Lol, how's that new park in chicago? Look real "modern"

Hey guys, thought you might enjoy this:

Central W L GB
St. Louis 60 34 --
Chi Cubs 50 44 10.0
Cincinati 50 45 10.5
Milwaukee 47 46 12.5
Houston 46 48 14.0
Pittsburgh 44 48 15.0

Also, would you be interested in starting a fantasy football league, within our class maybe? I'll try and get everyones email address (in the class) and see if anyone wanted to start one. Have a great weekend.

Ryan

RDawg187 said:
And Pujols hitting three HRs (even though I hate the guy) is quite impressive.

QUOTE]

yeah they guy is good, but his name is Pujols (pronounced poo-holes), I mean come on, we can't expect to make the playoffs and let this guy single handedly beat us like this in the mean time.

Zurik,
I've never done a fantasy football league before, but I'll give it a shot.

--Jeff

Those standings suck! But, hopefully the Cubbies can come back, I think they can! Once that Poo-Holes cools off, I hope so will the Cards...
Anyways, I am totally up for a fantasy football league, my email address is ([email protected]). I just won't pick many of the Chicago Bears...haha.

Also, I was just at Millennium Park tonight and it looks really nice...maybe not worth the $600 million dollar total price tag, but its close. They have this crazy fountain there with random people's faces on there, its pretty cool! And the Pritzker Pavilion is just amazing, definitely worth checking out...

Keep me updated with the fantasy league...

Go Cubbies...I hope they can sweep the Phillies this weekend!

Roshan

Sweet, I'll look into setting one up early next week (probably through yahoo, which isn't open yet). The bears are going to be sweet this year w/ my boy rex grossman (from bloomington, In)... super bowl all the way. Oh cardinals won again last night.... bring on the yankees.

Zurik5 said:
Sweet, I'll look into setting one up early next week (probably through yahoo, which isn't open yet). The bears are going to be sweet this year w/ my boy rex grossman (from bloomington, In)... super bowl all the way. Oh cardinals won again last night.... bring on the yankees.

You really think Grossman will be good? I love the bears man, but I don't think they'll do better than 8-8. Nothing wrong with being optimistic, I hope they'll do better than that, I'll be satisfied though if we can just beat the damn fudgepackers this year.

Both you guys and baseball. I guess i'm gonna hear alot about the cubs and the cards in class lol. Nothing against baseball. I haven't been on SDN in a while. Got all that info on orientation and stuff a few weeks ago. As for the teeth go, I got two jars full and I think im gonna get some more. I'll share the wealth if you guys are in desperate need of it. It's coming down to the wire.... about a month before we start diggin our heads into the books. It'll be cool though. Take care, ttyl

LazrSpeed88 said:
.... about a month before we start diggin our heads into the books. It'll be cool though. Take care, ttyl

The only class I'm really worried about is Anatomy. I've never taken it, and I've heard its one of the hardest classes we'll have :scared: I haven't checked up on my jars of teeth, but I'll take you up on that offer if I'm short.

Are any of you goin to the sox game and/or the open house?

-Jeff