UIC Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ummmm, a word of advice from someone who lives in Chicago and knows the UIC campus. I wouldnt buy a condo or rent right near UIC. I would venture out to Lincoln Park or better yet Bucktown, Wickerpark where you can catch the Blue Line El train that will go straight to the UIC campus within 20 minutes. Its just so ghetto near UIC and if u are from out of town, its just no fun when u live in the ghetto. For peeps from Chicago, i dont know if it matters because we know our way around, have been there an done that, etc....

I would HIGHLY HIGHLY suggest that at least ur first year you live in an apt or buy a condo outside the UIC area. The dorms suck. But if u are on a tight budget, the dorms can be an option. I just cringe at the thought of being in a dorm again. Public transportation is awesome in Chicago and there are tons of Bus routes and El trains to take u to UIC.

Members don't see this ad.

Tai said:
Ummmm, a word of advice from someone who lives in Chicago and knows the UIC campus. I wouldnt buy a condo or rent right near UIC. I would venture out to Lincoln Park or better yet Bucktown, Wickerpark where you can catch the Blue Line El train that will go straight to the UIC campus within 20 minutes. Its just so ghetto near UIC and if u are from out of town, its just no fun when u live in the ghetto. For peeps from Chicago, i dont know if it matters because we know our way around, have been there an done that, etc....

I would HIGHLY HIGHLY suggest that at least ur first year you live in an apt or buy a condo outside the UIC area. The dorms suck. But if u are on a tight budget, the dorms can be an option. I just cringe at the thought of being in a dorm again. Public transportation is awesome in Chicago and there are tons of Bus routes and El trains to take u to UIC.

If CTA has their way, we would pay alot more and some of those routes will be gone and probably our U-Pass!!

Yeah but I know one TOO many ppl that have gotten mugged near UIC. One woman got mugged in her own garage near UIC. My best friend lived in a condo next to her.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in! :thumbup:

Check your emails!

Now comes the decision.... higher ranked school... or 3 year program in Worcester..... argh.... :confused:

yeah... thought it was kind of random, coz it said it was sent around 12:30am central :cool: ... and they said that they won't be able to make a decision until the 15th or 18th? so totally unexpected... nonetheless, congrats! :thumbup: good luck to the rest of you ;)

chocoholic said:
yeah... thought it was kind of random, coz it said it was sent around 12:30am central :cool: ... and they said that they won't be able to make a decision until the 15th or 18th? so totally unexpected... nonetheless, congrats! :thumbup: good luck to the rest of you ;)

During their talk at the end of the interview, the assist. dean actually said they hoped to be finished by the 15th or 18th, ie: final decisions. =)

But yes, g'luck to the rest of you twiddling your fingers. My fingers were getting tired. =)

I just got my acceptance email from UIC!

Now my problem is: which one? MWU or UIC?! :p

Tai said:
What did the rest of you that had your interviews at UIC think about it? Anyone care to share their thoughts, pros, cons about UIC?

The facilities seem old... what do you guys think?
I've heard that people at UIC are very comepetitive. Is it true?
Does UIC have any career fair to help students find summer internship?

touchfish said:
The facilities seem old... what do you guys think?
I've heard that people at UIC are very comepetitive. Is it true?
Does UIC have any career fair to help students find summer internship?

Well, it is an old school. =)

Age doesn't bother me too much since it's not like I will be sleeping there. As long as they have wireless and good profs, I'm good. Of course, it would be nice if they had more whiteboards around so I'm not sneezing from the chalk, but all good.

I think it's pretty people can be competitive anywhere, it's just personality of individuals.

Congrats kayjay and nikkai! I was accepted too! I cant contain myself!! :laugh: :clap:

Hey Everyone!

congrats! i'm happy to hear that you were all accepted! I too received an email from UIC indicating that I was accepted. it was delivered to my junk email box, good think I check that before I delete emails! :eek: I'm 95% sure I want to attend MWU CCP this fall...I love the idea of getting out in 3 years. However, UIC is 15 mins. away from my apt. and much cheaper.

anyone considering UIC's joint MBA-PharmD?

good luck in whatever program you choose!

kc

Members don't see this ad :)
I havent heard anything yet from UIC but Ive already decided that i will be attending MWU.....whether it be in Chicago or glendale. Im determined to finish in 3 years, which you cant do at UIC. plus I just didnt get a good vibe by the profs at UIC. But im sure its a good school

Tai said:
I havent heard anything yet from UIC but Ive already decided that i will be attending MWU.....whether it be in Chicago or glendale. Im determined to finish in 3 years, which you cant do at UIC. plus I just didnt get a good vibe by the profs at UIC. But im sure its a good school

yeah, the prof. i was interviewed by wasn't very impressive nor did he know much about the actual pharmD program. i received a much better vibe at MWU CCP too.

is anyone going to MWU CCP's meet and greet this saturday in Oak Brook? i'm going for about 1 hr...it's only for 2 hours, but i have a previous engagement that i can't reschedule.

It would be interesting to go, but I have to work this weekend, as usual..can't call off bc I called off all weekend last week. =X

I think I'm going to MWU. The environment is more appealing..plus, I've heard so many more positive things about the school.

Well just got the official word. Ive been waitlisted at UIC. No Worries though! I wanted to go to MWU anyways! =) Its okay as someone who really wanted to go to UIC got the spot.

Congrats to all of you!!! Yay for you!

I guess because I wanted to go UIC in the first place I didnt get a bad vibe from the profs. I wish u guys the best if u won't join me. :(

kayjay said:
It would be interesting to go, but I have to work this weekend, as usual..can't call off bc I called off all weekend last week. =X

I think I'm going to MWU. The environment is more appealing..plus, I've heard so many more positive things about the school.

My friend goes to MWU... she really likes it there! Congrats :)

Is any of you familiar with UIC's curriculum?
Does it focus more on community pharmacy or clinical pharmacy?

After much prayer and pacing and pulling out hair and talking to the gf...

UIC here I come!

nikkai said:
After much prayer and pacing and pulling out hair and talking to the gf...

UIC here I come!

Will love to see you in the fall!!! :D

FutureRxGal said:
Get ready for some brutal wind and winters! ;) :laugh:

Not as bad as Boston though right? =P

So... how bad are the winters? From what month to what month does it snow? brrrrrrrrr

nikkai said:
Not as bad as Boston though right? =P

So... how bad are the winters? From what month to what month does it snow? brrrrrrrrr

it depends from year to year. Normally it snows from nov. to mar. this year, it started in november and it last snowed in february. We having decent weather now about 50-60 degrees.

trishias said:
it depends from year to year. Normally it snows from nov. to mar. this year, it started in november and it last snowed in february. We having decent weather now about 50-60 degrees.

We hit 85 yesterday.

So, should I throw away my sandals and shorts now? =P

Dang, I gotta buy new tires for my car then. *sigh*

chocoholic said:
is it colder in chicago or new york?

chicago's definitely colder than NYC. i've been living in Chicago for 3 years now and have yet to become fully acclimated to the freezing temperatures. Sometimes you're walking around and you feel like the wind whips in your face and it's painfully cold or it feels like it's going to knock you over or that can barely move your legs while you're b/c it's so cold. brrrrr....

however, the spring and summer time are really great here. there's a new festival every weekend. the bars have beer gardens where you can sit outside and have drinks and enjoy the weather. the activity level is high during spring & summer b/c people begin hibernating as the temperature drops.

For those of you who have been accepted to MWU and have decided to attend..why MWU? For those who have been accepted to UIC and have decided to attend, why UIC? I know you have to trust your gut instinct and go where you feel you'll be happier, but I'm torn b/t the two schools!!!

I've heard plenty of positive thoughts about MWU (then again, it's just hearsay), and was/am leaning more toward MWU, but UIC would not be regarded as one of the top schools in the nation for nothing. Plus, the cost of attending UIC is less, it's been around for a while, and has been recognized for their program. Would the fact that you've graduated from a top 10 school stand out more on ur resume to employers? Does the name of the school really matter? After all, we're all going to be taking the same NAPLEX, and either way, we're graduating with a PharmD?...I feel so indecisive! :confused:

kayjay said:
For those of you who have been accepted to MWU and have decided to attend..why MWU? For those who have been accepted to UIC and have decided to attend, why UIC? I know you have to trust your gut instinct and go where you feel you'll be happier, but I'm torn b/t the two schools!!!

I've heard plenty of positive thoughts about MWU (then again, it's just hearsay), and was/am leaning more toward MWU, but UIC would not be regarded as one of the top schools in the nation for nothing. Plus, the cost of attending UIC is less, it's been around for a while, and has been recognized for their program. Would the fact that you've graduated from a top 10 school stand out more on ur resume to employers? Does the name of the school really matter? After all, we're all going to be taking the same NAPLEX, and either way, we're graduating with a PharmD?...I feel so indecisive! :confused:

I am on the same boat... but MWU is not one of my options.
Is there any current UIC student in this forum?
I think a lot of ppl chose UIC over MWU b/c of the tuition.
Is UIC really that bad? My friend has been telling me that students at UIC are competitive and not very friendly :( (My friend might be biased tho...)

I haven't been accepted to MWU (have a MCV on the 18th and haven't decided if Im still going). I like MWU's campus and have no doubt that it is a good school. However, my problem lies in making sure UIC is the right place for me. Ive waited for my acceptance letter for two years and now Im not sure. How do we decide????

UIC is ranked 13th, those rankings are based on $ universities get for research and the amount of publications their faculty produce. the pubs give both the faculty and university noteriety. MWU isn't ranked b/c they're mostly focused on teaching rather than research.

I've had many discussions w/the director of the hospital pharmacy where I volunteer and she said that she doesn't care where you graduate from, she looks at your resume and interviews you on your knowledge. she doesn't care where you went to school, period. i think that's the consensus. the director encouraged me to go to MWU too even though she went to UIC, many, many years ago when they still had the BS program. She said MWU has a great program. She said the knowledge the students convey during their rotations really depends on how much they try in school. She's seen smart and not so smart students rotate each year. It depends on the students. The majority of the pharmacists at the hospital attended UIC.

It's definitely a hard decision to make. I know that I keep thinking about the huge amount of debt I'll accrue, especially if i don't get into the AGO program.

I felt that i didn't see enough of UIC's program to pursuade me to go there. However, it's 15 mins. away from my apartment!

Good luck w/your decision! It's so tough!

Chicago question: Will I need snow tires? ie: switch from summer to snow every season? Or will all season cut it?

I don't wanna get rid of my ultra high performance tires.... *sigh*

no more zoom zoom. :(

nikkai said:
Chicago question: Will I need snow tires? ie: switch from summer to snow every season? Or will all season cut it?

I don't wanna get rid of my ultra high performance tires.... *sigh*

no more zoom zoom. :(

you don't need to switch. all season will cut it. the roads are cleared and salted quickly after snow accumulates. you'll have to dig your car out of your parking space, but other than that you should be fine. i haven't switched my tires yet. i moved to chicago from FL nearly 3 years ago.

Hi, guys. I'm a first year at MWU and I went to UIC for undergrad. I was waitlisted at UIC, but I wasn't really interested in going there- I just wanted to get in somewhere. I'll give you my perspective, but I'm biased.

I love MWU compared to my experience at UIC as an undergrad. The campus is so much nicer. I used to get e-mails when I was at UIC about rapes and robberies. Now our biggest problem on campus is the geese nesting. :laugh: The facilities (lecture halls, labs, etc) are a lot better also. The professors here are really dedicated to teaching and are easy to get a hold of outside of class if you need help. I just get a sense that the faculty here care more about the students. Dr. Lee (Dean of CCP) even went to one of our intermural soccer games. The students here are really friendly too. Because of all the group work that we do, and our smaller class size (compared to my undergrad experience) you get to know a lot of people within your class and in other programs (DO, PA, PT, etc.) The classes here aren't curved at all, as they are at UIC. I think that's why the students at UIC are more competetive.. they're fighting for their position on the bell curve. With us, it's only our individual performance that affects our grades, so we're more likely to help each other learn. For example, if you get an 85% on an exam at UIC it may or may not be a B depending on other students scores, but at MWU an 85% is a B even if the class average is a 90%. Also, financial aid is a big part of most students lives here, and the staff there are really nice. There's hardly any waiting (except for the first week when tuition's due- but even then it isn't bad) and they're very knowledgable. The location of the campus is good too. It's right by Yorktown mall and Oakbrook mall and a plethora of restaurants. Downtown is only a 20 min. drive away. I'm much happier here than I would have been at UIC COP and I don't mind paying the extra money.

chocoholic said:
is it colder in chicago or new york?

I live in NYC now..... Chicago is DEFINATELY colder and it has more wind! I'm currently debating between UIC or University of Texas-Austin....mmm. Why did UIC have to reply so soon??? Less time to make the big decision. Any suggestions on which road to take????

As far as rankings go.. Austin is #2 and UIC is #7. I believe there was 3 way tie for #4 which resulted in the next rank as 7. There is another tie at #7 which of course includes UIC. this is from the most recent rankings. UIC was #13 back in 1998 (by American's best graduate schools). http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/hea/heaindex_brief.php

I know there's a lot confusion about how schools get ranked. So I visited the U.S. and World news website and copied this statement...

"Each year, U.S. News ranks professional-school programs in business, education, engineering, law, pharmacy, and medicine. These rankings are based on two types of data: expert opinion about program quality and statistical indicators that measure the quality of a school's faculty, research, and students. For the rankings in all five areas, indicator and opinion data come from surveys of nearly 1,300 programs and almost 9,600 academics and professionals conducted in fall 2004.

This is only a brief synopsis so you'll have to go to the website if you would like to have more info.

As far as cost goes. You can probably get more financial aid for going to a private school. However keep in mind YOU HAVE TO PAY IT BACK SOMETIME.... Less $ owed = less time it takes to financial freedom.

However, It's a nice thought getting it done in 3yrs but in the case of South University in Savannah Georgia that means full time summer school. Most students might try to work during that time or travel abroad, etc. This might help to keep the loans down.

I wish the best of luck to my future colleagues and to whatever school you choose.

I looked at UIC's website and it said that for Fall 2005-Spring 2006 total costs are $7285. Is that for the entire year or per semester?

NYCillini said:
I looked at UIC's website and it said that for Fall 2005-Spring 2006 total costs are $7285. Is that for the entire year or per semester?

That's per semester (for IL residents)..I remember them telling us at my interview day that the total cost of tuition is around 14,000 something.

Yes, UIC will be $14000 total a year. So that being said, for those who are debating b/w UIC and MWU.....the difference is only $5000. I dont look at it as a huge factor quite frankly because if you decided to do the AGO program at MWU, you would be done in 3 years and be making more in that year saved and more than cover the extra tuition at MWU. Just putting it in perspecitve for those that are only going to UIC based on tuition. Also during your fourth year at UIC, (as my P3 friend at UIC has told me), you have to pay an extra $2000 - $3000 that summer in order to complete rotations and what not. So......you do the math.

UIC and MWU are both very good schools. Its what you want to make of it. A close friend that is a pharmacist graduated from the first year batch of her pharmacy school and has a very prestigious position as a pharmacist. Her school was barely accredited when she graduated!!! So keep that in mind when you are basing your decisions on ranking, it doesnt mean anything. If you've noticed, the rankings have very few, if any, private schools on the list. I dont think it justifies, by any means, the entire population of pharmacy schools.

MWU is very nurturing and team work oriented, UIC isnt. UIC brings a lot of research into classwork, MWU doesnt. Its what you prefer. Personally, I am determined to finish school in 3 years so UIC was sort of out of my realm of goals anyways, so im not upset at all that I got waitlisted. Also I went to a big public school for undergrad and dont want to learn in that sort of environment the second time around. That is my choice though.

On a safety note, I want to reiterate what Crossurfingers said about the muggings and rapes. I said this before on this thread.....I wouldnt live on campus if it isnt neccessary. So please be careful when you choose where u live if u go to UIC. ALWAYS carry MACE with you on or near campus. The rest of the city is fine (well....except Cabrini Green and Hyde Park).

Just some friendly advice for those out of town!

Does anyone know if MWU - CCP has any joint degree programs? I've been searching the website but could not find anything.

kayjay said:
Does anyone know if MWU - CCP has any joint degree programs? I've been searching the website but could not find anything.

CCP does not have any joint degrees - it is a health professional only school.

[On a safety note, I want to reiterate what Crossurfingers said about the muggings and rapes. I said this before on this thread.....I wouldnt live on campus if it isnt neccessary. So please be careful when you choose where u live if u go to UIC. ALWAYS carry MACE with you on or near campus. The rest of the city is fine (well....except Cabrini Green and Hyde Park).

Just some friendly advice for those out of town![/QUOTE]

Hyde Park is fine to live if you can afford it. Chicago is a big city meaning you can't leave your doors open/unlocked. But no matter where u go there will always be crime, not just around UIC. I have lived in Chicago all my life and haven't had a problem and I come from a rough neighborhood. I went to Loyola for undergrad, which is in the Rogers Park neighborhood and it has one of the worst crime rates in the city and nothing bad happened to me. You just have to be careful and watch your surroundings.

Sounds good. I'll just have to search patiently.

Has anyone received the hard copy of their acceptance yet?

Or do they want the money in their hands first? =P

I sent mine certified but the University had no one to sign for it so it's sitting in the post office. *sigh*

I resent another check and am stopping payment on the original one.

[I'll just have to search patiently.] QUOTE

I'm biased, but Lakeview & Lincoln Park are excellent neighborhoods to live in. Plus, they're very close to UIC's campus. 20 min. commute by car or train. However, they are pricey, but the best location (i.e. for restaurants, bars, clubs, parks, shops, etc.). It's about 1300 per month for a nice 2 bedroom apartment...I'd say about 750-1000 per month for a 1 bedroom. The lower end is usually a garden apartment.

There are some nice parts in Hyde Park & it's not as nearly as expensive as Lakeview or Lincoln Park. Also, the Univ. of Chicago's hospital is located there so if you plan on working while attending UIC you could definitely get a job there as a technician. However, it's really, really far south...it's not in the heart of the city like Lakeview & Lincoln Park. You can also find good prices far north in Rodgers Park, just as tricias (sp?---sorry!) mentioned. Plus, you can move closer to the Lake in Rodgers Park and it's definitely affordable. Depending on where you are in Rodgers Park it could take you about 1 hour to commute by train.

Let me know if you have any questions when you start searching for an apartment. I have friends residing in all parts of the city.

nikkai said:
Sounds good. I'll just have to search patiently.

Has anyone received the hard copy of their acceptance yet?

Or do they want the money in their hands first? =P

I sent mine certified but the University had no one to sign for it so it's sitting in the post office. *sigh*

I resent another check and am stopping payment on the original one.

Same here :( ... geez... usps is so irresponsible and disorganized... they have no idea where the mail is... all they can tell me is that it's sitting in the mail room...

so they told you to resend it? how do you stop payment on the orginial one?

They didn't tell me to resend it. I made that decision on my own. Didn't feel that it was right Ms. Fleming waste time in going to the USPS.

Sent it first class uncertified.

The certified mail, if not picked up in 15 days will be returned to me.

In the mean time I just told my bank to stop payment on that particular check number.

Sometimes your bank has fees for this, sometimes not. Call you bank to find out.

anyone heard back from UIC yet? :)

Pharmalli said:
anyone heard back from UIC yet? :)

you haven't! I heard last week by email.