UIC vs. EVMS vs. NYIT Jonesboro vs. Midwestern CCOM vs. Touro University Nevada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blubberingDO

Reaction score
I've been accepted to this group of 5 schools (2 MDs and 3 DO's). I live in Memphis, TN, and will have an S.O. living in Poughkeepsie, NY the next 4 years. She will come to visit me on every one of her breaks. My immediate family is in Memphis (near NYIT) and my grandparents are in Las Vegas (near Touro). I'm also an Air Force HPSP student who previously attended allopathic medical school for one semester. Thus, my tuition will be covered for 3.5 years of the program, and I will likely go through the military match. I'm not sure what I want to specialize in yet. I had a 3.83 GPA and 515 MCAT from a top-10 ranked liberal arts college.

1) UIC
Pros: Highest reputation based on US News rankings, 4-year combined MD/MPH program, proximity to a Jewish community in Chicago (I'm Jewish so that's important to me).
Cons: Cold winter weather, high cost of tuition first semester, relatively higher cost of living. I'm not much of an urbanite and the campus felt overwhelmingly city.

2) EVMS
Pros: Good reputation based on rankings and board pass rates, good match-list for military students, better weather in Norfolk, slightly lower cost of living but probably not a big difference because I'd want to live in the Ghent, which is an upscale area. The closest school to my girlfriend (about a 7.5-hour drive), etc. Near a strong Jewish community. Nicer-looking campus than UIC.

Cons) Far from any family for support and it's hard to get flights there. Some of the areas around Norfolk seem pretty unsafe, but that's true in any city.

3) Midwestern CCOM

Pros: Strong primary care reputation (#17 in US News), but lower research reputation. Possibly the best reputation for a DO school I've gotten into. Downers Grove is a nice and safe area, and the campus looks nice and modern although I didn't get to visit.

Cons: Frigid winter weather, high cost of living in Downers Grove, higher tuition (for the first semester). Also not near any family members or support system. About a 20-30 minute drive to any strong Jewish community.

4) Touro University Nevada

Pros: It's a Jewish-affiliated school, so I would get off for all holidays without having to request absences in advance. That was an issue in interfering with my studies in my previous medical school. Henderson has a strong Jewish community to be a part of during school. It's about 30-minutes from my grandparents, who are getting quite old, and my mom would love to come to visit me there. Henderson is safe and has nice weather when it's not summer. There is a kosher cafe for easy access to food during school.

Cons: High cost of living in Henderson, extremely hot and miserable summers, farthest away from my girlfriend (although it is not a bad flight to get from NYC to Vegas), unknown reputation but probably not the highest, relatively lower GPA/MCAT for accepted students. The school is just a big white building surrounded by car dealerships in a commercial area.

5) NYIT Jonesboro

Pros: Only 1 hr 25 minutes from my house, lowest cost of living (can get a really nice 2-bedroom apartment for well-within my stipend). The easiest and least complicated move. I might be able to take my dog with me. I received a Delta scholarship which takes 10% off my tuition (only helps the first semester). Parents are willing to come and help me with whatever I might need 1-2 times a week so I can focus on studying. They told me they would give me the days off for Jewish holidays if requested in advance. The cheapest tuition for the first semester. A 4-year DO/MBA program if I want that. Finally, there is a "Baptist program" where students can complete 3rd and 4th-year rotations in Baptist hospitals around Memphis, which could allow me to come back home to live and save on two years of rent/pocket my HPSP stipend. It's a competitive program but they strongly favor students from this area. A global health certificate program that sounds interesting to get some abroad experience. It's located on Arkansas State, which gives it a nice campus vibe and good athletic facilities.

Cons: Hot humid summers. Absolutely no Jewish life in Jonesboro, but I can drive home on the weekends to be a part of my existing community when possible. The unknown reputation of the school, but probably not the highest and lower than the allopathic. About a 3.6/505 stats for admitted students. Jonesboro has some very sketchy-looking areas and might not be the safest.

I need to make a final decision soon so any input is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Only you can decide how to weigh all of the variables. However, as an outsider looking at your acceptances and your stats, I can't believe you would turn down 2 MD programs for a DO. UIC is by far the highest rated school and you have 3 hub airlines (United, American and Southwest) in Chicago to provide you dozens of flights to either NY or Memphis. Does school ranking, trump proximity to SO, family or religious community? Only you can decide.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it's between UIC and NYIT based on your reasons. I would pick UIC. Such a strong jewish network in Chicago, good presence within medicine too, you'll be able to broaden your horizons and form strong networks there which will serve you down the line. Also UIC is a better pedigree, which may not matter that much for the military match, but all these things could matter down the line. The UIC OOS tuition is high, but it's a drop in the bucket in the broad scheme of things. Go to UIC and fly back to support networks IMO.

I strongly recommend you choose one of the MD schools. Also, if you choose DO, I would not recommend CCOM. I am a second year here and I can tell you that the tuition here is ridiculous all 4 years, and it does not feel good going to the most expensive school in the country.

Reactions: 1 users