UIC vs Loyola

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ihf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, I am making the decision between uic (chicago campus) and loyola. I know loyola is obviously better in ranking and has the better facilities but uic is much cheaper and in chicago. i also got into some other out of state schools but i want to stay in illinois. should i lean toward uic because it is a lot cheaper and still a great school? ( i am sort of leaning toward uic right now but need some help)

Members don't see this ad.

How did you feel about each school when you visited?

Members don't see this ad :)
no not for undergrad, but for med school or do those same reasons apply?

Here's another comparison thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=248713&highlight=loyola+tuition+summer

And here's a post I wrote about how the tuition between UIC and Loyola aren't as different as you think:

Whew. Loyola's tuition is $37,700 for each of the four years (with an approx. max 3% increase each year). No misrepresentation there! :p I spoke to a woman in the financial aid office, because otherwise, the only info I could find was this:

http://www.meddean.luc.edu/admissions/factsheet.htm

Ok, so I double checked on UIC's site, and it appears that they only charge the surplus for the summer after MS2 and MS3. The 2007-2008 tuition is about $25,500, and the summers are each $9,344:

http://www.uic.edu/depts/mcam/finaid/pdf/2007-2008/2007_2008_COM_Student_Financial_Aid_Budgets.pdf

So, figuring four years, without the minor annual increases that occur at both UIC and Loyola, tuition would be:

UIC: $120,000
Loyola: $150,000

So, there is a $30,000 tuition difference. But it's not the $48,800 difference there appears to be if you don't know about the surplus summer charge.

Wait a minute. I just looked, and Loyola charges $3,000 for four years of fees. UIC charges $12,000 in fees for the four years (including the two summers). So, that brings the difference between tuition and fees to be:

UIC: $132,000
Loyola: $153,000

Difference: $21,000

So, as you can see, UIC is not AS cheap as it first appears. Those two 9k summers and high fees need to be added in. I think that UIC's location beats Loyola, UIC's clinical training is phenomenal, and they have better research opportunities. But I think that Loyola's students seem happier on the whole, and I think their facilities, curriculum and administration top UIC's. There are many other factors, but I know I've posted on this topic many times before (but am too lazy to go looking for my previous posts right now). Good luck with your decision.

UIC is significantly cheaper isnt it?

UIC is significantly cheaper isnt it?

Read my post #5 above. Over the course of 4 years, UIC is $21,000 cheaper than Loyola. It's not "significantly cheaper" to me, but that's just my opinion.

Oh, and I just posted in the UIC thread - UIC is having a second look day on April 25th. OP - might want to check it out if you're still on the fence then.

Can you do the same analysis for OOS?

hey guys, I am making the decision between uic (chicago campus) and loyola. I know loyola is obviously better in ranking and has the better facilities but uic is much cheaper and in chicago. i also got into some other out of state schools but i want to stay in illinois. should i lean toward uic because it is a lot cheaper and still a great school? ( i am sort of leaning toward uic right now but need some help)

Loyola tops UIC in ranking?? May want to check that again chief. Not that I really care, but last I checked UIC is ranked in the top 60 NIH funded research institution and Loyola is no where to be found in those. Both are great schools no doubt, and the arguments above are valid, I don't think you could go wrong either way.

Loyola tops UIC in ranking?? May want to check that again chief. Not that I really care, but last I checked UIC is ranked in the top 60 NIH funded research institution and Loyola is no where to be found in those. Both are great schools no doubt, and the arguments above are valid, I don't think you could go wrong either way.

agreed. And UIC is ranked (according to this NIH site http://grants.nih.gov/grants/award/rank/medttl05.htm) 48th to Loyola 89th. Loyola does seem to top UIC in facility quality, however.