UIC vs. OHSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Broadstreet1

Reaction score
So I was accepted OOS to UIC this winter, but I have just gotten an offer from OHSU (also OOS). The total costs for each school (I linked them below) initially appear the same, but they do not seem to include everything, for example the UIC estimate does not include cost of living.

OOS tuition in general is ungodly but if anyone has insight into which would be a better deal in the long run I'd be incredibly grateful!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Instead of looking at random websites, go straight to each school's website and determine from there. I don't know why you had to ask a question on here, I took 2 min to look it up and found both:

UIC: ~$295K for 4 years
OHSU: ~$350K for 4 years

Easy decision -- UIC

Instead of looking at random websites, go straight to each school's website and determine from there. I don't know why you had to ask a question on here, I took 2 min to look it up and found both:

UIC: ~$295K for 4 years
OHSU: ~$350K for 4 years

Easy decision -- UIC

Thanks for that, however the OHSU website includes cost of living while UIC does not. This was directed more towards people with experience living in Portland vs. Chicago and how the actual costs of rent/textbooks/food compare to the estimates listed by the schools

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for that, however the OHSU website includes cost of living while UIC does not. This was directed more towards people with experience living in Portland vs. Chicago and how the actual costs of rent/textbooks/food compare to the estimates listed by the schools
I didn't include living costs, as living costs can be as much or as little as you want them to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
rent in chicago for a 2 bedroom is about AVG. 1000 per month with a roommate

which would be a better deal in the long run I'd be incredibly grateful!
where do you live now? what are your personal/professional goals? both cities are expensive. I honestly bet COL (cost of living) is negligible. UIC is likely your winner. me, personally, I'd prefer the west coast/ hiking/ camping/ etc over the windy city. better night life in chicago, no doubt. also the summer is probably "more fun.". depends on what you're into. you should go with your gut and if the tuition difference is more than 20K go to the cheapest school. my spider senses tell me this is UIC.

UIC OOS costs much more than $295K. I believe tuition OOS is ~80-100K/yr.

Yeah without factoring in interest and assuming no tuition increases the current total cost of UIC OOS is 440k (this is also without cost of living). OHSU totals up to 440k also but that is including the quoted cost of living of 22k per year, which I think is ridiculous because I would definitely choose to have roommates so I could probably get by on half that. Overall I think OHSU would end up being closer to 400k after adjusting the budget for my lifestyle

where do you live now? what are your personal/professional goals? both cities are expensive. I honestly bet COL (cost of living) is negligible. UIC is likely your winner. me, personally, I'd prefer the west coast/ hiking/ camping/ etc over the windy city. better night life in chicago, no doubt. also the summer is probably "more fun.". depends on what you're into. you should go with your gut and if the tuition difference is more than 20K go to the cheapest school. my spider senses tell me this is UIC.

I live in WI, about 90 mins north of Chicago by train (I got waitlisted at Marquette) so UIC is definitely closer to my family and friends which is nice in case of an emergency/loneliness lol. I honestly don't know what sector of dentistry I want to go into, but I know Chicago has a huge patient pool for clinicals and Portland probably wouldn't be much different in that aspect. I do really prefer outdoorsy hiking/camping stuff as far as recreation goes since I'm from a pretty rural area originally but I also don't think I'd ever be bored in Chicago. I think I'm going to talk it over with my loved ones and see what they think. Thanks so much for the thoughtful response, it really helped me think some of this stuff through!

Yes, when everything is factored in, the prices will be similar. I’d choose OHSU if I were you, it’s a well regarded school with a very small class size, which is a huge plus.