UIC vs. Rush Medical College

Started by weezer230
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

weezer230

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey,
I know these debates were done before but i was curious, all other things aside, which school do you think has a better reputation (nationally, not just regionally)? I know choosing between the school has a lot to do with how one feels about it (gut instinct), how much it costs, what you are personally looking to get out of medical school... but i am curious if anyone has any numbers that would lead one to believe that one school has a better reputation than another.

Thanks for your help.
 
theyre both ranked the same on USNews though UIC had a higher peer assessment score...personally, id go with UIC if instate, Rush if oos
 
After I got into UIC, I withdrew from Rush......then they rejected me 🙂. Anyway, Rush seemed really unorganized with the whole admissions process, and rejected people for being overqualified.

But, on to the meaningful stuff. I have talked to many many people about these two schools. I'm not sure how Rush and UIC compare clinically and for residency, but I always hear that UIC is much better for med school, and that UIC is really underrated. Especially, UIC has a great anatomy program. What I usually hear is that although Rush has good facilities and all, they coddle their students and make it really cushy for them...to the point where they actually don't learn as much. Don't shoot the messenger.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
jbrice1639 said:
😕 😕 😕

I'm dead serious. A friend of mine hadn't gotten in anywhere and he got the same letter I did. "Of the people of your academic standing, we only accepted a small percentage." Stupid.
 
luhando said:
After I got into UIC, I withdrew from Rush......then they rejected me 🙂. Anyway, Rush seemed really unorganized with the whole admissions process, and rejected people for being overqualified.

But, on to the meaningful stuff. I have talked to many many people about these two schools. I'm not sure how Rush and UIC compare clinically and for residency, but I always hear that UIC is much better for med school, and that UIC is really underrated. Especially, UIC has a great anatomy program. What I usually hear is that although Rush has good facilities and all, they coddle their students and make it really cushy for them...to the point where they actually don't learn as much. Don't shoot the messenger.

The people that are going to UIC talk bad about Rush, and the people that are going to Rush talk bad about UIC, so the moral of the story is don't take advice about either school from someone who is going to one of the two. That being said, I chose Rush over UIC. 🙂

The truth is that it is a very personal choice, and both schools are good. You'll get a fine medical education from either one, so choose the school that you felt most comfortable at. Choose the school that you could see yourself at for the next four years.
 
Whootman said:
The people that are going to UIC talk bad about Rush, and the people that are going to Rush talk bad about UIC, so the moral of the story is don't take advice about either school from someone who is going to one of the two. That being said, I chose Rush over UIC. 🙂

The truth is that it is a very personal choice, and both schools are good. You'll get a fine medical education from either one, so choose the school that you felt most comfortable at. Choose the school that you could see yourself at for the next four years.

i agree with you...but i chose rush over UIC based on what i heard from people that didnt go to either school. i know it says i got rejected from rush on my mdapps, but i withdrew from there after i got into UIC. they just decided to reject me after i rejected them 🙂.
 
luhando said:
"Of the people of your academic standing, we only accepted a small percentage." Stupid.

I believe they sent that to everyone as a post-secondary pre-interview rejection, not just folks with high numbers. But I agree, stupid wording.
 
rush has a higher reputation because I'M going to go there (i'm pretty sure). :laugh: i'm kidding though. really i have no idea. but then again, UIC does have that gym... and you know there's a dunkin' donuts at the el stop right where the two schools are.
 
red dot said:
rush has a higher reputation because I'M going to go there (i'm pretty sure). :laugh: i'm kidding though. really i have no idea. but then again, UIC does have that gym... and you know there's a dunkin' donuts at the el stop right where the two schools are.

haha...yeah as much as ive heard...i would guess that theyre probably pretty similar.
 
I'll preface this by saying that I'm going to UIC, and got rejected post-interview from Rush (was really surprised by that, I still don't understand why). But I know that I was figuring that if I got in there I was going to choose between those two, and after spending significant time at both schools, here's my impressions (and I'm honestly trying to make this as unbiased as possible)

- Rush has a smaller class size (~130) and a much more "family" feel between the students and faculty. They do provide a lot of "hand-holding" to their students. This can be a good or bad thing depending on what you're looking for. UIC's class (in chicago anyway) is slightly bigger (around 175), and students are generally left to their own devices (I've heard the administration is pretty awful), but are considered to be extremely self-sufficient when they graduate, and are given more autonomy in 3rd and 4th years than at Rush.

- Rush probably has better instruction during M1 and M2 years, and UIC has better opportunities and experiences M3 and M4. I've heard that UIC really shines in its clinical years, and that's what is really the most important aspect of a school (since everybody has to learn basic sciences stuff first 2 years)

- UIC is known for having politically and socially conscious/active students. Many students are involved in policy/political type organizations, and that is generally much more tolerated and open than any other school in the chicago area. This might only be a pro/con if you're interested in policy/advocacy stuff (I know I am)

There's other stuff, but that's what sticks out the most to me. And of course, if you're an in-stater, there's the price difference. I honestly believe that if I had gotten into Rush as well, I would have still chosen UIC. But you have to make the decision for yourself. Good luck!
 
Hello all, and congrats on getting into UIC and/or Rush! Like many of you, I am totally confused as to which of these two school to attend. I was wondering if any of you prospective or current students out there could help me clear a few things up.

I've added up the numbers for the difference in price across all four years between the schools. When I factored in UIC's added summer school tuition, the price difference isn't as significant as I thought. I guess I always thought that UIC would be much cheaper because it is in-state, but unfortunately, it is one of the highest priced state schools in the country. So money aside, I am trying to figure out which school will give me the better education. I want to compare the average USMLE scores between the 2 schools, but I only have Rush's stats. I can't seem to find UIC's anywhere. Does anyone know that information?

I seem to get the vibe that Rush's students are happier and less stressed than those at UIC. However, if this more relaxed atmosphere does not prepare students for the boards in the same way that UIC does, then I would opt for UIC. On the other hand, if students at both schools seem to do equally as well, I would rather keep my sanity for the four years and go to Rush. Any thoughts would be GREATLY apprectiated. Thanks!
 
I don't know if UIC posts their board scores, but both schools have a good passing rate, and from what I've heard board scores has much more to do with the individual than the school (although I could be wrong). Even if you did find the stats, it would be tough to compare atatistically, since Rush has fewer students (~130) than UIC (~175 at Chicago campus, around 300 if you add all three campuses together).

They're both good schools, and med school will be stressful no matter where you go. I think it boils down to a matter of wanting the "hand-holding" (which works for some people), which may lead to less stress, but probably prepares you less for residency, versus the extra autonomy you get at UIC during your clinical years. While that might not necessarily translate to board scores, it is something to keep in mind.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i had absolutely NO "handholding" from my alma mater, 👎 and i think, that had it been the other way around, my choices in college would have put me in a much better position to apply.
yeah we had a pre-med advisor. she was m.i.a. and i've never actually met her in person (though some people i know have. half of them liked her a lot, the other half hated her guts). i actually had 4 academic advisors (some from scholarships) in total, all of whom had little to zip knowledge about pre-med labors. this was not a good thing.

i noticed that the faculty at Rush were extra down-to-earth in comparison to other schools i interviewed at, but i didn't know they were known for "handholding." and now, thanks for the info you guys provided in this thread, i think i'm pretty sure i'm going to Rush! (i'm trying to decide b/n that and Drexel, and i had a hectic/impersonal experience there. anyone else?)

i like my hands held 😍 no handholding = the suck.
 
When you call it handholding, it makes the Rush students sound like babies. I just liked the fact that the Rush administration is very supportive and helpful toward their students. There's a lot to deal with in medical school, and for me personally, I felt like the very supportive environment would be a positive experience for me.
 
I never said any of that was a bad thing...it's all a matter of personal preference. You have to go to the school which feels like the best fit for you. For me, that was UIC, but for others, it may be Rush, and that's fine. But that doesn't mean you should ignore the differences between the schools.