uic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oshanimalia

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've tried looking at past links but none of them were recent enough for me to gauge.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you in-state or out of state?
In state. However, after looking at tuition (UIC actually charges tuition for summers of M2-M3 and M3-M4) the difference between Rush and UIC money is something that isn't a factor to me anymore, as the difference in cost isnt' great enough for me to choose one over the other.

As you know I interviewed at both. Rush was my favorite by a mile because I just absolutely loved the culture and every experience I've had there so far has been excellent. I would also have some concerns about attending a public illinois institution given the current budget situation.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
Yes.

I would like to stay in Chicago, so that's my reason for selecting between those two

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Uic would be about $50,000 cheaper overall.

Rush is higher ranked, but both schools send students on to prestigious residencies in all fields.

I have to say: go with your gut. This choice will likely impact your career potential very little unless you want to go into orthopedics, in which case I'd say go to rush. Otherwise, doesn't particularly matter.

Large dogs

Reactions: 1 user
Uic would be about $50,000 cheaper overall.

Rush is higher ranked, but both schools send students on to prestigious residencies in all fields.

I have to say: go with your gut. This choice will likely impact your career potential very little unless you want to go into orthopedics, in which case I'd say go to rush. Otherwise, doesn't particularly matter.

Large dogs
My parents, who care about ranking, looked up us world news and said rush is lower than uic. @gyngyn and @DokterMom told me those reports are essentially bogus, though. What is your criteria for ranking, if you don't mind me asking?

My parents, who care about ranking, looked up us world news and said rush is lower than uic. @gyngyn and @DokterMom told me those reports are essentially bogus, though. What is your criteria for ranking, if you don't mind me asking?

The same as everyone else's: completely based on my own perception. Which one did you like more? Just choose that one. Are your parents paying for this? If no, why do they get a say in your decision?

Large dogs

Hey Oshanimalia, I am an incoming M1 at Rush, I work at Rush in neuro so I'm pretty knowledgeable about the area, and I have a good friend at UIC who I emailed for advice on this UIC vs. Rush dilemma which I had because I am also instate. I ended up going with Rush because I have a few friends there who were super happy. I'm interested in EM/Surgery and wanted to rotate at Cook County and the new Tower hospital. For me, it was worth the extra $$$ because I liked Rush and my friend had griped about the public med school thing for a while.

Here's a pro/con list I made on another post for Rush.

Pros:
  1. Amazing clinical rotation sites. Cook County = crazy diverse population and you will have an amazing EM/surgery rotation. Rush Medical Center = Basically brand new hospital, with Midwest Ortho ranked sixth in the US. Clinical rotation sites are also next to each other. No driving to distant hospitals for rotations. You can get everywhere without stepping outside due to a complex system of sky bridges.

2. Students are pretty darn happy with lots of step 1 prep time and recorded lectures.

3. Besides the weather, Chicago is an awesome city. It has the soul a vibrant and cultured big city without the ticket price. Rents are affordable and you have great culture.

4. Solid Match list every year and has a reputation for great clinical training

5. Community service focus. The lady who runs their community outreach is amazing and she pushes the student body to do cool stuff for the community. M1s can do awesome stuff in underserved areas within the first two months at school. For example, M1s triage pts at a health drive on the South side in October.

6. Reputation for matriculating cool people

7. Cool areas to live in within a reasonable distance from school. WP, Logan square, Bucktown, West Loop, Little Italy

8. Systems based Curriculum with physicianship program

9. Undergoing a big expansion, so Rush will be even better in the future. New $500 million outpatient center (damn).

10. Great Global Health opportunities. Trips to Haiti, DR, and Belize

11. Good Research culture, students can cold call professors for research on the reg.

12. Summers in Chicago are amazing, which includes Lollapalooza.

13. Deep dish pizza

14. The Cubs and Wrigley Field

15. Lake Michigan, Grant Park, and the over 16 miles of Lakefront running paths.

16. Good public transit. The EL train runs right by Rush, connecting you with lots of good neighborhoods.
Cons:
  1. Not P/F

2. Knocking down student housing.

3. $$$$$ - The cost difference between UIC and Rush is NOT huge. UIC charges charges $11,000 extra tution for M3 and M4 summers.

4. Weather

5. I wish it had more NIH $$$

6. Not the best facilities. But I hear they are working on that.
UIC - From my convo with a current M3. Definitley not as in depth as Rush, so take it with a grain of salt.

Pros -

1. We have a really diverse student body, we also have in general a collaborative and non competitive environment, which helps a lot especially at the beginning.

2. Most of the students are really independent the first 2 years... Some people didn't go to any classes (I went to most). UICs curriculum is in the process of changing and is kinda unorganized at times. Rush has systems blocks (like all aspects about lungs or GI, etc) which are beneficial.

3. UICs curriculum is class based so first year you take biochem, physio, anatomy, histology, neuroscience. And second year you take pathology, clinical pathophysiology, pharm and micro, and the exams second year are in midterm blocks. We also have integration of clinical skills mixed in with our first and second years.

4. Good clinical sites but not as good as Rush.

5. Good match list.

6. New facilties for students.

7. Cheaper $$$$

Cons -

1. Old Hospital and not really expanding unlike Rush with the new outpatient center.

2. You have to travel to clinical sites, which is rougher in the winter.

3. Doesn't have a new updated ciriculum style.

4. I've heard the administration is slow to enact change and can be hard to deal with because its a public school.

5. Less great of a rep as Rush, especially in Neuro, ortho, and EM (due to stroger)

6. Students seem to be less happy - subjective.

I would say the biggest differences that I know of are that cost, Rush has a much larger hospital than UIC, certain very strong programs, Rush is private UIC is public, Rush is affliated with Cook County Hospital, systems vs not systems curriculum, Rush stresses community service, and the students are very happy.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey Oshanimalia, I am an incoming M1 at Rush, I work at Rush in neuro so I'm pretty knowledgeable about the area, and I have a good friend at UIC who I emailed for advice on this UIC vs. Rush dilemma which I had because I am also instate. I ended up going with Rush because I have a few friends there who were super happy. I'm interested in EM/Surgery and wanted to rotate at Cook County and the new Tower hospital. For me, it was worth the extra $$$ because I liked Rush and my friend had griped about the public med school thing for a while.

Here's a pro/con list I made on another post for Rush.

Pros:
  1. Amazing clinical rotation sites. Cook County = crazy diverse population and you will have an amazing EM/surgery rotation. Rush Medical Center = Basically brand new hospital, with Midwest Ortho ranked sixth in the US. Clinical rotation sites are also next to each other. No driving to distant hospitals for rotations. You can get everywhere without stepping outside due to a complex system of sky bridges.

2. Students are pretty darn happy with lots of step 1 prep time and recorded lectures.

3. Besides the weather, Chicago is an awesome city. It has the soul a vibrant and cultured big city without the ticket price. Rents are affordable and you have great culture.

4. Solid Match list every year and has a reputation for great clinical training

5. Community service focus. The lady who runs their community outreach is amazing and she pushes the student body to do cool stuff for the community. M1s can do awesome stuff in underserved areas within the first two months at school. For example, M1s triage pts at a health drive on the South side in October.

6. Reputation for matriculating cool people

7. Cool areas to live in within a reasonable distance from school. WP, Logan square, Bucktown, West Loop, Little Italy

8. Systems based Curriculum with physicianship program

9. Undergoing a big expansion, so Rush will be even better in the future. New $500 million outpatient center (damn).

10. Great Global Health opportunities. Trips to Haiti, DR, and Belize

11. Good Research culture, students can cold call professors for research on the reg.

12. Summers in Chicago are amazing, which includes Lollapalooza.

13. Deep dish pizza

14. The Cubs and Wrigley Field

15. Lake Michigan, Grant Park, and the over 16 miles of Lakefront running paths.

16. Good public transit. The EL train runs right by Rush, connecting you with lots of good neighborhoods.
Cons:
  1. Not P/F

2. Knocking down student housing.

3. $$$$$ - The cost difference between UIC and Rush is NOT huge. UIC charges charges $11,000 extra tution for M3 and M4 summers.

4. Weather

5. I wish it had more NIH $$$

6. Not the best facilities. But I hear they are working on that.
UIC - From my convo with a current M3. Definitley not as in depth as Rush, so take it with a grain of salt.

Pros -

1. We have a really diverse student body, we also have in general a collaborative and non competitive environment, which helps a lot especially at the beginning.

2. Most of the students are really independent the first 2 years... Some people didn't go to any classes (I went to most). UICs curriculum is in the process of changing and is kinda unorganized at times. Rush has systems blocks (like all aspects about lungs or GI, etc) which are beneficial.

3. UICs curriculum is class based so first year you take biochem, physio, anatomy, histology, neuroscience. And second year you take pathology, clinical pathophysiology, pharm and micro, and the exams second year are in midterm blocks. We also have integration of clinical skills mixed in with our first and second years.

4. Good clinical sites but not as good as Rush.

5. Good match list.

6. New facilties for students.

7. Cheaper $$$$

Cons -

1. Old Hospital and not really expanding unlike Rush with the new outpatient center.

2. You have to travel to clinical sites, which is rougher in the winter.

3. Doesn't have a new updated ciriculum style.

4. I've heard the administration is slow to enact change and can be hard to deal with because its a public school.

5. Less great of a rep as Rush, especially in Neuro, ortho, and EM (due to stroger)

6. Students seem to be less happy - subjective.

I would say the biggest differences that I know of are that cost, Rush has a much larger hospital than UIC, certain very strong programs, Rush is private UIC is public, Rush is affliated with Cook County Hospital, systems vs not systems curriculum, Rush stresses community service, and the students are very happy.
I really appreciate this list. Thank you! (I'll see you this coming fall with fish 94)

Reactions: 1 users
UIC since their curriculum is much more modern while Rush's "new" curriculum essentially tried to copy them but is still old school. They're really similar otherwise so just go with your gut. You can't go wrong with either one for ( for future students obviously ).