UIC or Pitt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. Beefy Lion

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I haven't received my financial aid package from Pitt yet but I'm making this thread because I will only have 2 days to decide once I get that aid package.

UIC:
-I'm an IL resident so I would be close to home
-cost should be about the same as Pitt

Pitt:
-probably better probability to match a competitive specialty if I find that's what I'm interested in
-more research opportunities

I know no one can make the decision for me, just looking for input. Also any current students at these schools please chime in on your experiences

Members don't see this ad.

If cost is the same, definitely go to Pitt.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pitt, I had acceptees turn down Mayo, Dartmouth for Pitt as their research is outstanding
Thank you for the response. Is the degree of difference in research between Pitt and UIC that much of a difference maker in terms of future career?

OP - do you have a reason NOT to go love somewhere else for a few years? You can always go back to IL for residency or after.

Disclaimer: I am on the WL at Pitt and would love to go there to be near my SO, despite that I'm currently holding at a "higher ranked" school, whatever that means

If you don't have any strong personal attachement to Chicago or IL and don't mind living in the city of Pittsburgh for 4 years, my vote is with Pittsburgh too. And @gonnif and the others above are on the money about it being a slight advantage if you want to go into academia outside of the region. The only caveat is that the advantage Pitt has over UIC wanes significantly as you move west across the map.

Disclaimer: I am on the WL at Pitt and would love to go there to be near my SO, despite that I'm currently holding at a "higher ranked" school, whatever that means

If you don't have any strong personal attachement to Chicago or IL and don't mind living in the city of Pittsburgh for 4 years, my vote is with Pittsburgh too. And @gonnif and the others above are on the money about it being a slight advantage if you want to go into academia outside of the region. The only caveat is that the advantage Pitt has over UIC wanes significantly as you move west across the map.
I see your points and am leaning towards Pitt. I looked at my financial aid for UIC again and it turns out Pitt will probably be about $35,000 more over the course of 4 years. Would you guys still recommend Pitt considering the difference in COA?

Pitt!!! Come join me in UPSOM Class of 2020!

Reactions: 1 user