uic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docsmiley

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello,
Has any one yet applied to UIC?
Can any one tell me whether it is better to send toefl scores to the college r at our homes and include themin our application?
also, by what time do they begin calling students for interviews?
thanks .

Members don't see this ad.

hello,
Can any one tell me whether it is better to send toefl scores to the college r at our homes and include themin our application?
thanks .
docsmiley, I haven't applied but its better to do both. Send them a copy of your report with the appl. and have toefl report scores directly to them.

hello,
thanks .
i have applied and send toefl scores directly mailed from the center. uic has received it and my application is complete. what r ur toefl and nbde scores?
all the best. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
i have applied and send toefl scores directly mailed from the center. uic has received it and my application is complete. what r ur toefl and nbde scores?
all the best. :thumbup:

hi howsu..my toefl is 107 and nbde 1 is 87...
i av not given part 2..
what are your scores??
take care...

hello,
thanks .

hi, did u apply? is the application complete? have u heard from them? when do they start calling for interview. all the best. pray for me, please.
take care.

hi howsu..

how long did the college take to tell you that your application is com p,lete?
i have mailed them the application..but no response yet...

Here is some info that I have, since I was in the same boat last year.

For UIC (last year) I included: The application, the fee, part I/II scores in NDBE sealed envelopes, TOEFL in original envelope, sealed recommendation letters, personal statement, copy of green card or citizenship, ECE evaluation in a sealed envelope from ECE, copy of dental diploma and transcripts.

I put ALL of the above in one large envelope and sent it the middle of April. I believe UIC does a combination of rolling and regular application review.

For my batch the interviews started Early to Middle August and continued till about sep/oct (75 students were interviewed for 24 spots). I was interviewed in 3rd week of august. I received my acceptance in the middle of October.

As far as application completion status it may take time, the professors/administrators are VERY busy with our class. So, hang in there.

Here is some general stats info per my opinion (NOT that of UIC)

I think attractive stats can be and NOT limited to: Part I 87+, Part II passing, TOEFL 97+, GPA 3.0+, personal statement (including why you have interest in UIC & chicago area), good recommendation letters, your dental experience - i.e. dental asst. work or dental hygiene lic(i.e. FL). - They want to know you are still attached to dentistry and keep up with current US practice.

Even with all of the above, remember just like any other dental school interviews or acceptances is NOT guaranteed, so prepare for backups and other options.

I love UIC, the professors and classmates are Amazing - It is a very good learning experience. The program is expensive so prepare for it.

Keep faith and don't lose hope.

Dentalbug

For UIC (last year) I included: The application, the fee, part I/II scores in NDBE sealed envelopes, TOEFL in original envelope, sealed recommendation letters, personal statement, copy of green card or citizenship, ECE evaluation in a sealed envelope from ECE, copy of dental diploma and transcripts.

I put ALL of the above in one large envelope and sent it the middle of April. I believe UIC does a combination of rolling and regular application review.

For my batch the interviews started Early to Middle August and continued till about sep/oct (75 students were interviewed for 24 spots). I was interviewed in 3rd week of august. I received my acceptance in the middle of October.

As far as application completion status it may take time, the professors/administrators are VERY busy with our class. So, hang in there.

I think attractive stats can be and NOT limited to: Part I 87+, Part II passing, TOEFL 97+, GPA 3.0+, personal statement (including why you have interest in UIC & chicago area), good recommendation letters, your dental experience - i.e. dental asst. work or dental hygiene lic(i.e. FL). - They want to know you are still attached to dentistry and keep up with current US practice.

Even with all of the above, remember just like any other dental school interviews or acceptances is NOT guaranteed, so prepare for backups and other options.

I love UIC, the professors and classmates are Amazing - It is a very good learning experience. The program is expensive so prepare for it.

Dentalbug
hi..dentalbug..
thanks a lot for the post...

hi dental bug thank you so much for your help.................i have a lil low stats and i am intrested in uic only....nbde 1-82, toefl- 104, gpa- 3.75,6 month dental assistant exp do you think i have aaaannnny chance in uic...or i should retake the exam.....
kindly help

hi dental bug thank you so much for your help.................i have a lil low stats and i am intrested in uic only....nbde 1-82, toefl- 104, gpa- 3.75,6 month dental assistant exp do you think i have aaaannnny chance in uic...or i should retake the exam.....
kindly help

If you have not taken part II, then take it, also you may want to consider taking Part I again - i dont think 82 is a very competitive score.

good luck

Dentalbug

Dentalbug

hello dental bug..can u tell me something about the practical/ bench test and interview in UIC? my NBDE-1 score is very low- 80 :oops: but am just trying out my lucky stars before i reappear for exam.my application has been prossesed. according to u any chance i might be called for an interview?please help me..

drrjp

Your part I score is low, I dont think there is anyone in our class with a score of 80. You should definitely take the Part I again, since you applied already it is good to get the app in, so if they dont call you this year, and you improve your part I score then you will have a better chance next year.

Good luck

Dentalbug

hi dentalbug

i am interested in UIC too. Got 90 part1
GPA:3.88
Toffel :105
what's the best way to contact the admission office as they do not answer their phone calls
what do u think of my chances of getting an interview?
what were the average scores in your class?
any tips for the interview??

thanks a lot

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
hi dentalbug

what's the best way to contact the admission office as they do not answer their phone calls

thanks a lot

I am also looking for the same info.If anybody has any other number to call,please post.

what are your scores blueskydentist?

hi dentalbug

thanks a lot

You have very good part I, GPA and TOEFL. You need to show them interest in UIC and your current dental related activity. Also you must have GC or be a US citizen. Finally, try to take part II if you have not done so already. Even after you do this, it is up to the admission committee, there were students with part I in 90s not get accepted or received interviews.

Good Luck

P.S. The UIC staff is extremely busy, best way to contact IDDP is via email.

Dentalbug

hi..
is is true that uic prefers to admit in state residents..could that be the reason for outside state students not being interviewed?
any input is appreciated...
what else could be the criteria for choosing ..inspite of having a good score???
thanks..

hi..
my question is whether dentists will give reccomendation letter for observing in their office..i go to observe at a place once in a week..and im wondering how i should ask for a reccomendation letter...is it hard to get them to write a letter for observation?

hello dental bug..can u tell me something about the practical/ bench test and interview in UIC? my NBDE-1 score is very low- 80 :oops: but am just trying out my lucky stars before i reappear for exam.my application has been prossesed. according to u any chance i might be called for an interview?please help me..

hey dental bug thanx for ur opinion. i know my score is too less i am just trying.thanx for the help i appreciate tht.gud luck with ur school..

Hi guys. Does anyone know if UIC waives the TOEFL requirement for English speaking countries other than United States, the United Kingdom, Canada (except Quebec), Australia and New Zealand? Thanks

Hi guys. Does anyone know if UIC waives the TOEFL requirement for English speaking countries other than United States, the United Kingdom, Canada (except Quebec), Australia and New Zealand? Thanks

TOEFL is a requirement, so It would not be waived. But if you come from english speaking countries then get a 100+ on TOEFEL would be very very easy. So, it would look good to get a score that reflects you do know English.

Dentalbug

when would we expect an interview letter from UIC ?

Good Luck

Dentalbug

thanks for your prompt reply
can i ask you when did you apply ?

i applied in June and they opened the application in February is it late ??..i am trying to figure out when should i expect an interview letter :)
thanks for ur help

Thanks dentalbug..appreciate it

can some 1 tell me if ur a reapplicant to uic do we have to apply our scores again or the last yrs 1 are ok can we update that

thanks for your prompt reply
can i ask you when did you apply ?

i applied in June and they opened the application in February is it late ??..i am trying to figure out when should i expect an interview letter :)
thanks for ur help

I applied in April, It is hard to figure out when any one will get interview, but hope the above info gives you some ideas.

If you are applying to UIC you do need to send in new application along with scores and eval in a original sealed envelopes.

good luck

Dentalbug

Hi Dental bug
I have 83 in part 1 and wanted to apply to uic.I am retaking in july but will not get the result before the last last of uic , can i apply with 83 score and update with new score later .will they consider my new score if that is better?

83 is a low score, but you can apply and update your score later. App fee is 150, so consider that. It all depends on your whole application, but In my opinion I highly recommend a part of 87+.

Good luck

Dentalbug

Do you know what is the last date for applying at UIC ?

83 is a low score, but you can apply and update your score later. App fee is 150, so consider that. It all depends on your whole application, but In my opinion I highly recommend a part of 87+.

Good luck

Dentalbug
thanks a lot for your reply

hi dental bug i applied in uic last year my nbde 1 is 89 toefl is 101 got interviewed last year didn't get accepted this year i worked and observed in 2 dental offices plus i wil take part 2 on 15 16 july then i will apply again this year wat do u think of my chances of getting admission this year plz tel me

dental bug wat were ur toefl and nbde scores how was ur interview

hey..that is weird..people with lower scores have been accepted..is it because of part 2 and lack of clinical experience ?some one please clarify..are you a resident of illinois?
i have 87, and have not yet given part 2.are part 2 and experience very important deciding factors for the admission?
any one who has gone thru it..please reply..

hey..that is weird..people with lower scores have been accepted..is it because of part 2 and lack of clinical experience ?some one please clarify..are you a resident of illinois?
i have 87, and have not yet given part 2.are part 2 and experience very important deciding factors for the admission?
any one who has gone thru it..please reply..

I want to stress this that it is NOT ONLY your scores that will be the decisive factor in admission into any university. Just because one has higher stats than another student that does NOT mean the system is NOT fair. The admission committee at most all university have panel of members that look at plethora of factors in making decision on applications. The universities usually like diverse group of students with Well rounded applicants.

For Uic as far as my application, I share this info to help others, NOT to be criticized about how I got in with my scores. So, Here is the info.

I have been applying to the UIC school of dentistry, since the program was IDP (international dentist program - a certificate program, 2 yrs ago), [I did not reside in the state of IL at the time of application].

1st time I applied I received no interview (Had Part I 87, Toefl 230), 2nd time I applied with same part I, same Toefl, No interview. I have passion beyond anyone's belief for dentistry, so I decided to improve My application.

So the on my 3rd try at UIC:
1. Part I/II 87/77, TOEFL: 99, GPA 3.45,
2. 2.5 Years of Dental Assistant work and 1.5 Years of Volunteer work at local dental clinics & Volunteered at local soup kitchens and church
3. I Passed the Florida DH Clinical Boards with a perfect score of 5 out 5
& Achieved license to practice dental hygiene in the state of Florida.
*NOTE: I worked on patients in the US (in FL) for DH exam!!!*
4. I received excellent recommendation letters from US dentists and
dental professor, also letters from my school's dean and professors.
5. Wrote a SOP with my experience and interest in dentistry, via my SOP
I showed my passion and adherence to dentistry, which I truly love.

First 2 yrs I did not receive acceptance to any schools, was interviewed at few schools.
Last year, I was interviewed at 6 schools, accepted at 2.

So, PLEASE do NOT judge based on scores only and say that people with lower scores are getting admission. As you can see from the proof above admission committee wants people that can show adherence and passion for dentistry. Anyone can study for months and get goods scores, it is those with willing to go beyond the scores SHOUld have a chance for admission.

I have not done anything special, just worked very hard and was helped out by many SDNers (Like g3k, Nilebds, caviety79, many others).

The reason I answers questions is because I know how all of you feel.

Hope this helps, I am not trying to offend anyone, only trying to help.

Dentalbug

I want to stress this that it is NOT ONLY your scores that will be the decisive factor in admission into any university. Just because one has higher stats than another student that does NOT mean the system is NOT fair. The admission committee at most all university have panel of members that look at plethora of factors in making decision on applications. The universities usually like diverse group of students with Well rounded applicants.

For Uic as far as my application, I share this info to help others, NOT to be criticized about how I got in with my scores. So, Here is the info.

I have been applying to the UIC school of dentistry, since the program was IDP (international dentist program - a certificate program, 2 yrs ago), [I did not reside in the state of IL at the time of application].

1st time I applied I received no interview (Had Part I 87, Toefl 230), 2nd time I applied with same part I, same Toefl, No interview. I have passion beyond anyone's belief for dentistry, so I decided to improve My application.

So the on my 3rd try at UIC:
1. Part I/II 87/77, TOEFL: 99, GPA 3.45,
2. 2.5 Years of Dental Assistant work and 1.5 Years of Volunteer work at local dental clinics & Volunteered at local soup kitchens and church
3. I Passed the Florida DH Clinical Boards with a perfect score of 5 out 5
& Achieved license to practice dental hygiene in the state of Florida.
*NOTE: I worked on patients in the US (in FL) for DH exam!!!*
4. I received excellent recommendation letters from US dentists and
dental professor, also letters from my school's dean and professors.
5. Wrote a SOP with my experience and interest in dentistry, via my SOP
I showed my passion and adherence to dentistry, which I truly love.

First 2 yrs I did not receive acceptance to any schools, was interviewed at few schools.
Last year, I was interviewed at 6 schools, accepted at 2.

So, PLEASE do NOT judge based on scores only and say that people with lower scores are getting admission. As you can see from the proof above admission committee wants people that can show adherence and passion for dentistry. Anyone can study for months and get goods scores, it is those with willing to go beyond the scores SHOUld have a chance for admission.

I have not done anything special, just worked very hard and was helped out by many SDNers (Like g3k, Nilebds, caviety79, many others).

The reason I answers questions is because I know how all of you feel.

Hope this helps, I am not trying to offend anyone, only trying to help.

Dentalbug
hi..i admire your determination..good that your hard work paid off...
wonder if i can have tht much of determination and persistence..
i guess..part 2 and work experience does matter a lot to them...

thanks dental bug for your input
u are a great help for us too ..and hope one day we can be the same for other ..thanks a lot

i have a question for you ..i wanna prepare for my interview (hope i will get one in UIC ) what do u suggest to read ..to refresh my knowledge

also if i need to practice for a clinical exam like the one for California schools
i wanna do it right ..so need to read the steps for a perfect class 2,PFM,Onlay...before practicing ...where can i find this

thanks

we have exams right now, so this will be brief. For restorative dentistry the best book is Sturdivant's

For Cali interviews you can look into prep courses at duggans or UCLA, these classes do prepare you and help with the stuff that cali schools ask. I did the duggans short course (very expensive!), but they will teach you preps the way cali wants them, believe me cali prep work is something else, only state in the entire US that does 3/4 and 7/8 crowns.

Good Luck

Dentalbug

hi is anybody called for interview for UIC.............i mean the last date for admission is 1 aug but there is no activity going on.......its bean more than 6 weeks i sent my aplication and i haven't received any mail from them......are they planning to post pone the last date or what........
kindly send post your updated status here...is iam the only one with this dilema......coz the website says interview will be between may to oct....so????
so lets help each other

hi,
i also have not been called yet for an interview..and i have applied in may...have they really postponed their deadline?

no they have not postponed but i cud not see any activity going on.....i mean acc to them the interviews will start in may.....but i havent heard anyone getting call from them......
is ther anyone who have received any reply from them

hi there,

don't despair, last year they started calling in mid july..and the 90' and above first;
good luck!

hi there,

don't despair, last year they started calling in mid july..and the 90' and above first;
good luck!

hi..
thanks starrynight..
any one , any news from uic???
none for me yet...:(

neither from me too...i havent got even confirmation mail that they have received the application and whether its complete or not

hi..
how does uic contact students for an interview?
do they call or mail a letter or an email?
any one invited for an interview?

my nbde score is 83 but i send my application:D mabe i make it:laugh: well i keep mr finger crossed.:luck:

hey guys, does UIC require the nbde score to be in a sealed envelope? or can i send notarized copy? i dont have much time to send application. help will be appreciated. thanks

hey guys, does UIC require the nbde score to be in a sealed envelope? or can i send notarized copy? i dont have much time to send application. help will be appreciated. thanks

You MUST have the NBDE scores in a sealed envelope from ADA. They also want ECE and TOEFL in a sealed envelope from the respective agencies.

good luck

dentalbug