UIUC c/o 2026 hopeful! WAMC/how can I improve my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lafrantz1

Illinois c/o 2026
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my first application cycle, so any recommendations would be great! I am applying to UIUC (In-state). They have made the GRE optional this cycle, and if I report my scores, my GPA will be weighted less heavily. Is it a good idea to report my scores? What are my chances of being admitted? How can I improve my application? And is it frowned upon to not have a supervisor listed for all experiences? Thanks in advance!

Cumulative GPA: On transcript 3.96; VMCAS GPA calculator: 3.9

Science GPA: Estimating 3.7

Degree: Bachelor's in Agriculture (Graduated Summa Cum Laude)

GRE results: Q 162/ V 161/ W 5.0

Veterinary Experience:

- Veterinary Assistant/Receptionist at a clinic that treats companion animals, exotics, and wildlife (2016 - Present) 6000 hours
- Veterinary Assistant (technician duties - the clinic referred to their tech position as "vet assistant") at a companion animal hospital (2015-2016) 300 hours
- Kennel Attendant at an animal hospital (2012-2015) 1860 hours

Animal Experience:

- Pet Sitting (2017 - Present) 624 hours
- Internship with a local dog trainer (2019) 96 hours
- Equestrian Team (Served as Western Coordinator & Safety Officer) (2016-2018) 156 hours
- Animal Care Volunteer at a local zoo (2016 & 2021) 36 hours
- Fostering for a local rescue (2020 - Present) 240 hours
- Large Animal Lab Participant (2015) (weighed cattle, castrated piglets, trimmed sheep hooves, etc.) 24 hours
- Humane Society Volunteer (during high school, 2012-2015) 40 hours

Research Experience:

- Independent Study (monitored sheep & cattle for signs of parturition, assisted when necessary, kept a log of births, and compiled a report) (2018) 108 hours
- Loop Abroad Howler Monkey & Jaguar Research Fellowship (will complete in summer 2021)

Awards/Scholarships:
College
- Dean's List x 5
- Redbird Academic Scholarship (renewable for 4 years)
- Clarence-Moore Scholarship
- Goldsmith-Fielder Agriculture Scholarship
- Cougar Pride Scholarship
- Illinois Odd Fellow - Rebekah Scholarship
- BCMW Community Scholarship x 2 years
- Paul A. Funk Outstanding Sophomore Scholarship
- ISU Harvey S. Woods Scholarship
- Elks Most Valuable Student Scholarship (renewable for 4 years)
- Robert Preston UClub Scholarship
- Honors Program Scholar
- Graduated Summa Cum Laude
- A handful of Western Horsemanship awards from shows

High School
- Nominated for Worldwide Youth in Science and Engineering Competition (4 years)
- Nominated for Blackburn College Science Day Competition (4 years)
- High Honor Roll (5 years)
- Academic Achievement Awards: Biology I, Honors English II, Keyboarding, Health, Anatomy & Physiology, Honors English III, AP American History, Physics, Chemistry II, Advanced Composition, American Government
- 4th Place in Blackburn Science Day Competition
- Illinois State Scholar
- 1st Place Help Desk: Future Business Leaders of America
- Valedictorian in high school
- Academic Excellence Award
- National Honor Society

Extracurriculars:

College
- Endurance Dance Team (2017-2018)
- Hoof N' Horn (2016-2018)
- Student Pre Vet Association (2015 - 2018, Vice President in 2017)
- ISU Service Dog Organization (2015-2017)
- TA for Intro to Animal Nutrition Class (2016)

High School
- Color Guard (2014-2015)
- Jazz Band (2013-2015)
- Future Business Leaders of America (2013-2015)
- Partnerships for College & Career Success (2012-2015)
- Dance Team (2012-2013, Captain 2014-2015)
- Service Club (2012-2015)
- Spanish Club (2012-2015)
- Band (pep band, concert band, marching band) (2011-2015)
- Bowling League (2011-2012)
- Scholar Bowl (2011-2012)

Volunteer Work:

- Local Zoo (Jan. 2021 - Present, Special Events Volunteer): 4 hours
- Foundation Church (Toddler Room Volunteer) (2018 - 2019): 96 hours
- Alternative Spring Break Volunteer Trip (2016): 66 hours
- Carlyle Christian Church (Children's Church Volunteer) (2011-2015): 208 hours
- Community Link (2015) (Volunteer Babysitter): 20 hours

Employment:

- Schuette's Market (Summer Break 2016): 200 hours

Members don't see this ad.

Clinical year OOS student at UIUC.

You have a strong application with and without your GRE. As long as your letters of recommendation and essays are also strong, I can see you getting an interview. Once you're at the interview stage, your acceptance will be based 75% on the interview and 25% on your phase II ("intangible" qualities such as experience hours and LORs) scores.

Clinical year OOS student at UIUC.

You have a strong application with and without your GRE. As long as your letters of recommendation and essays are also strong, I can see you getting an interview. Once you're at the interview stage, your acceptance will be based 75% on the interview and 25% on your phase II ("intangible" qualities such as experience hours and LORs) scores.
Thank you! Do you have any advice on how to write a strong personal statement or how to strengthen my application if I'm not accepted this cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have any advice on how to write a strong personal statement
Answer the prompt in a way that's unique to you. Each admissions member is going to read dozens of these essays. Every pre-vet had a pet died that inspired them to medicine or was inspired by their first experience in science. Dont be cookie cutter. Pick a theme that works for your story and write about that. Then have people read it and critique it.
how to strengthen my application if I'm not accepted this cycle?
1. Don't stop working on your application just because you submitted it. Consider yourself rejected until you have an acceptance.

2. Therefore, keep working on your hours (diversification if you can into some large animal or lab animal or specialty services). Go do things you find interesting. Or don't be afraid to branch out. My last gap year job was working as a staff member in residence life, and that was a big talking point theme in my interview.

I will say I *dont* recommend the big 2 week trips out of country that cost a fortune. Overall, you gain only about 80 hours of experience for an excessive amount of money. If you want to travel, just travel. If you want to do service work, there are shelters and organizations the world over in nearly every species that could use the help. You don't need to spend 2k to get those experiences

Reactions: 1 user
Answer the prompt in a way that's unique to you. Each admissions member is going to read dozens of these essays. Every pre-vet had a pet died that inspired them to medicine or was inspired by their first experience in science. Dont be cookie cutter. Pick a theme that works for your story and write about that. Then have people read it and critique it.

1. Don't stop working on your application just because you submitted it. Consider yourself rejected until you have an acceptance.

2. Therefore, keep working on your hours (diversification if you can into some large animal or lab animal or specialty services). Go do things you find interesting. Or don't be afraid to branch out. My last gap year job was working as a staff member in residence life, and that was a big talking point theme in my interview.

I will say I *dont* recommend the big 2 week trips out of country that cost a fortune. Overall, you gain only about 80 hours of experience for an excessive amount of money. If you want to travel, just travel. If you want to do service work, there are shelters and organizations the world over in nearly every species that could use the help. You don't need to spend 2k to get those experiences
Thank you for the advice!

Reactions: 1 user