UIWSOM vs PCOM-GA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j1121

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My husband and I are trying to attend law and medical school at the same time. These are our options to do so.

As of now, I really don’t want to pursue a competitive speciality. We plan to have children. I guess I’d say I’m most interested in IM.

I know some people are unhappy with the PCOM curriculum change and MS3/4 clerkship options, however it’s established and reputable, we do like Georgia, it’s easy to fly home.

On the other hand, UIWSOM has short answer style exams and a very independent learning style and it’s not as established with residency programs. I am a person with -ADHD so I am not sure how well that curriculum suits me. However, we like Texas, I’ve gotten a really good impression from the school, I have family nearby, and it would provide a better law school option for my husband at UT.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
PCOM is more established than UIWSOM and doesn’t have the concerning board scores. Is home closer there than Texas or are you currently in Texas since you said you had family there?

As for law school, UT Austin is good and places well within the state. You like Texas so that probably is ok. However, if you’re not from there now and your husband doesn’t already have an acceptance there, it is 90% in-state due to state laws about admissions. So UGA and Emory might be better fits if he hasn’t applied yet.

PCOM is more established than UIWSOM and doesn’t have the concerning board scores. Is home closer there than Texas or are you currently in Texas since you said you had family there?

As for law school, UT Austin is good and places well within the state. You like Texas so that probably is ok. However, if you’re not from there now and your husband doesn’t already have an acceptance there, it is 90% in-state due to state laws about admissions. So UGA and Emory might be better fits if he hasn’t applied yet.
Fair points! However I don’t think he’d have a problem getting in, he scored in the 98th percentile on the LSAT and is a CPA with high accolades but there’s always a chance!! He is planning to work for my M1 year so maybe that would potentially help the residency situation for admissions. We have aunts and uncles in Texas but my immediate family is in Louisiana.

And I do agree about the board scores and concerns regarding UIWSOM. So I think you’re right.

Fair points! However I don’t think he’d have a problem getting in, he scored in the 98th percentile on the LSAT and is a CPA with high accolades but there’s always a chance!! He is planning to work for my M1 year so maybe that would potentially help the residency situation for admissions. We have aunts and uncles in Texas but my immediate family is in Louisiana.

And I do agree about the board scores and concerns regarding UIWSOM. So I think you’re right.
Just wanted to update you, I found for Law school specifically, they are required to have 65% in state. It is medical, dental and undergrad that they have the 90% rule. I suppose it would be a commute for either one or both of you since UIWSOM isn’t right next to Austin. The same could be said for PCOM and UGA, though that might be going the opposite direction of the usual traffic. Emory and PCOM are obviously pretty close to each other.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)