-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
UK 2014 applicants!!
Started by HowIMetYourPet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Me too! I'll see you at Edinburgh tomorrowI got into Glasgow too!!!!!!!!!!
Yay!! I got an email about 8pm the day of my,interview with the acceptance 🙂
GOOD LUCK GUYS, YOU GOT THIS!!
I was there today!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interviewed and accepted today at Glasgow! Good luck everyone!
Accepted as Well! Congrats to everyone else!
Any current US->UK students had any experience shipping large items to your new home? Specifically my snowboard and bike. Thanks!
It'd be cheaper to buy a bike once you get there.
Any current US->UK students had any experience shipping large items to your new home? Specifically my snowboard and bike. Thanks!
On Virgin Atlantic you can check sporting equipment for free...so bikes, ski/snowboards, archery equipment, canoes, etc as long as they're packaged correctly. Other airlines might do this too, but VA definitely does.
Anyone interviewing at UC Dublin this week in NYC? I am not sure what to expect because they have not interviewed U.S. applicants in the past. Any ideas?
I have an interview at UCD's NYC office this Thursday...I'm not sure what to expect either but also this year they seem to only be interviewing some US people (others they accepted outright, which seems a little strange).
I wonder if it has to do with people interested in the 4 year program vs the 5 year program
What are some things that we should definitely buy in the US and bring over with us? What's a typical US-> UK packing list for vet school ? 🙂 Thanks !
Bring lots of adatpers. (I like getting the packs of ones that have multiple region types since you'll likely do a lot of traveling and Europe uses different types than the UK.) However, hair dryers and straighteners tend to blow a fuse with them unless you use a transformer (which you would get once you're there). Transformers are heavy and annoying though... So I'd recommend just buying a new hairdryer/whatever when you get there.
I'll post more as I think of it!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Bring lots of adatpers. (I like getting the packs of ones that have multiple region types since you'll likely do a lot of traveling and Europe uses different types than the UK.) However, hair dryers and straighteners tend to blow a fuse with them unless you use a transformer (which you would get once you're there). Transformers are heavy and annoying though... So I'd recommend just buying a new hairdryer/whatever when you get there.
I'll post more as I think of it!
Thank you! Please do 🙂
Bring lots of adatpers. (I like getting the packs of ones that have multiple region types since you'll likely do a lot of traveling and Europe uses different types than the UK.) However, hair dryers and straighteners tend to blow a fuse with them unless you use a transformer (which you would get once you're there). Transformers are heavy and annoying though... So I'd recommend just buying a new hairdryer/whatever when you get there.
I'll post more as I think of it!
This. Except my straightener did work in the UK, you just have to check the voltage range on your straightener, though if you want to be safe, then just buy a new one when you get there.
Otherwise, I packed very lightly. Just brought over clothes and a few things from home (nothing big, mostly just pictures). I purchased everything over in the UK. Most flats over there come fully furnished, unlike apartments in the US, which is really nice.
RVC applicants - check your emails!
Accepted! The island wants me back!
Accepted! The island wants me back!Accepted!!! 4 year program!!
Decisions decisions!!!!!
Decisions decisions!!!!!
For the acceptances for Royal, did they email you?? I'm so anxious!!
yep everything by emailFor the acceptances for Royal, did they email you?? I'm so anxious!!
It would appear these are going out in waves for whatever reason, I got mine much later in the day than ameropean Chelsea, so take a breath, distract yourself (I've found Sherlock does a good job at being a distraction) and try to relax (as hard as that is)
I did not know this. I might have to look into this for flying back in the fall.On Virgin Atlantic you can check sporting equipment for free...so bikes, ski/snowboards, archery equipment, canoes, etc as long as they're packaged correctly. Other airlines might do this too, but VA definitely does.
1. Dayquill/NyQuil because they don't sell it here. The plague has been going around and I miss these thingsWhat are some things that we should definitely buy in the US and bring over with us? What's a typical US-> UK packing list for vet school ? 🙂 Thanks !
2. Laptop/electronic things: buy them in the US before you come over, it's cheaper. I would also bring a decent unlocked phone and get a pay-as-you-go simcard
3. Stethoscope....Littman sells nice ones, buy them in the US before you come as they will be cheaper
4. Three ring binders. This is a personal hatred of mine, but the UK uses 2 ring binders and 2 ring binder paper. I don't like it, wish I brought over a years supply of stuff.
Other than that, clothes and stuff. I came out here with one checked bag, a carry on and a backpack. Water proof warm coats are a must for you Scotland bound folks.
I did not know this. I might have to look into this for flying back in the fall.
1. Dayquill/NyQuil because they don't sell it here. The plague has been going around and I miss these things
2. Laptop/electronic things: buy them in the US before you come over, it's cheaper. I would also bring a decent unlocked phone and get a pay-as-you-go simcard
3. Stethoscope....Littman sells nice ones, buy them in the US before you come as they will be cheaper
4. Three ring binders. This is a personal hatred of mine, but the UK uses 2 ring binders and 2 ring binder paper. I don't like it, wish I brought over a years supply of stuff.
Other than that, clothes and stuff. I came out here with one checked bag, a carry on and a backpack. Water proof warm coats are a must for you Scotland bound folks.
Personally I love A4 paper and hated dealing with American paper when I came back. Buuut you adapt, I suppose.
4. Three ring binders. This is a personal hatred of mine, but the UK uses 2 ring binders and 2 ring binder paper. I don't like it, wish I brought over a years supply of stuff.
Yeah the two ring binders are a pain. Just make sure if you purchase a 3ring binder in the US, you have to specifically get one that fits A4 paper. I accidentally purchased a bunch of normal sized 3ring binders that I brought with me. and the A4 handouts and papers and stuff stuck out of the top end and got crunched up, which drove me nuts.
Yeah the two ring binders are a pain. Just make sure if you purchase a 3ring binder in the US, you have to specifically get one that fits A4 paper. I accidentally purchased a bunch of normal sized 3ring binders that I brought with me. and the A4 handouts and papers and stuff stuck out of the top end and got crunched up, which drove me nuts.
What size do you recommend ? 2-3inch?
1. Dayquill/NyQuil because they don't sell it here. The plague has been going around and I miss these things
There is no NyQuil, but there is something similar called Night Nurse. All drowsy medicine is only sold behind the pharmacy counter, so you have to ask for it. They're usually really good at helping you find what you need.
This post on another forum talks more about it: http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=63664.0
Anyone that interviewed for Dublin heard anything yet?
Brand new to SDN and attempting to figure it out! Also really excited to be (most likely) attending Glasgow this Fall!
Brand new to SDN and attempting to figure it out! Also really excited to be (most likely) attending Glasgow this Fall!
Welcome!! I'm also 90% sure I'm going to Glasgow 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Welcome!! I'm also 90% sure I'm going to Glasgow 🙂
Yay! I'm really excited. I am currently getting ahead of myself trying to find apartments and what not and failing miserably. Everything listed is for around March but I'm too excited to wait
Yay! I'm really excited. I am currently getting ahead of myself trying to find apartments and what not and failing miserably. Everything listed is for around March but I'm too excited to wait![]()
Oh my gosh I've been totally doing the same thing haha. I really want my own apartment but I feel like housing would be a good way to meet people the first year.
Anyone heard from Edinburgh yet? I'm so anxious!
No but I wish!!!
I wish the time zones worked better/I could figure out how to call them and ask when we'll hear.... I don't want to email because I don't want them to associate my name with being to antsy hahaha, plus an email is easier to ignore hahaha
Anyone that interviewed for Dublin heard anything yet?
I got and email early Tuesday morning saying my application status changed! They had the offer of acceptance letter there.
Still no word from Edinburgh...
I received an edinburgh acceptance to the 4 yr program this morning!
I got and email early Tuesday morning saying my application status changed! They had the offer of acceptance letter there.
Still no word from Edinburgh...
Can you post the link to your application for the status change? I'm not sure I have the right one. Thanks!
@ScotVet2019 and @JPML Congrats!!!!!!
Are you guys in the UK or US or somewhere else?
Are you guys in the UK or US or somewhere else?
I'm in the U.S.!@ScotVet2019 and @JPML Congrats!!!!!!
Are you guys in the UK or US or somewhere else?
is it a call or email?I received an edinburgh acceptance to the 4 yr program this morning!
Email!is it a call or email?
aaaaahhhhhhh......... I just want to knoooowwwwwww........
This being in Limbo thing sucks hahaha
Scotvet, is Edinburgh your first choice(I would think so based on your name 😉 )
This being in Limbo thing sucks hahaha
Scotvet, is Edinburgh your first choice(I would think so based on your name 😉 )
Did anybody else hear from RVC so far ? I don't know if I should expect a rejection now...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It sounds like only two of us have heard from RVC, so I wouldn't worry yet 🙂 I bet they'll be more Yes' sent out!!!
I hope so!! Are you definitely going to RVC? Or are you staying in the states? If you don't mind me asking
aaaaahhhhhhh......... I just want to knoooowwwwwww........
This being in Limbo thing sucks hahaha
Scotvet, is Edinburgh your first choice(I would think so based on your name 😉 )
Actually no! I think I'm going to stay here and go to Texas A&M!
I hope so!! Are you definitely going to RVC? Or are you staying in the states? If you don't mind me asking
I am most likely staying in the US, which kind of kills me because I would love to live in England again and the RVC is an amazing, amazing school. I have some really great offers here in the US that make more sense financially.
*edit* I have not ruled out moving back there once school is over and done with. 😉
I am most likely staying in the US, which kind of kills me because I would love to live in England again and the RVC is an amazing, amazing school. I have some really great offers here in the US that make more sense financially.
Yeah I got an offer from the US school too so I think I would stay here but living in London for four years sounds just amazing! (And I wanna know the decision from RVC but not much hope) I wish you best of luck 🙂