UK Medical School to US Residency Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UK_IMG

Reaction score
I'm a US citizen in medical school in England and I'd like to do my residency in the US but I am having a hard time finding numbers on UK grads coming to US programs. I thought I’d ask if anyone knew of any place that might be reported. I'm also curious as to how a UK grad with US citizenship would be viewed compared to US DO's and other IMGs.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a US citizen in medical school in England and I'd like to do my residency in the US but I am having a hard time finding numbers on UK grads coming to US programs. I thought I’d ask if anyone knew of any place that might be reported. I'm also curious as to how a UK grad with US citizenship would be viewed compared to US DO's and other IMGs.

The best data you'll get are US-IMGs data. Most of those are Caribbean grads, but not all. That's what you would be lumped into. It's all US citizens who went out of the country for the medical school.

at certain programs probably equivalent to MD/DOs above FMGs and US IMGs from the carribean

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
at certain programs probably equivalent to MD/DOs above FMGs and US IMGs from the carribean

I disagree there, I'd imagine they'd be lumped in with Caribbean grads (who generally do better than FMGs), but not considered the same as US MD/DOs.

I could agree with you but will also say its seems like after looking through endless resident rosters, more established programs will consider uk/aus grads but not caribs.

I could agree with you but will also say its seems like after looking through endless resident rosters, more established programs will consider uk/aus grads but not caribs.

Good point. They probably are considered more above a Caribbean grad, but not the same as a US MD/DO grad I'd imagine though. IDK honestly, I doubt there is country specific data out there to say one way or the other.

Assuming you have good step scores, you’ll probably be viewed above FMG and Caribbean US grads since those are a dime a dozen and you’re more... exotic.

One of my good friends and younger coresidents was in your exact shoes (US citizen, did med school in UK, came back for EM residency). If you have any specific questions I can probably ask him. He doesn’t frequent SDN that I know of. Good luck!

You'll do fine as long as you are at a decent school. Smart move, BTW, saving so much on tuition and nixing the headache of undergrad. I know a couple of folks who went to school in Ireland and the UK and they did great. Try and get US clinical experience and that will help a lot. EM is not a big or respected field in the UK, so definitely rotate here.

I think European and Canadian grads are considered about the same as US grads.

I disagree there, I'd imagine they'd be lumped in with Caribbean grads (who generally do better than FMGs), but not considered the same as US MD/DOs.

Why would you imagine this?

Not much data I agree, but there are German, British, Irish and Canadian grads at top allopathic programs in many fields in the US. I don't think EM is as popular because it's not as respected overseas, but I have known Western European grads in top peds, ortho, and IM residencies, and those are at least as competitive as matching in EM.

You might find the CORD IMG applicant guide useful:

As others have said, US clinical experience is key. Make sure you have enough to get at least 2 if not 3 SLOEs. The general consensus that you'll be considered a "US IMG+" seems accurate. With decent step scores and good SLOEs I think it would be very realistic to match EM in that situation. A posh English accent would help.

One thing to consider is where do you want to work afterwards? While it's possible to move to and work in the UK after being boarded in the US, the process is not easy or straightforward. If you want to work in the UK or the commonwealth after training, I would recommend you stay to train in the UK. If your only clinical experience has been in the UK, consider that some of the things you like/don't like about medicine in general or EM in particular might be different in the US. Medicine in the US is more similar than different to the UK, but it's still plenty different.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. The consensus I'm getting is that I'll be somewhere above a "traditional IMG" and below a US grad but so long as I do well on STEP, get some good SLOE's and US experience I should be okay.

Assuming you have good step scores, you’ll probably be viewed above FMG and Caribbean US grads since those are a dime a dozen and you’re more... exotic.

One of my good friends and younger coresidents was in your exact shoes (US citizen, did med school in UK, came back for EM residency). If you have any specific questions I can probably ask him. He doesn’t frequent SDN that I know of. Good luck!
Thank you, that would be incredibly helpful. I've got a few questions that I'd very much appreciate you passing along.

• What was the timing of STEP 1, 2 ck, ck?
  • What subjects do you think a UK education might be lacking in when it comes to STEP prep. My understanding is biochem is less emphasized in the UK and there are some discrepancies with units such as in blood sugar.
  • Did you come to the US straight after graduation or did you do foundation before coming to the US?
  • Did you keep up your GMC number once in the states?
  • What do you think is most important for a UK student to do while in school to prepare for EM in the states?
  • Anything you think I should know that I probably don’t (vague, I know)

You might find the CORD IMG applicant guide useful:

Thanks for the guide, I'll give it a read during lunch.

I have clinical experience as an EMT during undergrad on an ALS unit and I work on a BLS unit in a big city in the summers now I'm in school but I'm not sure they'll care. I sound more like my Grandfather was a rancher in Texas than a Eton boy but I've followed scholarship money to undergrad then med school. I'll graduate with no debt and no public service commitment which I hope will justify my less traditional route.

I’m hoping to do my senior elective in the US and a second elective in the summer going into senior year back home for SLOE’s. I’m hoping that coupled with a few years on the natural selection intervention squad will be enough US experience for them to look at me but it’s more of an educated guess than anything.

Career wise, I’d like to do some globetrotting but my family is in America and all my healthcare experience prior to med school is there too. I want to work in the Middle East for a while then do some small town USA ED work and get involved with the local EMS boys. That being said, I’m seriously considering staying a year post grad to get a full (GMC) commonwealth licensure. since it won’t cost me anything and I’ll have been here 5 years at that point so what’s one more but I’m not sure how that will look in the eyes of US residency programs.

I am a US born citizen who did med school in Australia.

I applied to 75 programs for residency. 25 interviews, 25 said no, 25 did not respond.

You will need to be in the top 10 percent of Step 1 and Step 2. You will also need to do rotations and get a SLOE from a US program.

If you do not, you will have to apply broadly (100 programs) and will have extremely limited options.

1) timing of Steps 1, 2, CK - will need to have step 1 and 2 done with scores before applying to give yourself the best chance. CK will have to be done before starting residency but if english is your first language not as crucial to have done before applying
2) Buy the "First Aid" step 1 book. The entire first 1/3 to 1/2 of the book are things like pharmacology, immunology, embryology, micro, etc. Study the **** out of that because if you're UK curriculum was like my Aussie one then you will not be prepared for those sections. All the systems based subjects you will be fine on (cards, GI, resp, etc).
3 and 4) Not sure how to answer those questions
5)The most important thing you can do is age step 1 and 2. Get an away rotation (if not two or three) in the US at a place that has an EM residency. Also attend conferences like SAEM or ACEP that have residency fairs while you are a second or third year so you can try to form some relationships before ERAS opens and program directors are getting 500 emails per day.
6) You should know that some programs will not look at you no matter what, because you are an IMG. Have thick skin and move on. Out of all the residencies I applied to I got some very competitive interviews, and other places I thought would be a safety I got denied an interview. Try to look at places and talk to residents. If a program has never has an IMG before, odds are you will not be the first. It's not impossible, but not likely. Apply to new programs as well because they're last picky.

• What subjects do you think a UK education might be lacking in when it comes to STEP prep. My understanding is biochem is less emphasized in the UK and there are some discrepancies with units such as in blood sugar.
  • Did you come to the US straight after graduation or did you do foundation before coming to the US?
  • What do you think is most important for a UK student to do while in school to prepare for EM in the states?

Hi! I am in this boat now and am wondering if you can share his contact or someway to contact your friend? Thank you

I am a US born citizen who did med school in Australia.

I applied to 75 programs for residency. 25 interviews, 25 said no, 25 did not respond.

You will need to be in the top 10 percent of Step 1 and Step 2. You will also need to do rotations and get a SLOE from a US program.

If you do not, you will have to apply broadly (100 programs) and will have extremely limited options.

1) timing of Steps 1, 2, CK - will need to have step 1 and 2 done with scores before applying to give yourself the best chance. CK will have to be done before starting residency but if english is your first language not as crucial to have done before applying
2) Buy the "First Aid" step 1 book. The entire first 1/3 to 1/2 of the book are things like pharmacology, immunology, embryology, micro, etc. Study the **** out of that because if you're UK curriculum was like my Aussie one then you will not be prepared for those sections. All the systems based subjects you will be fine on (cards, GI, resp, etc).
3 and 4) Not sure how to answer those questions
5)The most important thing you can do is age step 1 and 2. Get an away rotation (if not two or three) in the US at a place that has an EM residency. Also attend conferences like SAEM or ACEP that have residency fairs while you are a second or third year so you can try to form some relationships before ERAS opens and program directors are getting 500 emails per day.
6) You should know that some programs will not look at you no matter what, because you are an IMG. Have thick skin and move on. Out of all the residencies I applied to I got some very competitive interviews, and other places I thought would be a safety I got denied an interview. Try to look at places and talk to residents. If a program has never has an IMG before, odds are you will not be the first. It's not impossible, but not likely. Apply to new programs as well because they're last picky.

Step 1 is pass/fail starting in January 2022