Ultimate way to get into med school if you're an average student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Alexander99 said:
What I want to know is, how did we decide what games to buy back then? The internet wasn't even around and magazines that rated video games were pretty limited. Did we just buy games based on the back of the box or what?

What's funny about the old school video games is that we swore each new video game had "great" graphics compared to the older ones. When I look back at what the games actually looked like though, I'm amazed at how generic they look.
I rented most of my games, but yeah, it was pretty much by the box method. :laugh:

Most games back then had decent graphics, but the first time I can recall thinking, "Whoah, this is amazing," was the very first time you fly in the airship in FF2. The sudden switch from 2D to 3D is very, very cool. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

BubbleBobble said:
I rented most of my games, but yeah, it was pretty much by the box method. :laugh:

Most games back then had decent graphics, but the first time I can recall thinking, "Whoah, this is amazing," was the very first time you fly in the airship in FF2. The sudden switch from 2D to 3D is very, very cool. :thumbup:

Yeah. I remember when the SNES first came out and the 3D effects were revolutionary. Only we look at it now and realize how pixelized everything becomes for 3D effects.

I think FF1-FF3 were my favorite games of all time. They did such a good job with the storyline that you actually start feeling attached to the characters. My favorite character was Shadow from FF3. Did you know that if you sleep at the inn and he's in your party, there's a random chance that you'll get a dream sequence that explains his origins one dream at a time?

so what is the "ideal gpa" besides the 4.0? I'm currently at 3.57 with my university work, and a 3.63 with my overall. Would I be a competitive applicant? I'm currently a second yr now and I'm pretty worried about where I stand since i'm just right below or at the average of most schools. Also, do medical schools look at the grades of each course? or do they look at the overall GPA in general. Thanks for everyone's help! I look forward to your responses!

Members don't see this ad :)
You're in Texas, so you're doing okay. The reason I say that is because Texas has alot of state medical schools that heavily favor state residents. On the numbers side, if you keep over a 3.5 and score well on the MCAT (30+), you'll probably be alright. Just remember to get involved in extracirriculars as well!

UT-Frank said:
so what is the "ideal gpa" besides the 4.0? I'm currently at 3.57 with my university work, and a 3.63 with my overall. Would I be a competitive applicant? I'm currently a second yr now and I'm pretty worried about where I stand since i'm just right below or at the average of most schools. Also, do medical schools look at the grades of each course? or do they look at the overall GPA in general. Thanks for everyone's help! I look forward to your responses!

Whether you should worry is dependent on what your goals are as far as admissions. If your goal is to get into any med school, your GPA is fine and all you need is a 30 on the MCAT. If your goal is to try to get into selective med schools, you'd need to start raising that GPA as much as possible and get a 33+ on the MCAT. Someone mentioned your a TX resident. If you're staying in TX, if you have a 3.5+ and 30+, you're golden.