This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mattlima94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've posted this a few times on different places around SDN, but I think this is finally the right place to present my scenario. Here it is:

UM Miller
Pros
  • I am married and both my family and my wife's family leave relatively close
  • Weather
  • I did my undergrad here so I already have a strong network
  • Living in Brickel would be nice
  • Clinical Training

Cons
  • Not really that big of a con. I love Miami and I want to to be in South Florida long term, but since I've lived in Brazil/FL my whole life, I wanted to take the opportunity to experience living in a different environment.

Boston University
Pros
  • I have strong interests in health economics and entrepreneurship. Boston and BU have national relevance in those areas as opposed to Miami which only has regional relevance.
  • Also great clinical training
  • Slightly better reputation nationally
  • Would allow me and my wife to fulfill our personal goal of experiencing a different culture and environment

Cons
  • Weather may be too much to handle
Summary: I know UM is a great school and I feel like it is the safest choice. However, due to my interest in health management/policy etc, Boston University seems like an amazing option as Boston has opportunities which do not seem to be equally available in Miami in this regard. I would greatly appreciate new perspectives on any aspect of the situation. Thanks for the help!!

UPDATE:

I've received my Fin. Aid packages and surprisingly it will be about 10k cheaper to attend BU.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you want to stay in south FL, I'd go Miami for sure. It sounds like that's where you want to be.

Reactions: 1 user
I think Miller had a fantastic vibe and many opportunities. I interviewed there and at BU. Tbh, i liked Miami a lot more than BU. The students seemed a lot happier.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Miller's the safer option, but if you're serious about exploring health entrepreneurship, Boston is absolutely the place to be. Four years there vs. Miami would surely make a huge impact on your career trajectory. I'd personally go for the new exposure with Boston, but only if the difference in cost is like $10k or less.