• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

UM or UW? :(

D

deleted197895

Decision advise/help requested.

Around April 15th, I e-mailed withdrawal letters to all my schools--yes, Columbia ended up being too pricy for my pockets-- except UM (Michigan), which had given me a tuition award and was the best financial option with a great education package.

Then I got an e-mail from UW (Washington) that I got an RA position. 20 hours a week of working with a prof in exchange for tuition coverage, $1,500 and like upgraded health insurance, etc. I would need to find my own RA position the second year (faculty paying for it as opposed to the department)-- the award is only for the first year. I guess most students whether they have an RA position first year or not, do get one by second year.

The UM department is the Health Behaviors Health Education and the UW program is the Institute for Public Health Genetics (housed in Epidemiology Department but has IPHG own admin and basically runs independently). I am interested in ethical issues in medical genetics... like peds medical genetics research or cancer genetics research seems cool.

Advice/input? Maybe anybody going to either of these programs who can provide some info?

swemory2007

10+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2007
I second the UW vote. I am in the Epi program and love it. It's intense but you learn so much. And the RA deal really is sweet - especially with research funding being cut, it is awesome that you got a position. Who is it with? PM me for more info.

About the Ads

smarTiee

10+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2008
  1. Other Health Professions Student
Crazy!!!:eek:
You and I were in the same situation....exactly! I had accepted a UM tuition waiver and just recently UW IPHG program offered me an RA position. I accepted it and had to withdraw from UM:(...

What did you decide? Maybe we will be working together next fall......

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.