UM or UW? :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted197895

Decision advise/help requested.

Around April 15th, I e-mailed withdrawal letters to all my schools--yes, Columbia ended up being too pricy for my pockets-- except UM (Michigan), which had given me a tuition award and was the best financial option with a great education package.

Then I got an e-mail from UW (Washington) that I got an RA position. 20 hours a week of working with a prof in exchange for tuition coverage, $1,500 and like upgraded health insurance, etc. I would need to find my own RA position the second year (faculty paying for it as opposed to the department)-- the award is only for the first year. I guess most students whether they have an RA position first year or not, do get one by second year.

The UM department is the Health Behaviors Health Education and the UW program is the Institute for Public Health Genetics (housed in Epidemiology Department but has IPHG own admin and basically runs independently). I am interested in ethical issues in medical genetics... like peds medical genetics research or cancer genetics research seems cool.

Advice/input? Maybe anybody going to either of these programs who can provide some info?

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend that you go to UW! :D

Better city, new experiences, and an amazing school!

I second the UW vote. I am in the Epi program and love it. It's intense but you learn so much. And the RA deal really is sweet - especially with research funding being cut, it is awesome that you got a position. Who is it with? PM me for more info.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guess I'll have to fly to Seattle to visit Psychinfo :)

Crazy!!!:eek:
You and I were in the same situation....exactly! I had accepted a UM tuition waiver and just recently UW IPHG program offered me an RA position. I accepted it and had to withdraw from UM:(...

What did you decide? Maybe we will be working together next fall......

i vote UW- the program there seems to better match your interests and your funding situation is similar for both schools....cool interests btw :)