UMaryland Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arb

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just received their secondary and I originally indicated that I am applying for MD program only on AMCAS but I want to switch to MD/PhD. For their MD/PhD program, you must be accepted to the MD program to be eligible for the combined degree. I feel that my application isn't strong enough to be accepted into the MD program (I'm an international applicant...not even instate!). I can switch the designation on AMCAs to MD/PhD applicant but do you think it will help me be more competitive for the MD screening?

Members don't see this ad.

It's worth a shot, umd isn't just a numbers school, but if you have great research that is def. a plus, and if thats your interest.. then apply!
Rule #1 in admissions; You never know.

Arb said:
I feel that my application isn't strong enough to be accepted into the MD program
I find this really confusing; MD/PhD programs are much harder to get into than MD programs alone. Is there something I'm missing? Anyone?

Especially at UMaryland. I was there this summer doing research and spoke to some of the MD/PhD students as well as someone who works in admissions. The MD/PhD is a great program if that is what you are really interested in, but very competitive. Avg gpa and mcat scores are very high.