UMaryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Textuality

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently had an interview at UMaryland, and was surprised that they get so many OOS applicants. Is that usual for a state school? Or is UMd more well known than I was expecting? (If so, I guess I'm a bit nervous about getting in, heh).

On a side note, I really enjoyed my interview day there, I was so impressed by my faculty interviewer and the buildings and facilities. The architecture of the main hospital is really cool, it's like being outside and inside at the same time :) It's my state school, so I hope they take me!

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't think that they were too big with OOS either until I interviewed there. I heard Pennsylvanians go there a lot. The increase in tuition is worth it to a lot of them since they see UMB as a much better school than their state school. How true that is, I don't know.

In terms of CA, I was one of three Californians in my interview group of 15 students so a sizeable group from the West.

I hope that I get in too but so far, all the good news has been from MD residents. With 50/50 chances according to Dr. Foxwell, I guess I'll hear my decision soon enough.

When I interviewed there, at least half, if not more of the applicants were OOS. I get the feeling that as the year goes on, the percentage will probably shift more to favor IS interviewees, but I have nothing to back that up except wild theories.

Many of us OOS people were from surrounding states (VA/NJ/PA).

PA residents still have to shell out a hefty sum for PSU ($30,000+), so for only a couple thousand dollars more, if they're looking for a more urban area (Hershey is not exactly a city....), UMD is a great choice financially and academically.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since you guys seem pretty familiar with this school, does anyone know if this is one of those schools were you can become a resident after being there a year? While we're on this topic, are there any other schools that come to mind? Thanks!

Since you guys seem pretty familiar with this school, does anyone know if this is one of those schools were you can become a resident after being there a year? While we're on this topic, are there any other schools that come to mind? Thanks!
I thought you said that this is your state school. Why would you be concerned about residency status?

Anyway, no. Not at UMB. An applicant asked our student tour guide and he said no. It's even difficult for most people who live and work in MD to get residency due to the influx of OOS students into the school.

Our tour guide, an MS4 from NY, said that he has lived and worked and has been with his fiance in MD for undergrad and they didn't let him have residency. His friend has had no ties to any other state at all for the past 7 years and they wouldn't give him residency either.

I thought you said that this is your state school. Why would you be concerned about residency status?

I don't think that person was the OP.

Anyway, to the OP -- doesn't maryland have a designated # of OOS seats and IS seats? If so, you're only really competing with other IS students, regardless of how many OOS applications they receive.

Hmm...I actually found it relatively easy to get my MD residency. It might be because I've been paying full state taxes there for the past 3 years while I was a working undergrad, and now I work full time, so I'm no longer categorized as just being in the state primarily as a student? I'm not really sure, but I filled out the form, sent it with my application for med school, and got a letter back saying I'm categorized as a resident. I also got my driver's license switched over before that happened.

Make of it what you will I guess?

I don't think that person was the OP.

Anyway, to the OP -- doesn't maryland have a designated # of OOS seats and IS seats? If so, you're only really competing with other IS students, regardless of how many OOS applications they receive.
Ha! That's what happens when you browse SDN right before much-needed sleep. I even double-checked the name but ah well!

As for the number of IS/OOS seats, I'm not sure. Dr. Foxwell, the ass. dean, said that residency doesn't really become a factor after the interviews. IS/OOS both have a 50/50 chance of getting an acceptance. I suppose that residency would have to be an issue even during the final phases of a making a decision, though. It's how I'm rationalizing my hold status haha.

Hmm...I actually found it relatively easy to get my MD residency. It might be because I've been paying full state taxes there for the past 3 years while I was a working undergrad, and now I work full time, so I'm no longer categorized as just being in the state primarily as a student? I'm not really sure, but I filled out the form, sent it with my application for med school, and got a letter back saying I'm categorized as a resident. I also got my driver's license switched over before that happened.

Make of it what you will I guess?
Wow. Maybe there is hope then. For the curious, I'd call the admissions office to ask a more senior source than a med student, I guess. The financial aid director was asked during her presentation but she didn't know and didn't want to make guesses.