UMass interview/acceptance ratio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D-Bone

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my UMMS interview coming up in November, and I'm curious how what my chances are at this point in the process. I've heard of other state programs accepting up to 2/3 of the students they interview, but I have no clue for MA. I also cannot locate any statistics for UMMS. Does anyone know how many candidates UMMS interviews? Given that UMMS is the only public program in MA, I'm certain the acceptance rate is much less than 2/3, but what exactly is the number? I'd appreciate any input.:luck: :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey D-Bone,

I think that they interview about half the applicants and they accept about the same number of the class size. Usually, schools accept double the class size taking in consideration all the declines and stuff, but for UMass very few people decide to go somewhere else except for those going to Harvard and this is mainly due to the location and CHEAP tuition:) They get about 800 applications each year, they interview around 400 applicants, and accept 100 to 120 or so. Check MSAR 2007-2008 you will find similar numbers.

What are your stats? your interview is early. I have been complete at UMass for more than 2 months and no interview, but this is because of my Low MCAT 9 6 10:( but everything else in my app seems solid so I am hoping for an interview.

good luck with your interview

Hey D-Bone,

I think that they interview about half the applicants and they accept about the same number of the class size. Usually, schools accept double the class size taking in consideration all the declines and stuff, but for UMass very few people decide to go somewhere else except for those going to Harvard and this is mainly due to the location and CHEAP tuition:) They get about 800 applications each year, they interview around 400 applicants, and accept 100 to 120 or so. Check MSAR 2007-2008 you will find similar numbers.

What are your stats? your interview is early. I have been complete at UMass for more than 2 months and no interview, but this is because of my Low MCAT 9 6 10:( but everything else in my app seems solid so I am hoping for an interview.

good luck with your interview

Actually, I heard the opposite - that they accept the exact number of people and put a whole lot of people in the wait list. And then there is a lot of movement from the wait list into the matriculating class as people accept elsewhere, all the way up until Fall 2007.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm a reapplicant because i was waitlisted to umass last year...everyone i know that got interviewed ended up on the waitlist, and yes there was a lot of movement in april but after the first week i june i dont think anyone was accepted, and i got a letter sometime in july saying the class was completely full...also when i was at the interview i was told they accept the exact number of seats (about 100 i believe) and will only accept more once those people withdraw their application

Hey reapplicant here too. UMASS is quite the heartbreaker. After interviewing in early November last year I waited all the way till May to be rejected. Punks! I wonder when they will extend another invite to me this year, or if they even will do so at all. Any other reapplicants out have an invite yet?

accept only 100 people? that really sucks...

That few?! :scared: I interviewed in September--probably right around when foofish interviewed--and haven't heard back from them. Oi, it's not looking so good.

That few?! :scared: I interviewed in September--probably right around when foofish interviewed--and haven't heard back from them. Oi, it's not looking so good.

when were you complete?

Hey Pabdalla,

My numbers are similar to yours, which is why I was actually surprised with the UMMS interview. However, I'll take what comes my way. I did submit my secondary as soon as it was available, if that helps. You may want to call them too, as I am still not complete per the status page. Obviously I'm complete if they're inviting me for an invite. Best of luck!

Hey reapplicant here too. UMASS is quite the heartbreaker. After interviewing in early November last year I waited all the way till May to be rejected. Punks! I wonder when they will extend another invite to me this year, or if they even will do so at all. Any other reapplicants out have an invite yet?

Hey All,

My wife is a UMMS reapplicant who just got an interview invite for November. She had her application submitted by early September. I don't know if this is something to watch for, but, they didn't cash our check until a few weeks ago, then the interview invite was sent just a few days ago.

CB3