UMass

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
nothing here either...i interviewed on one of the first few days in dec though and i guess some of you have been waiting much longer. they really should do a better job of letting us know our status.

has anyone called them up?

Members don't see this ad.

TradeManny said:
nothing here either...i interviewed on one of the first few days in dec though and i guess some of you have been waiting much longer. they really should do a better job of letting us know our status.

has anyone called them up?

I called them last week to check up. I told them I interviewed in September and the woman snapped, "well you just have to wait" and hung up the phone.

EZMcFlo said:
I called them last week to check up. I told them I interviewed in September and the woman snapped, "well you just have to wait" and hung up the phone.

wow... who did you call?

Members don't see this ad :)
hoomsy said:
hey,

so i got my interview invite for umass on the 28th of decemeber by e-mail. the interview is for feb 1st. could this be the last possible interview date?

anyone else have interviews?...should i not expect much since i got a late interview? i wrote the august mcat...

cheers

hoomsy

I am also interviewing on Feb 1st. I don't know what to tell you about the possibilities of the class being open. I interviewed there at this time last year (I was waitlisted), and they said that they were interviewing for a couple more weeks. See you there. Best of luck.

i would imagine that umass loses a not-insignificant number of people after mid march and up through the may 15th deadline - a lot of kids probably hold umass and then wait to see if they manage to get into a harvard or a ucsf or one of the few schools they would go to over umass (most of which are non rolling and notify in the spring). if they do, then they drop their spot at umass somewhere in that mar - may window.

so the question is whether there are still spots open now. worst case is that there are not, that is why they aren't meeting/accepting, and we wait until those 30-50 spots open up in the spring. i hope that isn't the case.

just trying to speculate instead of wait blindly.

MedChef said:
I am also interviewing on Feb 1st. I don't know what to tell you about the possibilities of the class being open. I interviewed there at this time last year (I was waitlisted), and they said that they were interviewing for a couple more weeks. See you there. Best of luck.

I would bet that the 4th monthly meeting of the UMass adcom is happening this week or next. If they have only had four meetings so far, they are probably still deciding on initial acceptances and have not moved to a waitlist-only situation.

at least, that is what i hope. i interviewed 9/20 and still no word

gu1982 said:
i would imagine that umass loses a not-insignificant number of people after mid march and up through the may 15th deadline - a lot of kids probably hold umass and then wait to see if they manage to get into a harvard or a ucsf or one of the few schools they would go to over umass (most of which are non rolling and notify in the spring). if they do, then they drop their spot at umass somewhere in that mar - may window.

so the question is whether there are still spots open now. worst case is that there are not, that is why they aren't meeting/accepting, and we wait until those 30-50 spots open up in the spring. i hope that isn't the case.

just trying to speculate instead of wait blindly.

I can't imagine that there are not open spots already...or maybe i am just being optimistic. but based upon this thread and what they said in the info session, it seems like they just take their time because they can. it seems like there are still a large number of acceptances to be given out considering they do accept over 1/3 of the those interviewed and people starting from early october interviews have not yet heard anything.

Kix said:
wow... who did you call?

I just called the admissions office. She didn't say her name, and I'm glad she didn't take mine, either.

I too was concerned about getting a good spot in a competitive field from UMass. But actually I've found that it has made absolutely no difference. I'm applying in a very competitve surgical subspecialty. I received more interviews at great programs all over the country than I expected and if anything I felt that people seemed more interested in me because I went to UMass.

As others have mentioned, you MUST do well on the boards and in school in order to be in a good position. But that applies to any school. UMass has a number of well-known, liked, leaders in many medical fields and this is a help as well.

My life would be very different had I not gone to UMass (read much worse: no eating out, no car, no disposable income). Sound superficial but the price is really nice.

Yeah...I interviewed there in 2004 prob end of feb. I think I was the last interview. They told me...if you applied sooner you would have a good chance but there's no spots left....

I dunno what to say.... Yeah for sure..see you there!

We'll be the 2 interview veterans...

Hoomsy

MedChef said:

Am I SOL if I haven't gotten an interview invite yet? I submitted my stuff in the fall... haven't heard a peep.

Should I call or write a letter asking (begging) for an interview?

I think you're still cool....when did you send your 2ndary?

I sent my 2ndary at 5h29pm post marked on the final day it was due... i was the absolute last interview and i think i found out end of jan for an end of feb interview.

hoomsy

Flyfisher said:
Am I SOL if I haven't gotten an interview invite yet? I submitted my stuff in the fall... haven't heard a peep.

Should I call or write a letter asking (begging) for an interview?

hoomsy said:
I think you're still cool....when did you send your 2ndary?

I sent my 2ndary at 5h29pm post marked on the final day it was due... i was the absolute last interview and i think i found out end of jan for an end of feb interview.

hoomsy

This is for last year?

I don't remember exactly when it might have been october. I've been done with all of them for awhile.

alright, well hopefully I'll hear by the end of the month. I've already had one interview invite this month from RUSH, so I guess there is still hope from others.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ummm....it was when i applied for admissions for sept. 2004.

This year I wrote the Aug MCAT, but had my application submitted in july...BUT it wasn't complete since they had to wait till mid oct. for the results.... for this year I found out like Dec. 28ish... for Feb 1st interview..

Hoomsy

Flyfisher said:
This is for last year?

I don't remember exactly when it might have been october. I've been done with all of them for awhile.

alright, well hopefully I'll hear by the end of the month. I've already had one interview invite this month from RUSH, so I guess there is still hope from others.

could be today...

gu1982 said:
could be today...

does anybody know why they are so slow to accept? I know they have to keep their class pinpointed at 100 student, but that did not really serve as their explanation for why they they wait so long to accept.

Looks like there was one this week.

Hope all the rest of yall who've also been waiting months get the fun of seeing that "No application on file" statement disappear from the Accept/Decline Admissions page.

AMitchell said:
Looks like there was one this week.

Hope all the rest of yall who've also been waiting months get the fun of seeing that "No application on file" statement disappear from the Accept/Decline Admissions page.

When did you interview?

AMitchell said:

has anybody else gotten a change in their status page? I interviewed 11/1, and have not seen any change at this point. Could mean not yet reviewed, status page not upated yet, or rejection/waitlist.

Committee must have met yesterday. My status changed this morning on the website.

Well I hope those of you whose status changed got GOOD news, yes??
I interviewed at the end of November but no change as of this a.m..... :(

jonappleseed said:
Committee must have met yesterday. My status changed this morning on the website.

jonnya, what did your status change to? when did you interview? congrats if it was an acceptance.

wilson bitt said:
jonnya, what did your status change to? when did you interview? congrats if it was an acceptance.

I received positive news via. the status check page this morning. I interviewed on 11/1.

No change for me = more waiting (interviewed 9/27). Honestly, I was very unimpressed with UMass when I interviewed, anyone else share those sentiments?

Jim

JDWflash44 said:
No change for me = more waiting (interviewed 9/27). Honestly, I was very unimpressed with UMass when I interviewed, anyone else share those sentiments?

Jim

I was very impressed by some things, and very unimpressed by some things. I left feeling like it was nearly impossible to make a great impression on my interviewers b/c of the questions they asked/didn't ask me, which was disappointing. And being my ONLY interview so far, I sure am worried about that fact.

Orthodoc40 said:
I was very impressed by some things, and very unimpressed by some things. My interviewers were not that skilled at interviewing, and I left feeling like it was nearly impossible to make a great impression on them because of that, which was disappointing. And being my ONLY interview so far, I sure am worried about that fact.

I was actually pretty impressed by UMass, but I also went to the interview expecting to hate the school. They have some programs that really interest me (especially the one for students interested in international health). I also really liked one of my interviewers - he was really nice and funny. Right now I've only been accepted at UMass, but I'm waiting to hear from 3 other schools that I've interviewed at.... I think it would be really helpful (at least to me!) to make a list of things we liked/didn't like, so when the time comes we can refer to it to make a decision? Anyone else up to it?

Anyway, things I liked:
Students seem to come first
International health program
Shadowing preceptors in whatever field interests you
Good match list (not GREAT, but some really good Boston matches)
Inexpensive

Things I didn't like:
Worcester - blah
Worcester hospitals
Everyone is from MA? Kind of wierd.

Feel free to add your thoughts!

diosa428 said:
I was actually pretty impressed by UMass, but I also went to the interview expecting to hate the school. They have some programs that really interest me (especially the one for students interested in international health). I also really liked one of my interviewers - he was really nice and funny. Right now I've only been accepted at UMass, but I'm waiting to hear from 3 other schools that I've interviewed at.... I think it would be really helpful (at least to me!) to make a list of things we liked/didn't like, so when the time comes we can refer to it to make a decision? Anyone else up to it?

Anyway, things I liked:
Inexpensive

Things I didn't like:
Worcester - blah
Worcester hospitals

I'd have a similar list. I'm very interested in their Int'l Health program, but I didn't really consider that in answering the question about whether I was impressed on interview day because these are things I knew about before that.
For positives I'd add:
Tuition deferrment option
Faculty seems to really enjoy teaching/be accessible
Improving opportunities to research
For negatives I'd add:
Students seemed immature & high school-ish
Classroom made me feel depressed
Didn't get to even see the labs or most of the facilities

did anybody who was accepted today check it earlier in the day and get the old message (which then changed after checking it a little later)? in other words, does it seem like they are currently going into the system and updating those in real time today who have received acceptances? is there anybody else out there in the early november interviews (my int. was 11/1) who did not see any change as of today? just being neurotic over here since i have been waiting on this school for what seems like an eternity.

I checked my status last night...still read "No application..." When I checked early this morning it had changed to an acceptance.

Orthodoc40 said:
I'd have a similar list. I'm very interested in their Int'l Health program, but I didn't really consider that in answering the question about whether I was impressed on interview day because these are things I knew about before that.
For positives I'd add:
Tuition deferrment option
Faculty seems to really enjoy teaching/be accessible
Improving opportunities to research
For negatives I'd add:
Students seemed incredibly immature & high school-ish
Classroom made me feel depressed
Didn't get to even see the labs or most of the facilities

Yeah, the list seems pretty good. I only met two students on my interview and they both seemed bright and motivated but at the same time very down to earth and approachable. I'm not sure how orthodoc40 was able to meet enough people to discover the student body was immature and I'm not sure what high-schoolish means. Let me know. And in regards to Worcester: Yeah, a little blah, but after living in Back Bay for a year and paying 1500 a month in rent I think I'll appreciate living in Worcester and, trust me, unless you've got access to some cash it'd be real hard to enjoy all the things that a city like Boston has to offer anyway.

diosa428 said:

Anyway, things I liked:
Inexpensive

Things I didn't like:
Worcester - blah
Worcester hospitals

I guess it is different that everyone is coming from MA. Different than it was as an undergrad. But I think it could be kind of cool having the friends you make in med school nearby. Everyone will spread out for residency probably but they'd all be coming back to MA for holidays a things like that so you'd probably be able to see people more often. My friends from undergrad came from all over and I don't get to see them as often as I'd like. But at the same time if you want to travel it's cool to be able to visit friends. I don't know, I think there are good and bad aspects to having everyone coming from the same state.

don juan said:
Yeah, the list seems pretty good. I only met two students on my interview and they both seemed bright and motivated but at the same time very down to earth and approachable. I'm not sure how orthodoc40 was able to meet enough people to discover the student body was immature and I'm not sure what high-schoolish means. Let me know.
Sure - well just to add, I did say "seemed" - in order to leave room that I certainly couldn't know this from the time spent with people there. One of our guides was incredibly just - young. I don't really know how to describe that for you, but the other candidates who were interviewing with me mostly agreed when I asked if it was just me or if that was their impression, too. On our tour, we were stopped in the student lounge & there were lots of current students in there gathered in groups together, a little cliquey looking. They all seemed to be enjoying themselves - but it all just felt high schoolish. Everyone looking at the "interviewees", whispering, giggling - c'mon! Hey, its just the sense I got there. I'm just one person. I'm not sure anything I can write here will explain what I meant, but well, I tried...It wasn't the main impression I got - just part of it.

People also had a lot of enthusiasm and our questions were well answered & thoughtfully answered - by our other guide. And like you said, they seemed down to earth, and approachable.

do they also send an email or call you to let you know you were accepted? or do they just expect you to keep checking the status page on fridays?

I too have had the surreal honor of finding out I was accepted after an early Novemmber interview (and after applying, interviewing and getting rejected last year)...I'm definitely going and rescinding my other apps.

Kix said:
do they also send an email or call you to let you know you were accepted? or do they just expect you to keep checking the status page on fridays?

They send you a letter in the mail, but no email or phone call. The letter reached me in CT on a Tuesday....

Kix said:

Have those who were accepted/waitlisted last week already received your letters? Is anybody waitlisted at this or are those letters sent out later in the process? Just curious. I am not sure if my application was reviewed in the last adcom meeting, but I assume not because my adcom interviewed was out of town.

wilson bitt said:
Have those who were accepted/waitlisted last week already received your letters? Is anybody waitlisted at this or are those letters sent out later in the process? Just curious. I am not sure if my application was reviewed in the last adcom meeting, but I assume not because my adcom interviewed was out of town.

I don't think they send waitlist letters until March-ish.

diosa428 said:
I don't think they send waitlist letters until March-ish.

did anybody interview over at st. vincents hospital????

tl747 said:
I too have had the surreal honor of finding out I was accepted after an early Novemmber interview (and after applying, interviewing and getting rejected last year)...I'm definitely going and rescinding my other apps.

congrats

any action on the umass front? speculation on when the next adcom meeting will be? is it the third thursday of every month, or every three thursdays??? still waiting anxiously here....

wilson bitt said:
any action on the umass front? speculation on when the next adcom meeting will be? is it the third thursday of every month, or every three thursdays??? still waiting anxiously here....

I just called today and when I asked when the next meeting is, they said they do not give out that information. My guess is one of the next 2 Thursdays.

EZMcFlo said:
I just called today and when I asked when the next meeting is, they said they do not give out that information. My guess is one of the next 2 Thursdays.

anybody have any info. when the next adcom meeting is? i interviewed 11/1 (still have not heard anything), and am hoping i wasn't already reviewed and that i will be in this upcoming round...could be today?? or is it more likely next week?

wilson bitt said:
anybody have any info. when the next adcom meeting is? i interviewed 11/1 (still have not heard anything), and am hoping i wasn't already reviewed and that i will be in this upcoming round...could be today?? or is it more likely next week?

No word here but maybe it will be next week. We seem to be the only people here on SDN still waiting to get accepted! :luck:

Orthodoc40 said:
No word here but maybe it will be next week. We seem to be the only people here on SDN still waiting to get accepted! :luck:

there has to be more of us out there...come on november, december interviewees who have not heard from umass yet...you out there??

a dec. 14th interviewer here! i'm still anxiously awaiting a decision.

12/7 interview. Still sitting here twiddling my thumbs. Sigh.

September Interviewee still waiting here. 9/27 :confused:

Jim

JDWflash44 said:
September Interviewee still waiting here. 9/27 :confused:

Jim

I beat you all! September 20th. I'm thinking that's a bad sign. They must have reviewed me already.