UMDNJ Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turkelton

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etcetera.

1. Has anyone received a secondary application from UMDNJ yet?

2. Does anyone know if the secondary application on the school's website is the one they are using for this year? The one that's currently available is identical to last year, I'm wondering if they're going to use it as a repeat or are they going to introduce a new secondary?

3. Also last year people (for the most part) were not receiving invitations to fill out the secondaries, they would submit w/o the invite, I was wondering if this is the case again?

Members don't see this ad.

For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etcetera.

1. Has anyone received a secondary application from UMDNJ yet?

2. Does anyone know if the secondary application on the school's website is the one they are using for this year? The one that's currently available is identical to last year, I'm wondering if they're going to use it as a repeat or are they going to introduce a new secondary?

3. Also last year people (for the most part) were not receiving invitations to fill out the secondaries, they would submit w/o the invite, I was wondering if this is the case again?

I received an email from UMDNJ to go on the website and fill out the secondary a couple of weeks ago so yeah that is the secondary they are using :thumbup:

I received their secondary via email and sent it back to 'em almost 4 weeks ago but only *crickets* since then.
I do know they cashed my check (according to my bank):laugh:

Maybe they start calling people for interviews next month?

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary is available on som.umdnj.edu and you do not need an invite. I never got an invite. I believe SOM does not screen for secondaries so no need to wait around for them to email you the link of the secondary.

I received their secondary via email and sent it back to 'em almost 4 weeks ago but only *crickets* since then.
I do know they cashed my check (according to my bank):laugh:

Maybe they start calling people for interviews next month?

I called last Monday and they put a halt to looking at all the incoming applications to help prepare for this year's incoming class. It will take about another 1-2 weeks before they look at any applications again (even to check on your status).

:spam: PS i like this SDN smiley lol.

just got it today, OOS (NY), dont know if that means anything, been pretty quiet in this thread

@everyone: how long were your essays ??

Last edited:
Does anyone know what do about letters? Especially since my school does not have a pre-med committee...

Does anyone know what do about letters? Especially since my school does not have a pre-med committee...

Just mail your letters out to UMDNJ-SOM. Just make sure that the letters are sealed and signed on the back by the LOR author. If you can, ask if the author can mail it our for you. The less you touch the letters, the better off you will be.

Has anyone heard anything from UMDNJ? I haven't received a secondary invite, but I'm sending it in anyway.

Being an OMS-1 at SOM currently, I thought I'd leave a few nuggets of wisdom based on the experience I had during the application round last year:

1) Send your secondary in early (SOM doesn't screen for secondaries) but don't fret if you don't get an invite immediately. Plenty of my classmates didn't interview until March or April of this year. I interviewed in October, and I seem to have had one of the earlier interviews among those accepted. (In fact, one guy I met got accepted on the day of the white coat ceremony!)

2) Don't feel apprehensive about applying if you're an OOS applicant. My state of residence was/is Ohio, and I was accepted no problem (statswise, I had a 3.6/31). Some people on this board have expressed apprehension about SOM's reported 99% in-state student composition, but that 99% figure is in fact a bit of an illusion. Why? Well, up until this year OOS applicants could immediately become NJ residents when they became UMDNJ students, and the in-state tuition savings is substantial. Because of this, almost everyone took the option to change their state of residency, and it usually looked like SOM drafted incoming classes made up almost exclusively of in-state students. However, this year the rules regarding residency changes have been modified and now OOS students can't change their state of residency until their second year. Judging from the people in the class of 2013 that I've met so far, I'd say the in-state/OOS ratio is more like 80/20, but I don't have any official figures to back this up.

3) If your interview doesn't seem to go well, don't lose hope. Quite a few classmates I've spoken to have said that they didn't feel their interviews went particularly well.

4) Expect this application season to be competitive. UMDNJ-SOM received a record 3,500+ applications last year, and one of the staffers in the admissions office told me that as of one week before orientation the application volume was up 200% over last year. The overall acceptance rate last year was under 5%, and it only looks like it's going to get still lower this year. On the other hand, it seems as though the school is aiming to increase the size of its incoming class by at least 15 students next year - which will give the class of 2014 an overall size of about 150. (From what I've heard, the class of 2013 was originally only supposed to be ~120, but they ultimately decided to accept 135.) With any luck, the increasing number of seats in the incoming class may help balance out the additional competitiveness caused by the skyrocketing application volumes.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Last edited:
how friendly is the office? can we call?

The admissions directors are friendly and will definitely answer questions if you call.

Members don't see this ad :)
It was a phone call for me last year also. If I remember correctly, the committee makes admissions decisions on the third Friday of each month and if you're accepted, you're often called the same day.

As we come into Interview Season remember, you are on from the minute you walk into the door until you leave the parking lot. You never know who you may see or bump into. Be on your best behavior, and if you do not have any questions, you are not well prepared.

interview invite today... for sep 23rd

Does anyone know what days they interview? I got a voicemail saying they wanted to schedule an interview. I'd be flying from CA so the only days possible for me would be Monday or Friday.

the people who got interviews? are you nj residents?

So I called today to verify that nothing had changed with my profile, citing that I had some problems with things going to my SPAM mail.... I got a very rude, "We will telephone, you." ...as she nearly hung up on me.... NOT IMPRESSED. Just figured I would share in the pitiful first-round experience with UMDNJ....

I am not sure who you spoke with, but everyone in that office is pretty nice. And I know that first hand. They are very helpful and polite.

hi guys,

I was wondering if I should fill out a secondary for this school. My cGPA is 3.29, sGPA is 3.22 English as second language. I'm an OOS applicant as well. Do you think I have a chance? will I get an interview?

Last edited:
hi guys,

I was wondering if I should fill out a secondary for this school. My cGPA is 3.29, sGPA is 3.22 MCAT 23Q (8PS/ 6VR/ 9BS) English as second language. I'm an OOS applicant as well. Do you think I have a chance? will I get an interview?

My advise personally is to apply broadly. If UMDNJ is one of the school's you can see yourself attending, then definitely apply. An interview is not guaranteed, but definitely possible.

I just interviewed at this school, and I must say that I was impressed. The administrative staff was very helpful, the students were very friendly, and the faculty seemed very accessible. This is a great school.

did they say how often they interview students? and how many people were with you today?

i would love to get an invite from this school. i submitted my primary in june and my secondary in july, still nothing. my stats are around what they are looking for too.

Does this school send out emails stating that you are complete? I'm assuming that I'm complete because I noticed that they cashed my check about a month ago... but no email...

The school sends out an email indicating that you are complete. There were about ten people there today, and it seems like they are interviewing on Wednesdays almost every week.

In case you're curious...The school received my secondary on 8/21, and I received an email on 8/24 stating I was complete. I received an invite on 8/25.

The admissions committee meets on the 3rd Friday of the month, so I should be hearing back from them in a couple of days. Also, I think the quick turn-around on my application may be due to the fact that my application was complete on the 3rd Friday of August.

Last edited:
i interviewed yesterday and there were also 10ish ppl there. we all find out friday night if we're in or not. the total amount of interviews given from last week and this week is 45 and all 45 will be presented to the admissions committee at 1pm on friday. best of luck to all.

I'm still hoping for an interview here...

good luck, hope ya get in

i interviewed yesterday and there were also 10ish ppl there. we all find out friday night if we're in or not. the total amount of interviews given from last week and this week is 45 and all 45 will be presented to the admissions committee at 1pm on friday. best of luck to all.

were you all nj resident?

Most of the ppl interviewed were NJ residents

i'm hoping to get an interview. from what i hear, this is a really good school. i'm from ny.

btw i like your icon :D

i'm hoping to get an interview. from what i hear, this is a really good school. i'm from ny.

btw i like your icon :D

lol i always preferred keroppi over hello kitty. i was really impressed with the facilities. hope you get an interview too. someone from my interview group was actually from ny.

This school hates me. I email them about 3 times over the course of a month and no responses. I call to ask if I am complete this morning and the lady hangs up on me... They cashed my secondary check and don't even answer my questions. Where is the love UMDNJ??

This school hates me. I email them about 3 times over the course of a month and no responses. I call to ask if I am complete this morning and the lady hangs up on me... They cashed my secondary check and don't even answer my questions. Where is the love UMDNJ??

Hahahaha... probably the same lady who nearly hung up on me... prepare yourself for the "the UMDNJ ladies in the office are nothing but sweet" post that'll surely come in response to your comment! HA!:laugh:

I just got my acceptance call... guess who's going to be a doctor?!?!?!?!?!?! =D

I just got the call. I am going to be a doctor!!!

They said we would know on friday. I interviewed wednesday. Im losing it, I just want to know either way. its 5:08, should I just give up on today? Do waitlists and rejections still get calls?

Yea i interviewed wednesday too. I think its over its 5:30 now. I think Im wait listed :-(

I got my call on Friday at 3:21pm... I GOT IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm so excited!!!! I'M GONNA B A DOCTOR!!!!

Thank God!!!:thumbup:

Hey guys/gals,

I'm entering the class of 2014 at UMDNJ-SOM.. I was wondering if any students have some good/CHEAP apartments (or anything) that they either:
1. living in and will be able to pass it on to me by next yr
2. living in and will be able to share it by next yr
3. know of and might be able to guide me in da right directions

Please send me a message to let me know...

I would really appreciate that... Thanks...

Interview invite today! Will be there 10/2... very excited! :)