UMDNJ Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why would you assume that??

I've seen him in the allo threads a lot, and he has excellent stats. I was assuming that since he applied to a lot of MD schools, he used the DO school as a backup. By asking that question, I wanted to know if he would choose the DO school over the MD school and why.

I am in a similar position (acceptance to an MD school), and I am still heavily leaning towards SOM.

I loved the school and already sent my deposit to SOM, so please don't think I'm knocking the school or the degree in any way.

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen him in the allo threads a lot, and he has excellent stats. I was assuming that since he applied to a lot of MD schools, he used the DO school as a backup. By asking that question, I wanted to know if he would choose the DO school over the MD school and why.

I am in a similar position (acceptance to an MD school), and I am still heavily leaning towards SOM.

I loved the school and already sent my deposit to SOM, so please don't think I'm knocking the school or the degree in any way.

Never thought you were. Just curious, you may be on the waitlist and trying to figure out who is not your competition for the seat.

Never thought you were. Just curious, you may be on the waitlist and trying to figure out who is not your competition for the seat.

Good to know.

Maybe I've been too sensitized by the multiple DO vs. MD threads that seem to immediately erupt into flame wars b/c someone is insulted by a post.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question!
So I have a 1:00 interview and there is a lunch and tour at 12:00.
Do you think it would look bad if I didn't go to it?
I live in NY so I wouldn't mind going back to have a tour of the school.
But I think I would just be too nervous on the actual day before my interview that I wouldn't be able to enjoy it and take all the information in.

Question!
So I have a 1:00 interview and there is a lunch and tour at 12:00.
Do you think it would look bad if I didn't go to it?
I live in NY so I wouldn't mind going back to have a tour of the school.
But I think I would just be too nervous on the actual day before my interview that I wouldn't be able to enjoy it and take all the information in.

The tour is a chance for you to ask questions to current students that you may not feel comfortable asking your interviewer.

It would not look bad because people have lives. The interview is very laid back. So laid back that while you wait, you are watching TV. If not, then see if they can arrange for a tour afterwards.

Hey guys... i do not know what school to pick at the moment. I loved SOM when i visited and the faculty and students were extremely nice. I applied here because it was a school in New Jersey that the doctor I did an internship with spoke very highly of. I am waiting on a couple more schools and their decision so i need make a hefty pro/con list haha. So to address the previous posts, i Did not use this as a back up. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. Great school BTW.

How is the in-network coverage?

Last edited:
Interview invite today! Scheduled for early November!

Stats:
Age: 27, sGPA: 3.77, cGPA: 3.83, OOS (PA), 32Q (10,11,11)

They turned around my secondary pretty quick. I mailed it in about 2 weeks ago and got a call saying it was complete and that they wanted to interview me. My first! I'm stoked!

Interview invite today! Scheduled for early November!

Stats:
Age: 27, sGPA: 3.77, cGPA: 3.83, OOS (PA), 32Q (10,11,11)

They turned around my secondary pretty quick. I mailed it in about 2 weeks ago and got a call saying it was complete and that they wanted to interview me. My first! I'm stoked!

Congrats! I think you're going to like the school. Good luck.

They called to schedule an interview and my phone was dead! NOOOO. First thing Monday morning I know who I'm calling back. :)

Heh, I saw the area code and didn't answer because I thought it could be my employer. Best surprise when I listened to the message. The dates they offered me were Tuesdays and Wednesdays for the next two weeks.

I just wanted to put a quick post out about housing. I know people are quoting one bedrooms at $800...but we have a 2 bedroom for $800 and it's about 2 minutes further from the school. There are so many nice complexes that are NOT the Village and Echelon Glenn. I don't know why it bugs me so much, but it does-- those are the two places everyone mentioned when my husband and I moved here too. Definitely shop around!!

I just wanted to put a quick post out about housing. I know people are quoting one bedrooms at $800...but we have a 2 bedroom for $800 and it's about 2 minutes further from the school. There are so many nice complexes that are NOT the Village and Echelon Glenn. I don't know why it bugs me so much, but it does-- those are the two places everyone mentioned when my husband and I moved here too. Definitely shop around!!

I like da enthusiasm.. Ur husband's a lucky med student.. He's definitely gonna need it..

Anybody have a list of interview questions for this school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone!
I finally decided to become a member of this thread.
I'm also lucky enough to have an interview invite at UMDNJ SOM.

So my question is has anyone who have already been interviewed been asked alot of questions about the health care reform or ethical dilemmas?

I know there is an interview thread but they only list like the first three questions so I thought I'd ask about these questions as well.
Thanks!

Hello everyone!
I finally decided to become a member of this thread.
I'm also lucky enough to have an interview invite at UMDNJ SOM.

So my question is has anyone who have already been interviewed been asked alot of questions about the health care reform or ethical dilemmas?

I know there is an interview thread but they only list like the first three questions so I thought I'd ask about these questions as well.
Thanks!

i just interviewed on friday and i was not asked anything about the healthcare system or ethical issues.....it was very conversational and every question was one that you would expect (why do, why umdnj, have you ever shadowed a do, etc).....it was an amazing school and everyone seems so happy to be there.....best of luck to you, i will be keeping my fingers crossed until i hear!

I like da enthusiasm.. Ur husband's a lucky med student.. He's definitely gonna need it..

Thanks, yeah, it's a bit rough being the spouse. If any of you "accepted's" have a husband or wife.....send them my way, I'm trying to get a significant others club going.

Thanks, yeah, it's a bit rough being the spouse. If any of you "accepted's" have a husband or wife.....send them my way, I'm trying to get a significant others club going.

It looks like my wife and I will be there next year. Are you using the health care plan provided by the school, and how is it?

It looks like my wife and I will be there next year. Are you using the health care plan provided by the school, and how is it?

The health plan is a good one. But if you want to cover your wife with it, it will cost you. If she works she should get her own through her work. If she does get health benefits through work then if you can get on it, and prove that you are covered, you can defer from the school's plan and have the charge taken off your tuition bill.

Have many people interviewed, thus far, from outside the NJ area? I've seen a few people from NY, but haven't seen much else???

Have many people interviewed, thus far, from outside the NJ area? I've seen a few people from NY, but haven't seen much else???

not everyone who interviews comes to SDN. So there is no real showing of where people come from. But to give you an idea of where people are from a small spattering of states included: CO, PA, CA, MA, FL

I can hardly wait for nov 20. waiting is killing me! i really really really fell in love with this place!

Does anyone have the contact information (phone, preferably e-mail address) for Paula Watkins at Admissions?

Does this school have any international programs? Either for a couple of weeks, or clinical rotations overseas?

Does this school have any international programs? Either for a couple of weeks, or clinical rotations overseas?

you can do pretty much whatever you want in the summer. when I was talking to the med students during the tour and lunch, they said alot of people go abroad and do volunteer work or do research at other hospitals. one girl is doing research at umdnj for her do/phd. so you can do whatever you want

During the summer between your 1st and 2nd year you have off. You can do what you want. The other chance you have to do international medical work is in your 4th year.

If you would like to do an international rotation, you need to coordinate it through the clinical coordinator and she will help you and walk you through what you need to do.

not everyone who interviews comes to SDN. So there is no real showing of where people come from. But to give you an idea of where people are from a small spattering of states included: CO, PA, CA, MA, FL
I interviewed and was accepted - I am an Ohio resident, accepted in Sept. The majority of people I met were NJ residents. Hope this helps!

During the summer between your 1st and 2nd year you have off. You can do what you want. The other chance you have to do international medical work is in your 4th year.

If you would like to do an international rotation, you need to coordinate it through the clinical coordinator and she will help you and walk you through what you need to do.

Oh cool.. Thx..
Do you happen to have the contact info for the clinical coordinator? Either email/phone or both will do fine..

So I just got verified 11/8, and working on my secondaries to send them in by fri.. my stats are

cGPA: 3.15
sGPA: 2.9
MCAT: 25M (8, 9, 8)

Grad school gpa so far is 3.6 for a masters in public health, just finished one semester. Shadowed 2 D.O.s and worked for one MD. Extracurriculars in counseling, volunteering at a hospital, now doing an internship in a clinic helping with a project and learning patient intake.

What do you think my chances are of getting in?

So I just got verified 11/8, and working on my secondaries to send them in by fri.. my stats are

cGPA: 3.15
sGPA: 2.9
MCAT: 25M (8, 9, 8)

Grad school gpa so far is 3.6 for a masters in public health, just finished one semester. Shadowed 2 D.O.s and worked for one MD. Extracurriculars in counseling, volunteering at a hospital, now doing an internship in a clinic helping with a project and learning patient intake.

What do you think my chances are of getting in?

my stats are 3.5 sci and cgpa and 28 mcat with all the extracurricular most premeds have. ive been completed since july and heard nothing since. (im oos) good luck

10 days until we can potentially hear some good news......soooo nervous i'm freaking out ahhh.....i know there are a bunch of you in the same position best of luck to us!!! :xf::xf::xf:

I interviewed a few days ago...they have the meeting friday and call after, expect news at 3-5pm probably

I interviewed a few days ago...they have the meeting friday and call after, expect news at 3-5pm probably

ahh i thought they met the 3rd thursday of each month and called out on fridays and maybe mondays afterwards....you have a better memory of me though, i interviewed back on oct. 23rd

When I got the call a couple of months ago, it was late afternoon - around 3 or 4.

I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG I'm so happy this is my first acceptance!!!!

Good luck to everyone else keep your cell phones near you!!!

I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG I'm so happy this is my first acceptance!!!!

Good luck to everyone else keep your cell phones near you!!!

ME TOO!

Damn, it's been such a long road. I kind of have to pinch myself - I'm going to medical school!

ME TOO!

Damn, it's been such a long road. I kind of have to pinch myself - I'm going to medical school!

congrats!!!
....it's gonna be a gooooood weekend for us haha

congrats!!!
....it's gonna be a gooooood weekend for us haha

It is! Congrats!

I have to go work on a group project now and I don't know how I'm going to get through it because my eyes keep welling up. UMDNJ has made a grown man cry!

Good luck to everyone else!

Urk...

so if you dont get a call by 5:00pm its a waitlist/rejection? :(

congrats elftown!!!

....also it doesn't necessarily mean waitlist/rejection.....when i was on my interview they said that they don't always get all the calls in on friday and they sometimes spill over to monday.....don't lose hope!

Hope so :\

I was interviewed that wednesday, so I would have been last on the list...I checked your interview dates, it looks like they call in order of the day they interviewed you

Congrats, you guys (and gals) who heard today!
I am still hoping for an interview. Any OOSers getting invites lately?