UMDNJ Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got in off the Alternate List today! Good luck and see you in August.

Members don't see this ad.

wheres everyone living?

wheres everyone living?
not sure yet.. still looking for a roommate who can go and check out the place for me. I am in Michigan ( visiting parents) and wont be back until july 27th.
are you or any one else looking for a roommate? please contact me at [email protected]. thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
just to add to my previous message.the only place i heard from a friend about is tory estate.. abt 3 miles from our school... the rates for 2 bedroom/2 bathroom are 960-1000... i think its great deal for a person bath and room... for 500 or less. let me know if any one is interested because i cant move forward until i have a second person.

Could any current students please comment on this?

The SOM website has posted in red text, "! New Academic Rules and Regulations." Without having to compare word for word this document with the current student handbook, are there any changes you know about? Anything we should be concerned about?

Also, while looking at this document and the current handbook, I noticed they both say, "Attendance at lectures, clinical rotations, and preceptorships is mandatory. Students failing to meet minimum attendance requirements for a course will receive a grade of Fail." I thought attendance wasn't mandatory ...

attendance has always been mandatory. The administration will never tell you that don't have to go to class. Your tour guide should have addressed this. Each program director will determine what their policy is regarding taking attendance.

I'm considering living in the Echelon Glen and I was wondering if anyone has any insight about parking and overall safety of the area.

So are most of you planning to live in your own apartment or share with someone? (any girls looking for roommates, feel free to PM me).

Got off the lost today! Yay! Can't wait to start in august! I was originally in the top 15 percent so the list is definently moving! If anyone is looking for a really nice and modern place and is willing to pay a little more then you should chek out abitare in voorhees, park crossing in cherry hill and the victor lofts in Camden (that's where I'll be living).
Good luck to those still waiting!

hi for anyonewho got off the waitlist could you please post your stats?? thanks so much !!=)

Maybe yours is the spot I got, just got off the waitlist today. :)

is anyone else on the waitlist on sdn? and has anyone else actually called in recently and asked if the waitlist has moved? for some reason the secretary always tells me it hasnt moved in the last two weeks... not sure why even though obviously it has since people are getting accepted..

hey ccc2009 im on the waitlist too! i wish i knew how much it typically moves. hey mmz737 do you know where on the waitlist you were? and congrats btw ! thats great news !

Members don't see this ad :)
I called today, and they said they didn't have the waitlist in percentage form anymore, just that I was in the top 30 students. Not particularly encouraging, but I was in the top 20% about a month ago. She said the list is moving but that's all she could tell me. So frustrating! Congrats to the rest of ya'll!

It's odd, they told me % until maybe 2 weeks ago, then the actual # of students in front of me. When I first got on the waitlist, I was top 10%...it eventually went up to top 15% as other students were added, some in front of me I guess. About 4-5 weeks ago, I was top 10%, then top 5%, then maybe 2-3 weeks ago, top 2% (top 6 students), and last week or the end of the previous week, they told me I was next in line. When I got to around top 5%, they told me to start calling about twice a week. Good luck to everyone else. I'm always surprised that some people don't get that much information, maybe it depends who you speak with. I always felt like people were really friendly and helpful.

is anyone else on the waitlist on sdn? and has anyone else actually called in recently and asked if the waitlist has moved? for some reason the secretary always tells me it hasnt moved in the last two weeks... not sure why even though obviously it has since people are getting accepted..

i'm waitlisted too...and ive been hearing the same thing...little to no movement :confused:

a friend of mine just withdrew her spot via email yesterday afternoon. so whoever is next in line- you will be hearing shortly!

Hershi, where is your friend going instead? (just wondering, if you don't mind sharing ;).

Drexel...she was on a waitlist there and got a call a few days ago...

Hey! To the accepted students... Congrats! Are there many of you whom are planning to withdraw if you hear back from another school? I'm just wondering if a lot of people are holding on to multiple spots or waiting to get off of another waitlist.

Does anyone know how parking works? Is there free parking in any lot or do we have to purchase a parking spot?

Also does anyone know how to set up a my.umdnj account?

Does anyone know how parking works? Is there free parking in any lot or do we have to purchase a parking spot?

Also does anyone know how to set up a my.umdnj account?

you will get a hang tag during your orientation week and this will allow you to park anywhere for staff and students. If you want a special parking spot, this will be extra.

Could any current students please comment on this?

The SOM website has posted in red text, "! New Academic Rules and Regulations." Without having to compare word for word this document with the current student handbook, are there any changes you know about? Anything we should be concerned about?

Also, while looking at this document and the current handbook, I noticed they both say, "Attendance at lectures, clinical rotations, and preceptorships is mandatory. Students failing to meet minimum attendance requirements for a course will receive a grade of Fail." I thought attendance wasn't mandatory ...

As EMT2ERDOC said, attendance has always officially been "mandatory" but it was up to the individual professor as to whether or not attendance would be taken. Generally, it was not enforced except for classes like OMM and Professionalism.

At this point, however, there are rumblings from within the administration that they may try to actually enforce the mandatory attendance policy in all classes. Some people I know in the class of 2013 are concerned about this and are starting a petition to oppose this; however, at at this point it isn't clear how vigorously the administration will enforce this policy, or if our petitioning would do anything to change it.

I'm considering living in the Echelon Glen and I was wondering if anyone has any insight about parking and overall safety of the area.

IMHO, Echelon Glen is very overpriced and there are cheaper and better options available just a few more miles away from the school (e.g., Timber Ridge, Cherrywood, Autumn Ridge, and many others).

Parking and safety in that area seem to be ok.

Some people I know in the class of 2013 are concerned about this and are starting a petition to oppose this; however, at at this point it isn't clear how vigorously the administration will enforce this policy, or if our petitioning would do anything to change it.

doubt it. This is why you have a class council and representation on the curriculum committee.

I was upset when I learned that you need to have Windows for certain programs that are being used by UMDNJ (I have a Mac). I have a copy of XP that someone gave me, but I'd rather try to do this legally (so much has changed over the years :)). Does anyone know where I can get a heavy duty student discount? I don't want to drop $200 for Windows 7 Home Premium.

As the school informed you before, your Mac should be perfectly fine. I know quite a few people in the class of 2013 who have used Macs for everything they've had to do for school and haven't had any issues.

doubt it. This is why you have a class council and representation on the curriculum committee.

Just reporting what I've heard. I know full well that most attempts to change policy outside of the class council fall on deaf ears.

I was wondering, for those who have been wait listed, how long did you have to wait for a decision? If you are still waiting, when were you put on the wait list? Thanks

I received an interview literally within the week I submitted my secondary. I was so excited as UMDNJ is/was my first choice. I interviewed the first week of January and was placed on the alternate list. I've been on that list since then (originally top 10% then top 18% after more interviews) and am still only in the top 30 (people, not percent) of that list now. It really sucks because I need to make other arrangements as it seems like I'm not getting in there. I guess it works out for people who are in higher parts of the list.

Just called yesterday and found out that I am in the top 5 people on the waitlist. I was wondering if any accepted students can comment if they are planning to withdraw from the school.

With two weeks left, its hard to be hopeful of getting off the waitlist.

There's always hope. If you search the forum, there's often stories of people coming off the wait list right before the white coat ceremony :oops:

Hey all,

I am in incoming student for 2014. I am looking at laptop options and im considering a tablet. What are your thoughts, would this be beneficial for the first two years? Advice from current students would be great.

This school is bizarre. I had great stats., came from a competitive undergrad, had great LORs, an amazing interview, but I was placed on the alternate list in September and I have remained on the “upper 10 percent” of the list since then. I stopped calling a few months ago when I made the decision to attend another school—but I’m still on the list and I’m glad to see other posts regarding this school’s inconsistency! :confused:
Maybe I'll see some of you at PCOM-Philly in Aug.! :love:

Best of luck to those still waiting to hear back!

To those of you waitlisted, I think showing interest really helps. I used to call once a week, and then when I got close, they told me to call twice a week. (I got waitlisted in Feb, accepted at the end of June). I also had visited the school twice to sit in on classes, and sent a letter of intent. You can never understand admissions, why one person gets in and another doesn't.

I'm planning to buy a macbook pro, to the person asking about laptops.

Good luck to those of you on the waitlist. If anyone is also waitlisted at NYCOM, I did withdraw my spot there so maybe that will help someone out, but I'm definitely going to UMDNJ, it was my top choice and I can't wait. :)

With two weeks left, its hard to be hopeful of getting off the waitlist.

There's a guy in the class of 2013 who was accepted the day of the white coat ceremony because somebody else didn't show up.

Last year the alternate list moved a good amount, so I think anyone in that "top 10%" portion of the list has a good chance here.

What's up guys.. I'll be a 2nd year at SOM and figured I'd throw out an offer to all of those looking for apartments. If you are planning to go to Echelon Glen and wanna make $100, send me a private message. They give $200 for recommendations for their apt complex so if you put me I'll split it with you. Hit it up.

By the way, Echelon Glen has been solid, safe, and convenient, although all the apartment complexes are too similar to worry too much about selecting. I just prefer the location of the Glen and Village.

hi everyone, i am probably posting this question in the wrong thread but hopefully someone here can help me. i am starting the MBS program at UMDNJ this fall. I have not taken the MCAT yet, but i am scheduled for July 30th and Ill take it one more time late August or early sept. So my question is...

1. would that be way late in the process? I know January is their deadline for primaries but still curious as to whether that will place me at a disadvantage or not.

2. has anyone else gone from the MBS to DO program? and if so any advice??

3. is anyone here doing a DO/PhD program?

thanks guys!

I just withdrew my spot this afternoon. Best of luck to the next person on the waitlist...

:thumbup:

An 18% increase from $26,227 to $30,948. Wow. I wonder how much it will be next year.

I was expecting a jump to 30K, so I wasn't surprised. NJ capped tuition hikes for undergraduates to about 4% I think, so students in graduate programs took a bigger hit than they otherwise would have. I'm hoping they cap it for us next year. :xf:

Hi All,

I bought some text books on Amazon and purchased the same book twice by mistake. Does anyone want to buy this off of me, its much cheaper than list price. Histology A Text and Atlas (Ross). 60 vs 75 list.

Thanks,

Mike