UMDNJ Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys/gals,

I'm entering the class of 2014 at UMDNJ-SOM.. I was wondering if any students have some good/CHEAP apartments (or anything) that they either:
1. living in and will be able to pass it on to me by next yr
2. living in and will be able to share it by next yr
3. know of and might be able to guide me in da right directions

Please send me a message to let me know...

I would really appreciate that... Thanks...

Alot of people rent apartments at The Village and Echelon Glen. These are the only two I looked at when I moved up here and I chose Echelon Glen. I'm real satisfied and it seems like they've been lowering prices by the week. For a one-bedroom its definitely under 800/mo now. Good luck and congrats.

And P.S. Those ladies in the admissions office are nicer than those from any school's admissions office that I dealt with during my application process last year. I think I called twice a week from December to June while I was on the waitlist :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

My interview at UMDNJ was so laid back. The interviewer started it off by telling me that he wanted it to be conversational and easy-going.

I know I said this before, but this is an awesome school. I'm glad I was accepted here.

Good luck to everyone.

dochomer congrats on your acceptance! are you an in state applicant or out of state?

Members don't see this ad :)
for an OOS 3.42 cum w/ 3.1 sci gpa and 24 mcat think this will allow an interview? 6verbal tho

for an OOS 3.42 cum w/ 3.1 sci gpa and 24 mcat think this will allow an interview? 6verbal tho

It's hard to say. That verbal score will hurt your chances. But you won't know without applying, so I say go for it.

For those people who got accepted, did you receive your packet in the mail yet?

Alot of people rent apartments at The Village and Echelon Glen. These are the only two I looked at when I moved up here and I chose Echelon Glen. I'm real satisfied and it seems like they've been lowering prices by the week. For a one-bedroom its definitely under 800/mo now. Good luck and congrats.

And P.S. Those ladies in the admissions office are nicer than those from any school's admissions office that I dealt with during my application process last year. I think I called twice a week from December to June while I was on the waitlist :rolleyes:

I agree.. These apts at Echelon Glen do look pretty good... Thx for da reply

My interview at UMDNJ was so laid back. The interviewer started it off by telling me that he wanted it to be conversational and easy-going.

I know I said this before, but this is an awesome school. I'm glad I was accepted here.

Good luck to everyone.

When was ur interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
I called today about my secondary and the admissions office told me they do application reviews the third Thursday of every month. I'm not entirely sure the woman understood my question, but assuming she did, am I going to have to wait until Oct 15th before they consider me for an interview?

I called today about my secondary and the admissions office told me they do application reviews the third Thursday of every month. I'm not entirely sure the woman understood my question, but assuming she did, am I going to have to wait until Oct 15th before they consider me for an interview?

I thought it was the 3rd Friday of every month. In any event, I think you will have to wait until then.

Good luck! It seems like a great school...

application reviews for interviews are conducted on a rolling basis. the 3rd friday of every month is when the interviewed applicants are considered for admission.

application reviews for interviews are conducted on a rolling basis. the 3rd friday of every month is when the interviewed applicants are considered for admission.

Thanks, that's what I thought. That is why I didn't think the woman on the other end understood my question.

Did you guys get anything over the weekend? I got the phone call, but I still want that letter in hand.

Nothing yet. I'm going to wait until the mail comes in today, and if the letter's not in there, I'm going to call tomorrow.

I just called the admissions office. They said that the department that takes care of the acceptance packets are short staffed right now, but we should be getting them in the mail pretty soon :)

I just called the admissions office. They said that the department that takes care of the acceptance packets are short staffed right now, but we should be getting them in the mail pretty soon :)

Hey, Thanks for the update.

Is the interview closed file or open file? I am working on the secondary now ( I know it's super late) and I wonder if I should write about doing badly in some of my classes. I know people mention that you should not generally talk about your negatives, and if you must only in a positive light. What do you guys think?

Is the interview closed file or open file? I am working on the secondary now ( I know it's super late) and I wonder if I should write about doing badly in some of my classes. I know people mention that you should not generally talk about your negatives, and if you must only in a positive light. What do you guys think?

It depends. The 2ndary is where you SHINE the most to attract them so that they wanna interview you. In the interview, they will ask you more specific questions about those classes.
HOWEVER, if you think "doing badly" is bad enough as to keep you from getting an interview, the 2ndary is where you explain that so that you could get an interview.

In other words, if you have like a GPA of 3.6 and up, you probably don't need to mention that in the 2ndary...
but if you have like a 3.2, u probably need to mention it and clear up any misunderstanding (tell them wat happened n show that you have bounced back n your still a very motivated and competitive applicant)..

Hope this helps.

It depends. The 2ndary is where you SHINE the most to attract them so that they wanna interview you. In the interview, they will ask you more specific questions about those classes.
HOWEVER, if you think "doing badly" is bad enough as to keep you from getting an interview, the 2ndary is where you explain that so that you could get an interview.

In other words, if you have like a GPA of 3.6 and up, you probably don't need to mention that in the 2ndary...
but if you have like a 3.2, u probably need to mention it and clear up any misunderstanding (tell them wat happened n show that you have bounced back n your still a very motivated and competitive applicant)..

Hope this helps.

While you have good intentions, this advise is not necessarily True. The grades are there, they WILL already be seen. Why are you going to shine a spotlight on them? If you receive an interview it will be WITH those grades and NOT because of your explanation as to what happened. If you want to write something and there is a significant reason such as a significant life event (birth, death, significant illness, etc) that would explain this slight dip in your record and then an upward trend then mention it but do not put too much emphasis on it.

Your personal statement is a chance for the adcoms to understand not only WHY you want to go into medicine other than watching ER, WHY DO, and WHY our school. If there was an event such as an illness a shadowing experience, etc. that answers those questions, AND peaks the interest of the adcom and the interviewers then write about it.

The interview is open file. Everything is seen before the interviewer enters the room. This is why there is no need to explain bad grades based as stated above. If you have a limited amount of space, why are you going to repeat something if you have a limited amount of space?

get it?

I will not mention my bad grades at all. Thanks for the input. I hope to finish the second essay and get the application out tonight, but honestly I don't think my chances of getting the interview are high. My secondary is late and my sGPA is a 3.2 with 27 MCAT. We'll see, thanks for the advice.

While you have good intentions, this advise is not necessarily True. The grades are there, they WILL already be seen. Why are you going to shine a spotlight on them? If you receive an interview it will be WITH those grades and NOT because of your explanation as to what happened. If you want to write something and there is a significant reason such as a significant life event (birth, death, significant illness, etc) that would explain this slight dip in your record and then an upward trend then mention it but do not put too much emphasis on it.

Your personal statement is a chance for the adcoms to understand not only WHY you want to go into medicine other than watching ER, WHY DO, and WHY our school. If there was an event such as an illness a shadowing experience, etc. that answers those questions, AND peaks the interest of the adcom and the interviewers then write about it.

The interview is open file. Everything is seen before the interviewer enters the room. This is why there is no need to explain bad grades based as stated above. If you have a limited amount of space, why are you going to repeat something if you have a limited amount of space?

get it?

True. We kinda have da same idea but we said it differently. Or I just didn't explain myself clearly enough..
What I had in mind is that if u have a D for a science class (for example) and you have a legitimate reason for dat low score (got into a car accident da morning of da final exam n missed a portion of it)... I believe the 2ndary is a good place to explain (if they ask for it..).. Some 2ndaries ask for "any additional info u want the adcom to know"... that'd b a good place to include dat...
But if u don't have a "good" reason for da low grade, mentioning it won't do u any good...

But that's really a judgment call... Some might choose to do it n some mite not.. But I do believe that if u have a good reason for it, you should say it bcuz that D might keep u from getting an interview if left unexplained...

Thanks EMT2ER for commenting and clarifying some of the points..

True. We kinda have da same idea but we said it differently. Or I just didn't explain myself clearly enough..
What I had in mind is that if u have a D for a science class (for example) and you have a legitimate reason for dat low score (got into a car accident da morning of da final exam n missed a portion of it)... I believe the 2ndary is a good place to explain (if they ask for it..).. Some 2ndaries ask for "any additional info u want the adcom to know"... that'd b a good place to include dat...
But if u don't have a "good" reason for da low grade, mentioning it won't do u any good...

But that's really a judgment call... Some might choose to do it n some mite not.. But I do believe that if u have a good reason for it, you should say it bcuz that D might keep u from getting an interview if left unexplained...

Thanks EMT2ER for commenting and clarifying some of the points..

I was placed on academic probation for a couple of semesters, so I had to address that in my primary application since there is a question that specifically asks for it. However, I had great grades in my last two years and during my post-bacc. I didn't address that aspect of my application at all on my secondaries. The ad coms will not just focus on one or two bad grades and will consider your entire application. Let it speak for itself.

The only other time I mentioned it was at a closed-file interview that asked me if there was anything about my application that I wanted to address. Even then I focused more about what I learned from the experience and how I'm not the same person. I cited examples to prove that I am. (I got in by the way.)

Don't bring up or focus on any negatives unless you absolutely need to address them. Sometimes people unintentionally provide answers that sound like excuses, which will work against you because you sound like you're whining.

In conclusion, I mostly agree with EMT2ER. Address negatives if you absolutely must do so, and own up to your shortcomings if you do.

So i just sent in my primary today, OCT 1.

my stats are pretty good 3.7/34Q

My letters of rec are already in at AMCAS and so are my transcripts. When will i get a secondary by and assuming i finish it within the next three days, will I be on time to get an interview?

So i just sent in my primary today, OCT 1.

my stats are pretty good 3.7/34Q

My letters of rec are already in at AMCAS and so are my transcripts. When will i get a secondary by and assuming i finish it within the next three days, will I be on time to get an interview?

I don't think AMCAS will send your letters to DO schools????

Im talking about the MD school of UMDNJ

Just received the acceptance snail mail... excited..

In terms of apts, how does it work? For example, if i rent a 2 bedroom apt, can i have 1 more person w/ me n splitting up da cost?

Housing is all up to you. If you want to rent a 1 BR apartment and be alone, rent a 2 BR apartment with out without a roommate, it is up to you. Of course, the more people that you have living with you the less the cost of living will be. But then again, you will have to live with someone. Some people really like it because they can not only split the costs but they have a study partner with them. Other people prefer to live alone because after 8 hours of being with the same people day in and day out, you want your own space.

up to you.

If you are from North Jersey, you will see that the cost of living is much cheaper down here. For example, a 1 BR apartment can run you about $800/month down here.

Housing is all up to you. If you want to rent a 1 BR apartment and be alone, rent a 2 BR apartment with out without a roommate, it is up to you. Of course, the more people that you have living with you the less the cost of living will be. But then again, you will have to live with someone. Some people really like it because they can not only split the costs but they have a study partner with them. Other people prefer to live alone because after 8 hours of being with the same people day in and day out, you want your own space.

up to you.

If you are from North Jersey, you will see that the cost of living is much cheaper down here. For example, a 1 BR apartment can run you about $800/month down here.

Thx..

Just curious if any OOS applicants got interview invites yet?

For those of you that have already interviewed, how long was the entire interview day? I live right down the street from the school so the drive is not a problem. My interview is scheduled at 9:30 am but I have a class at 1pm in Philly. I intend to stay after the interview for the tour and lunch, so can anyone PLEASE tell me how long the day took them? I'm SOOOO excited about this school, so I'll cancel my class if I have to. lol. :rolleyes:

For those of you that have already interviewed, how long was the entire interview day? I live right down the street from the school so the drive is not a problem. My interview is scheduled at 9:30 am but I have a class at 1pm in Philly. I intend to stay after the interview for the tour and lunch, so can anyone PLEASE tell me how long the day took them? I'm SOOOO excited about this school, so I'll cancel my class if I have to. lol. :rolleyes:

I didn't get out of there until 2 PM. I think it's worth staying for the tour.

i'll have to second that, probably around 2. My interview was at 2:30, so after the tour I spent some time chilling in the admissions office... :)
best of luck with your interview! i really enjoyed mine...

for anyone who interviewed and might have missed this, the admissions lady said they would be calling with acceptances next Friday the 16th... :luck:

hey to those who got accepted what were your stats? thanks :)

hey just got the acceptance call!! interviewed 9/23 Stats: 3.5/3.7 33 Loved the school very excited

Yay second acceptance!!! Feeling very blessed. Congrats to all!
3.45/3.05, 36T
:biglove:

hey just got the acceptance call!! interviewed 9/23 Stats: 3.5/3.7 33 Loved the school very excited

Hey Mike,

I noticed you got into NJMS. I'm assuming you would just go there, right?