UMDNJ Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know this has probably been asked a million times but I need to know if there are any updates on acceptances. So is the class full? ?Are they still interviewing?

I'm just so frustrated because I was told by phone that I was accepted to the school... only to get a mailed letter a couple weeks later saying I was waitlisted. I was so upset but I still would really would love to go to this school if accepted.

do you remember who called you? did they talk about paying a deposit? i would be pretty upset if i received that call but was waitlisted. call the office and double check.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, just wanted to wish you all good luck in getting in. I was at UMDNJ on Friday and they had the president of the Student Government (or something like that..) talk to us and she said she had been accepted off the waitlist in the summer. My point is just don't give up!! ^_^

I know this has probably been asked a million times but I need to know if there are any updates on acceptances. So is the class full? ?Are they still interviewing?

I'm just so frustrated because I was told by phone that I was accepted to the school... only to get a mailed letter a couple weeks later saying I was waitlisted. I was so upset but I still would really would love to go to this school if accepted.

One of the faculty members at the Accepted Students' Day said something that gave me the impression that the class was full. Is there someone else that can confirm/deny?

Members don't see this ad :)
One of the faculty members at the Accepted Students' Day said something that gave me the impression that the class was full. Is there someone else that can confirm/deny?

I was told the same thing.

I was told the same thing.

I was told the class was full all the way back in mid-February.

It seems that historically, the waitlist at this school moves quite a bit.

well just because the class is now "full" doesn't necessarily mean that everyone will attend right? People still have the opportunity to drop if they choose to go elsewhere....I feel like especially at UMDNJ where the deposit isn't as significant as other schools, most people would hold their spot because it isn't as much of a financial "hit"

well just because the class is now "full" doesn't necessarily mean that everyone will attend right?

I believe that when a school says that a class is 'full', it means that they've given out all of the initial accepted slots they're willing to chance on. For example - I know that a few years ago, UMichigan Medical School would offer 3 acceptances for every open seat in the class. They knew from history that they would be pretty safe (i.e. they won't overadmit) doing so.

So, yeah. There's a good chance that they will take people from the waitlist after interviews are over in mid-April. Of course, weird things do happen. I think Western had only taken 2 people off of the waitlist by June last year, and I read something ambiguous on SDN that possibly indicated less than 10 people getting off of the UMDNJ waitlist in 2004.

Then again, somebody else here has said that they were only in the "top 50%" of the waitlist at UMDNJ and made it in around June, I think. My point is that it changes from year to year.

When I interviewed with Dr. Krueger, he told me that UMDNJ-SOM does not accept more people than there are open seats. So for each person that declines acceptance one person gets pulled off the wait list. By all accounts the wait list at SOM moves a lot. The woman I spoke to on the phone at admissions said that based on my position on the list she was confident I would be offered a spot, she just couldn't be sure when. Hopefully all of us wait-ers will get good news soon.

adcom meets tom...good luck to all the waitlisters...hopefully a few of us get phone callss...plz update if any of you do receive a call tomorrow

I withdrew on Tuesday. I really hope one of you gets the spot. Good luck!!! :love:

When I interviewed with Dr. Krueger, he told me that UMDNJ-SOM does not accept more people than there are open seats. So for each person that declines acceptance one person gets pulled off the wait list. By all accounts the wait list at SOM moves a lot. The woman I spoke to on the phone at admissions said that based on my position on the list she was confident I would be offered a spot, she just couldn't be sure when. Hopefully all of us wait-ers will get good news soon.

Do you know what percent you were in?

I called today and although they met today she said they will not be making phone calls until next week. I have no clue why that is!

I was also told by the receptionist that on average about 25% of the waitlist gets accepted.

Does anyone know what those nice looking condos by UMDNJ are called? (the ones where construction is being done to add new buildings)

I was upset when I learned that you need to have Windows for certain programs that are being used by UMDNJ (I have a Mac). I have a copy of XP that someone gave me, but I'd rather try to do this legally (so much has changed over the years :)). Does anyone know where I can get a heavy duty student discount? I don't want to drop $200 for Windows 7 Home Premium.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I didn't like hearing that either, DocHomer.

On another note, the financial aid section of the UMDNJ portal had shown $35,000 for tuition under the cost of attendance. Today it's showing $26,227. Are they raising tuition or not? What the hell is going on? This is a tremendous difference. I just tried calling the financial aid office but no one answered. I'll try again in a bit.

My tuition is still listed as $35K. Hmmm...?

Mine still says 35k also, which I assume is the In State amount even though I am an Out Of State student. (I highly doubt OOS tuition dropped) I'm having difficulty knowing how much aid I'll need without knowing the actual OOS tuition increase amounts... frustrating.

I was upset when I learned that you need to have Windows for certain programs that are being used by UMDNJ (I have a Mac). I have a copy of XP that someone gave me, but I'd rather try to do this legally (so much has changed over the years :)). Does anyone know where I can get a heavy duty student discount? I don't want to drop $200 for Windows 7 Home Premium.

Try http://win741.com/

It used to be $30 but now it's $65.

Does anybody know what SOM's attrition rate is?

I just sent the e-mail withdrawing from my spot in the class. I hope one of you whose top choice is UMDNJ gets my spot. Good luck everyone!

By the way, so I got into UMDNJ today! Yay!

They told me that tuition is only going to raise 4%. I say "only" because I thought it'd be much more. The "OOS to instate tuition after one year" thing is going to stay.

They told me that tuition is only going to raise 4%. I say "only" because I thought it'd be much more. The "OOS to instate tuition after one year" thing is going to stay.
congrats Cheshyre! did you happen to know where you were on the waitlist? I'm just trying to figure out how much of the waitlist has moved so far. i'm waitlisted too and really anxious about the whole thing.

congrats Cheshyre! did you happen to know where you were on the waitlist? I'm just trying to figure out how much of the waitlist has moved so far. i'm waitlisted too and really anxious about the whole thing.

I was "in the top ten." I didn't bother asking whether it was top ten by position or top ten by percentage.

It seems that historically the waitlist moves quite a bit. The waitlist would've just started moving since interviews only ended a little while ago.

Okay, thanks for the info. I think they generally give people their rankings based on percentages, so I would assume you were in the top 10%. Maybe its just my wishful thinking that 10% moved already.

Does anybody know what SOM's attrition rate is?

There are many different safety nets available. The school does it hardest to ensure that you complete the program.

1) Small Class size. Because of this, the professors know who you are and they are available to help you. You can meet them after class or set up an appointment to meet with you. They will not let you leave the meeting until you feel that you understand the material.

2) No GPA. Because of this, there is no class rank. As a result, there is a cooperation among your fellow students where if you ask for help, they are more the happy to do so. Usually the upper classmen can help you out. There is no competition among students because there is no curve in the exams either.

3) The Center for Teaching and Learning. This is a department whose only goal is to help the students succeed. Ranging from advice on study habits to test taking skills, to hiring upper classmen as student tutors at no cost to you. Sometimes the upper classmen will run a review session for example: The Pathology Club reviewed Histology Slides, SOSA did an Anatomy Review. Student TA for microbiology would do a review before each exam. UAAO doing a review before the OMM exams.

The administration that admitted you believes that you can do the work and they invested a lot in you. As a result, the school will do all it can short of taking the exams for you to ensure that you will succeed.

I hope that this answered your questions. If you have any others, let me know.

First, congratulations!

Second, only 4%? That is fantastic. I was expecting a much higher increase.

Thanks a lot EMT. UMDNJ actually got to me a bit later than I would've liked, and I already have a $2K deposit in to another school that I love just as much. It's a tough decision, so any information I can get now from current students is like gold.

I am getting a little anxious over the waitlist movement. It's been really slow this year. Does anybody with experience in this matter know if it will pick up after may 15? Or no.

Yes it is for MD schools but some of the accepted students may have applied to MD schools and been accepted and deposited at both SOM and RWJ or NJMS. A lot of people may apply to all 3 NJ schools due to the in-state tuition. So some of those people may decide to go to NJMS or RWJ and withdraw from SOM.

They may not need to but I know if you matriculate (not sure if that means you start classes or just make the deposit) at one NJ school you automatically get withdrawn from the others. And even if that's not the case, if you plan to go to another, its not to your advantage to keep the other acceptance as you'll start getting forms to fill out, more bills, etc. So hopefully if someone intends to go elsewhere, they will withdraw even if they don't have to.

Beth

...if you plan to go to another, its not to your advantage to keep the other acceptance as you'll start getting forms to fill out, more bills, etc. So hopefully if someone intends to go elsewhere, they will withdraw even if they don't have to.

..but the whole point of holding on to multiple deposits is because you haven't figured out where to withdraw from yet. You're paying the extra money to buy yourself more decision-making time.

I received this email a few moments ago:

"May 12, 2010

Dear Accepted Student,

We have just been advised that MacBooks are compatible with the programs that you will need to access while at UMDNJ-SOM. So if you own a MAC computer, you can use it!

We will forward additional information as soon as it becomes available. If you have any questions, please contact our Admissions Office at (856) 566-7050.

Sincerely,

Paula Watkins
Director of Enrollment Services"

I don't need to spend $200 for a copy of Windows 7!

I just saw that email too! I don't have a macbook but I was thinking if I go to UMDNJ, perhaps I'll get one with the money I'd save in tuition. :)

Go for it! I just got one and I like the Mac OS better. It takes some getting used to the Mac way of doing things, but you'll get the hang of it.

anyone know how the waitlist is working... besides that it's ranked? i wonder how much has moved...

I checked, it's not moved much in the past 2 weeks, they said it's slower than usual. I only went up about 2% in the past 2 weeks. There's over 200 people on the wait list. They hope it may start moving more next week.

I got in this morning!

For those of you who are on the waitlist, it's moving...

interviewed: 3/22
waitlisted: 4/19
accepted: 5/17

Good luck!!! :xf:

Do you know what your rank was on the waitlist last you checked? (what % approximately)? (if you don't want to post here, feel free to PM me if you feel comfortable doing so).

Congratulations!!

Do you know what your rank was on the waitlist last you checked? (what % approximately)? (if you don't want to post here, feel free to PM me if you feel comfortable doing so).

Congratulations!!

Thanks! This is my first acceptance so I'm actually really excited...

I didn't know that we could find out where we are on the waitlist, so I never thought to ask! Sorry - if I find out in the next couple of days, I'll be sure to post.

Good luck to those still waiting.

Thanks! This is my first acceptance so I'm actually really excited...

I didn't know that we could find out where we are on the waitlist, so I never thought to ask! Sorry - if I find out in the next couple of days, I'll be sure to post.

Good luck to those still waiting.

Congratulations !!!!! good for you !
can you please let us know your stats ?

Waitlisted (OOS) on the lower 1/4. Anybody from the 1/2 get in off the waitlist. Does anybody know how many people have locked up the spots.

So have we confirmed that out of state students will definitely get in state tuition after the first year?

So have we confirmed that out of state students will definitely get in state tuition after the first year?

That's what I was told repeatedly by the admissions office. However, I've since withdrawn (for other reasons than tuition.. I actually chose a way more expensive school).

just to give you guys a heads up, UMDNJ-SOM does fin aid BEFORE they have the budget. what happens is the frequently give you less than you need for cost of attendance. You end up having to get emergency loan dispersments.

just an FYI. if the budget comes in at 4-8% higher increase in tuition, you will be scrambling for money.

It seemed cool that SOM was the medical school of South Jersey. Even one of the main signs outside the SOM complex says that on it.

NJ is broke and cutting funding to UMDNJ (which was created to be the institution for health sciences in NJ) yet is fronting the cash for this project. If we can't afford to fund UMDNJ, how can we possibly add on another state school at this time?

The fact that the dean even had to release a letter stating that the new school won't replace SOM worries me. Our incompetent politicians making decisions for our schools worries me. I know SOM has Kennedy, but don't SOM students just do their core rotations through Kennedy?

kennedy actually wants UMDNJ out of the hospital. there are talks of rotations going to Vineland, NJ.

Does the school have a gym?

not a good one. avoid the 2 gyms in lindenwold at all costs though on whitehorse pike. people have had issues with them and billing.

kennedy actually wants UMDNJ out of the hospital. there are talks of rotations going to Vineland, NJ.

I would like to know where you are getting your information. I have not heard much on this end. If you think about it UMDNJ provides almost free workforce to kennedy in the form of students and residents. Unless kennedy would like to start their own residency program or drop having any residents at all, I do not foresee this as happening.

Regarding the Vineland information. We are expanding the class size and putting almost 300 students in Kennedy per year (150 3rd and 150 4th years) is not very fair to the students nor to kennedy. Therefor the school is looking to expand the hospitals that will allow our students to rotate through. So rather than having you find your own rotation sites in 3rd year, you will have a choice of Kennedy, Vineland, Jersey Shore, St. Christophers, St. Josephs.

All of this that you are reading is very, very, very preliminary. All talk right now. But I do not foresee that Kennedy will sever its relationship with UMDNJ. Unless you know something that I do not.

I am very concerned that this provison will change. With the way the N ew Jersey finances are, I dont think this wonderful / Unique benefit will be continued, I understand UMDNJ is reviewing this provison seriously and may withdraw this anytime without notice, making us scramble for funding.

i heard something very similar to this as well from a second year student.