Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
how did you find out about this. when i called they told me they cant disclose this kind of information. do you know when the waitlist will start moving?
that's what i was told when i called last week.
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
how did you find out about this. when i called they told me they cant disclose this kind of information. do you know when the waitlist will start moving?
On the umdnj-som admissions website it says that current Tuition (2009-2010):
In State $26,227
Out-of-State $41,039
If the new numbers predict 35 k for in state tuition for the incoming class, I strongly hope we would not infer that oos tuition for the first year will be 50k.. and then 35k each year after (assuming NJ residency attained)
No kidding. 50K would be unacceptable. 41K is already over average for the schools I've been applying to, MD and DO included.
Based on what I've heard and read from previous years, I don't think the alternate list starts to move for another couple of months.Has anyone from the alternate list called for an update recently? I'm curious if there has been any movement and if anyone knows the number of people on the list right now.
Thanks!
On the umdnj-som admissions website it says that current Tuition (2009-2010):
In State $26,227
Out-of-State $41,039
If the new numbers predict 35 k for in state tuition for the incoming class, I strongly hope we would not infer that oos tuition for the first year will be 50k.. and then 35k each year after (assuming NJ residency attained) Tuition was a big reason I have been leaning at umdnj over nycom. Whereas tuition at nycom will always be more, this closes the gap in tuition quite a bit. I hope they have hard numbers to give us at accepted students day at the end of the month.
Based on what I've heard and read from previous years, I don't think the alternate list starts to move for another couple of months.
Where would you be traveling from?
I really love UMDNJ-SOM and think it would be a good idea to attend the open house. The dean is very approachable should you wish to introduce yourself. You may be able to use this experience in your secondary essay and/or interview.
Thanks! May I PM you if I have any more questions?
I will be travelling from LI, but I am from NYC.
Quick question - are lectures recorded at UMDNJ SOM? I seem to remember the answer as yes, but I'm not sure.
yes they are. However, you may no longer be able to download them onto your ipod due to copywrite issues that the professors were concerned about.
Has anyone seen the hanging art display in the University Doctors Pavilion? It is a hand made up of a ton of little hanging heads, strangely befitting to PCOM's motto, Mens et Manus (The Mind and the Hand).
yes they are. However, you may no longer be able to download them onto your ipod due to copywrite issues that the professors were concerned about.
they offer the recordings for download as well. podcasting is also available. i scribe the lectures during the weekends if i feel i missed something and it works great.
Yes, but you need to pay for a membership. I don't remember how much it costs.
Lame....
So much for tuition...
But thanks for your answer.
I think it is some ridiculous price like $55/year or something like that.
Another question...
I'm coming from the westcoast and I haven't been able to check out the area yet. Needless to say, I know nothing about the area.
Can I get by without a car? How is the public transportation?
Thanks again.
Another question...
I'm coming from the westcoast and I haven't been able to check out the area yet. Needless to say, I know nothing about the area.
Can I get by without a car? How is the public transportation?
Thanks again.
School gym is really weak, but some people make do because it's incredibly cheap. Bally used to give students a discount but that's a thing of the past. It's roughly $25-30 a month, and is starting to fall into disrepair, so a number of people have/are going to abandon that. A 24hr gym just opened in the area and they're having promotions right now, as is a newly opening LA Fitness.
Has anyone received a rejection letter who hasn't interviewed yet? Are they still conducting interviews?
How does everyone feel about this Rowan situation? I kind of wish they weren't doing it, but what can ya do.
According to google maps: 11.3 miles, 16 minutes (taking US-30 W).
I attended the presentation they had a few weeks ago about the financial crisis and it was not very uplifting. It sounded like, "We are raising tuition by an unknown amount and please give us money when you become doctors." Even a current SOM student asked whether there are plans to close down the school.
In response to your edit: I don't see why they care so much about graduating "M.D.s." ... sigh
I just read up on an article about it.
"Independent studies by both Cooper and UMDNJ concluded that there is a significant need for a four year medical school in South Jersey, and that Cooper and its medical faculty are well prepared to meet that need." - From Rowan Today.
Wow - two schools within, what, 20 miles? 10 miles?
Man.. they're really pushing Rowan. There's already a Facebook fan page for Cooper MS.
Edit: From Cooper MS's webpage - "There is a shortage of M.D. graduates, and we need to solve this problem before it becomes a health care crisis. New Jersey ranks 33rd of all states in graduating M.D.s."
http://www.cooperhealth.org/content/cooper_medical_school_rowan_university_faq.htm
I just received the email for the Accepted Students day today, and RSVP was due last Friday... I guess I won't be going. 🙁
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.