UMDNJ-GSBS MBS Fall 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello all,

I have been reading through your thread for a while. I am a current applicant for the UMDNJ-MBS Fall 2010 class. I have already submitted my application and just waiting to hear back. I am also applying to 8 other grad programs that are a mix of masters and post-bacs. I am trying to decide where to go.

I just wanted to know a few things.

For those who are currently in the program and have already completed your first semester can you please explain the difficulty of the program? The pros and cons? Was this program a good choice? If you had a chance to choice a program all over again would you still pick UMDNJ MBS program?

How well know is the program? Is this program only useful if you are trying to apply to Jersey Medical Schools?

Does anyone know anything about the combined MBS/MPH? I applied for that program as well.

Thanks

which program to choose really depends on what you need to do...

i personally did smp to do more research and make-up some of my poor undergrad science grades. i like this program. but if i were to do it over, i think i would go to programs that have better connection with their med school.. like those SMP where most or all of their participants ends up in their med school. like the one in EVMS, for example. here, your chances of getting into UMDNJ dont get better with this program. it might hurt more than it helps for most people to get into umdnj, actually. from what i heard, last year class had about ~110 people... and its usually 50/50 premed/dental, so there must've been roughly ~50 premed... and not all prollie applied to umdnj., but anycase, i heard only 3 people got in and the ADCOM were really tough on gsbs graduates and wanted to pick just a special few that realy stood out from others. like if you think about it... the med ADCOM prolie knows well how the grad program here works, so its easier for them to compare between the students here and pick and choose the "good" ones - and they prolie have the right sources to do so. you can always apply to other med school and still have a good chance with the SMP completed. i just dont think your chances at umdnj med is necessarily higher because you did an SMP here, if ya know whata mean.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello all,
The pros and cons? Was this program a good choice? If you had a chance to choice a program all over again would you still pick UMDNJ MBS program?

Thanks

on the other hand, the classes here are great and faculties are also great!! as long as you keep up with the material, you won't have a problem doing fine. i had some terrible undergrad science grades, but here I got all A's - I did put a lot of effort, though, so don't take it too easy. i think besides classes, you also gotta work hard to make yourself stand out if you want to get into njms or rwj - but thats up to you. i would strongly suggest you join a research lab, i am having a very valuable experience with mine..

about pros/cons, i've posted a post about this not too long ago. you can prolie find it on this thread.

Hello,

Thank you for your comments. This program is definitely at the top of my list because of the cost, flexibility, and location. I was unsure about the program because I never really heard of it until my advisor told me to look into it when I was deciding on whether I should apply to med school at the end of this year or not. Then when I learned that you can get both a MBS/MPH I was really excited about that.

I have been in constant communication with Dr. Wagner and she has been very helpful.

I am applying to this program to enhance my credentials to medical school. I did not do to poorly in undergrad in my science classes but i just want to become as competitive as possible when I apply and I feel like this program is the best for me at this time.

I may hold off on applying to the other programs till I hear back from UMDNJ and/or Tufts MBS which is another program on my list.

What is the community environment amongst students like? Are students friendly? Is it hard to form a study group?

I just want to make the right post-college decision.

Thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
cmcner, thanks for the information. I will definitely consider doing it in one year, with the one summer course, and the 6 postponed credits.

I have one further question. One reason Dr. Wagner was hesitant for me to take MGM (despite ultimately deciding I should take it in order to do the program in 1 year) is that I do not have a background in biochemistry. Would biochem be beneficial before taking MGM? I ask because I could take a summer class in Biochem at Rutgers before matriculating in the GSBS program this coming fall. If taking biochem would increase my chances at success in MGM then I'm all for it. What do you think?

Secondly, when does the fall semester start? Is it different based on whether or not you are taking MGM (i seem to recall something like this from somewhere in the 15 pages of this thread)?

Thank you all again for helping answer these questions...I will make sure to pay it forward next year on the forums...

Hey, I took MGM this past semester, so I hope I can give you some insight.

You will have to make a schedule that works with the MGM schedule, because, as mentioned before, MGM is on block scheduling and meets 4 days a week from 3-4 hours/day; which means that it does not start until November 2nd whereas your other courses will start late August/early September. Dr. Garrett mentioned to me during orientation that I should take one course, my seminar, and lab rotation along with MGM; but to start my lab rotation as soon as possible, this way I would be done with it before MGM started.
So I followed his advice and took Cellular pathology, a 3 credit course taught by Dr. Lambert, not incredibly hard but you definitely have to keep up with the work. I was glad I took this course because a decent amount of the lecture material synched up with the later material in MGM. I took the seminar class with Dr. Lee. This course is a requirement but very laid back. I completed my lab rotation in Dr. Vatner's lab in the department of cell biology and molecular medicine. It was very easy to complete the 60 required hours for the rotation, especially because from September to November I only really had one class to worry about, cell path. I had more than enough hours when November rolled around, and I am currently back there finishing the work on the project I began in September.
Ok, now on to MGM. I had a very pleasant experience from MGM, but I had to work at it. It is 7 weeks of intense biochem and genetics. I would recommend having some foundations in biochemistry before taking this course, because they "assume" you know some basic biochem before taking the course. They send you a list of these basic facts before the class starts. Lectures are normally 4, 55 minute lectures 4 days a week with a different professor lecturing each time, normally. There are also CBLs, or case based learning, where you are broken up into groups of 10 students and given a case and questions to answer. There are 6 CBLs and pertain to the information you learned during the week. There is a faculty facilitator for each CBL group and each has their own modality for the problem solving, some may just go around the group and ask who knows the answer and others may assign people specific questions. CBLs are not graded but the facilitators will make you participate. In addition to the CBLs there are two small group sessions lead by a 4th year medical student. Like CBLs you are given a case to discuss; however these, unlike CBLs, are graded. But all you have to do is actively participate in the discussion. And there are only 2 small groups compared to the 6 CBLs. There are 3 exams plus a shelf exam. The three exams are written by the MGM faculty and are non cumulative. The shelf exam is a cumulative biochem exam administered by the NBME. If you devote the time to studying the slides from lecture and supplementing them with the text book and BRS biochem they are very doable. The only text I used to prepare for the shelf was BRS biochem; it is a bit expensive and not one of the required texts but well worth it. The shelf is fairly difficult but it is also doubly curved. Meaning that it is curved once by the NBME and once by NJMS, so it's not that terrible.
I wound up with an A in MGM, but I had to work for it. It is a really interesting class and you get to meet some really nice people. Most of the med students were very welcoming. If you are applying to med school they really like to see you do well in MGM. If you do well it is not a guarantee you will be accepted. I am a prime example, I did well in MGM and was interviewed and subsequently waitlisted. However, if you do poorly in MGM you are pretty much done. They suggest getting a B+ or higher, which is very doable if you manage your time and don't slack off.
I you find some answers in this long-winded response, lol. If you have any specific MGM questions feel free to pm me.

Hello,

What are the stats you need to get into the program?

Thanks

lol @ the amount of questions we have for you guys. Thanks again for your responses...I am incredibly appreciative. I have recently secured a 33 on the MCAT, so I will probably go for that Rutgers Biochem summer course to prepare for MGM in the event that I take it. It sucks that I will have the added cost of summer tuition, but the gain of having taken biochem (recommended for many med schools) and increasing chance of success at MGM probably outweighs that. I will also talk to Dr. Garrett about the course further (Apollo thank you so much for all the information you gave).

I'm currently doing a 1 year post-bac and the pre health dean here is eager to write my committee letter. Does GSBS write committee letters to med school or are you guys using your undergrad schools?

Last edited:
Not to say you shouldn't take biochemistry at Rutgers, but I think with a 33 on your MCAT, Dr. Garrett is likely to select you for MGM anyway, so let them know about that. Also, GSBS does not write committee letters, so I'm getting mine from my undergraduate school.

Hey everyone,

So I've been reading this thread and I'm really glad I found it!

I graduated from undergrad in 09 with a 3.15 gpa. I am currently getting a masters in microbio at the same school which is hopefully ending in May of this year. It is a research based masters so I know it won't help me get into dental school. My decision to apply for dental school has been a really recent one and luckily I found these post bacc programs that will help strengthen my gpa.
I am really considering applying to this program and have started to fill out the application for both stratford and newark. I live in MA so i've also started the application to tufts. I haven't done anyyy shadowing and am planning on talking to my pre-med/pre-dent advisor tomorrow. I also plan on taking the GRE in early april. All that said, I have a few questions....

1. Is there anyone/do you know anyone who applied to this program with a different masters under their belt?
2. How much shadowing have ppl done prior to applying for this program (i know i technically have till June for Newark app, July for stratford and tufts)?
3. Those who are pre-dents in the program...have you continued shadowing? Have you applied to dental schools for Fall of 2010?

I am really nervous:scared::scared::scared: since I know i'm not a strong candidate for this program currently so any advice would be great

i'm all set to take my summer biochem course before starting the masters - if accepted. However, the biochem course runs until August 18th. I read up on this thread and last year's orientation was the 19th. Is orientation important? Is there anything you needed to go to in the days preceding orientation? Do you know of anyone who arranged to do orientation at another day/time due to a scheduling conflict? Do courses start right after orientation or are there a few days wait?

I ask most of these questions in case orientation is August 18th this year and I'm in a Biochem final.

Thanks for your help

i'm all set to take my summer biochem course before starting the masters - if accepted. However, the biochem course runs until August 18th. I read up on this thread and last year's
orientation was the 19th. Is orientation important?

Orientation is mandatory. It is also spread out over a few days. If you happen to be in a biochem final that you absolutely cannot get out of, when the time arrives start the negotiation and hopefully someone will budge. Also orientation is 2 days out of the week.

Is there anything you needed to go to in the days preceding orientation?

J
ust the regular healthcare packet that they are going to send you. (you need a phsyical, be up to date to your shots, etc etc.) And of course fill out your financial aid application. The earlier you get that stuff in, THE BETTER!

Do you know of anyone who arranged to do orientation at another day/time due to a scheduling conflict?

I do not know anyone who did the orientation on another day. I am not sure that is feasible. Orientation consisted of listening to speakers and learning rules, the typical blah blah stuff lol

Do courses start right after orientation or are there a few days wait?

I think there was a dental class that started immediately after orientation. Other than that, Cellular Path started in August but a week afterward. Check the link of the Fall 2009 courses so you can better guage the start times. The Fall 2010 courses should be almost around the same time.

I ask most of these questions in case orientation is August 18th this year and I'm in a Biochem final.

Thanks for your help

i'm all set to take my summer biochem course before starting the masters - if accepted. However, the biochem course runs until August 18th. I read up on this thread and last year's orientation was the 19th. Is orientation important? Is there anything you needed to go to in the days preceding orientation? Do you know of anyone who arranged to do orientation at another day/time due to a scheduling conflict? Do courses start right after orientation or are there a few days wait?

Thanks for your help

I heard of someone who missed the orientation, they had to make up the presentations. It seemed inconvenient for them but not a big deal. On the flip side if you can go to it go, I met one of my good friends in the program that day, not to mention there was free food.

hello everybody, i know this is off topic but has anyone heard back in regards to their acceptance or rejection??

Hey everyone,

I just joined the SDN because i had many questions and thought this was the best way to get them answered because you all seem really knowledgeable.

I just applied and recently got accepted into the UMDNJ-GSBS MBS program for the fall of 2010. I am hoping to get the program done in a year and i am studying for my mcats now that i am takin in august (a few days before orientation). Im really nervous about my mcats since i didnt do too well my first time around.

However, i am also nervous about the work load that will come by trying to do this program in a year. If anyone here has finished the program in a year, or know anyone that has finished the program in a year, can you please help me with telling me a good class schedule to have or how to best go about my year at UMDNJ.

Thanks a lot.

Hey everyone,

I just joined the SDN because i had many questions and thought this was the best way to get them answered because you all seem really knowledgeable.

I just applied and recently got accepted into the UMDNJ-GSBS MBS program for the fall of 2010. I am hoping to get the program done in a year and i am studying for my mcats now that i am takin in august (a few days before orientation). Im really nervous about my mcats since i didnt do too well my first time around.

However, i am also nervous about the work load that will come by trying to do this program in a year. If anyone here has finished the program in a year, or know anyone that has finished the program in a year, can you please help me with telling me a good class schedule to have or how to best go about my year at UMDNJ.

Thanks a lot.

The suggested curriculum for 1 year is listed here. Good luck!

Not sure if any of you kiddos are still around, but if any of you have experience with the classes "Molecular Virology" or "Gastrointestinal physiology and nutrition" I would very much appreciate any input or recommendations you have =) hope you all are finding success, whether you are in your 3rd semester here or have already moved on!

Yeah if any of you guys are still around, I'd love to hear how you found the program and how it helped/did not help you get into medical school

I would also like to know if anyone is still here who is applying to this program for fall 2011. I am considering applying but I had one question about my eligibilty to the program. The prerequisites state classes must be taken in the usual sciences. I have taken everything except organic chemistry. I plan to take Orgo I and II this spring and summer. Would I still be able to apply for the Fall 2011 semester? Also it does not specificy if the labs are required, would I also have to take Orgo Lab in these next two semesters? Thanks for your help everyone.

do you guys think i'll be able to take the dental school classes with a 19AA/19TS?