UMDNJ-GSBS MBS Fall 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jxc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else is applying to this program. I made a thread a couple days ago but it's not working. Leave one here. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I'm applying here for fall 2009 =)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea im Thinking about it also!! Does anyone know how many the accept or any other details?

I think their class is around 120 people.

hey just wondering if applying now (jan) since i wont have my MCAT score until feb is too late. or if that holds true for applying to SMPs in general?

its not too late bc they accept applications until june 1st. i just took my GREs and won't have my MCAT scores til May and they said it was fine.

I applied to this program too!! I am going for a tour there this tuesday to see their campus, I live close by but have never been there before.

I applied to this program too!! I am going for a tour there this tuesday to see their campus, I live close by but have never been there before.

tell me how it goes! i'm too far away to visit

Hey! I visited UMDNJ's Stratford Campus today, I had a great visit! The campus is really nice, it seems like a great program, very flexible to plan out what classes you want to take and such. If any one has any questions about the campus let me know :)

Hey! I visited UMDNJ's Stratford Campus today, I had a great visit! The campus is really nice, it seems like a great program, very flexible to plan out what classes you want to take and such. If any one has any questions about the campus let me know :)
i toured the campus too this summer..my own thing though lol..and it was nice..are you planning to apply for this Fall? And if so, where else are you applying to??

i toured the campus too this summer..my own thing though lol..and it was nice..are you planning to apply for this Fall? And if so, where else are you applying to??

Hey! Yes I applied there for this Fall 2009, I also applied to Georgetown University's CAM program, Boston University, PCOM, and Mt. Sinai. I may also apply to Columbia's Master's program in Biotech. Are you submitting GRE's or MCATs? I submitted GRE's since I'm not planning on taking the MCAT until this summer.

do u know if newark does tours?

Members don't see this ad :)
did u guys send out your applications yet?

i sent mine on 12/10

Hey! Yes I applied there for this Fall 2009, I also applied to Georgetown University's CAM program, Boston University, PCOM, and Mt. Sinai. I may also apply to Columbia's Master's program in Biotech. Are you submitting GRE's or MCATs? I submitted GRE's since I'm not planning on taking the MCAT until this summer.

I was going to take them but the advisors told me not to and just take my GRE. I am trying to figure out other places to apply.

I plan on applying as well, hope to have everything out by this week just need to get transcripts sent. Glad to hear you guys though the campus was nice.

So wait you guys are applying really early for Fall 2009..I was planning on waiting until after spring semesters grades to apply..I hope that won't work against me..does anyone know?
Also if there are any students out there that completed the program can you possibly give us some information about it, i.e. the classes, the professors, medical/dental schools it helped you get into
The basic 411!! Appreciate it!

i second that! i heard the umdnj masters at newark/stratford isnt really a smp..did this help anyone get into medschool?

I heard the program is getting pretty competitive and their deadline date is June 1st. Depending on when your semester ends, it would probably be in your best interest to apply now and then update them with your new grades once your spring semester is over. Also I know of a few students (MD/DO) and 1 DMD student who used these postbac programs to get them into UMDNJ-SOM, NJMS, and NJDS.

Hey I got accepted to the UMDNJ Stratford Biomed program :) They have rolling admissions so the earlier you get your info in the better! And I submitted GREs instead of MCATs and that was fine.

Hey I got accepted to the UMDNJ Stratford Biomed program :) They have rolling admissions so the earlier you get your info in the better! And I submitted GREs instead of MCATs and that was fine.

congratulations!! :love: quick question, what was the amount of time b/t your app being submitted and the acceptance letter??

I am going to send in my application with my GREs and grades pending..hopefully it doesnt go against me..

congrats :love:! how were ur gres, if u dont mind me asking. i applied to the other campus. i wonder if its different.

Thanks! I applied the middle of December and heard back the middle of January so it was about a month turn around time. My GREs were ~1000 with my math score being significiantly higher than verbal and I got a 5 on the writing section.

Thanks! I applied the middle of December and heard back the middle of January so it was about a month turn around time. My GREs were ~1000 with my math score being significiantly higher than verbal and I got a 5 on the writing section.

awesome thanks for replying. i must be good then. :) i applied to newark so i hope its not more competitive than that. i just called right now and found out that my application is complete. However, they have to review PhD apps first so they won't review the Masters program until "sometime in February." Lucky you! Congrats again!

Last edited:
I hope we hear good news in February/March, UMDNJ is my #1 choice.

hey everyone!! can someone please post the link for their website where I can access their application??? I really appreciate all your help!!!

thank you! :)

sweet didnt know they had an online application, thanks!

did u only apply to stratford?

Yes I was going to apply to Newark too, but Stratford is really close to my house so if I end up going there I could commute and save a lot of $$$, and I wasn't crazy about going to school in the city of Newark.

Yes I was going to apply to Newark too, but Stratford is really close to my house so if I end up going there I could commute and save a lot of $$$, and I wasn't crazy about going to school in the city of Newark.

o ok. i have a lot of friends in newark so i just decided to go there. plus i wanna get an MD and i heard that stratford is geared for the DO they have there? not sure.

plus i wanna get an MD and i heard that stratford is geared for the DO they have there? not sure.

nah thats not true. Medical students at NJMS told me that the program in Stratford is really good to get into both MD and DO. I also know that there were students in the program that got into all NJ medical schools.

Hi,

I'm little confused.
So for UMDNJ there are two campuses, Newark and Stratford?

Are they two totally different programs or just the same (with same faculty members or not)??

and do they have different applications?

Thanks.

Hi,

I'm little confused.
So for UMDNJ there are two campuses, Newark and Stratford?

Are they two totally different programs or just the same (with same faculty members or not)??

and do they have different applications?

Thanks.

I guess from the previous response the programs are the same. The locations are different--one in Newark (north Jersey) and one in Stratford (south Jersey). The faculty is obviously different as well. They have the same application service (the link is somewhere up top) but on the application, indicate which campus you want. If you want to apply to both, you can send another application (same link) again to the other campus.

Thank you much.

Actually, I skipped some posts in the middle pages. oopss.

sorry.

just sent my application in. newark is my #1 choice since that campus has the dental school, but would also applying to stratford hurt my chances of an acceptance at newark?

What was ur gre score and undergrad Gpa if u do not mind sharing

Hey guys,

I applied to the Newark and Stratford programs for the Masters in Biomedical Science. I recently received a series of rejection letters from the medical schools I applied to this summer, so I am a little paranoid about being rejected from these programs too. I was wondering if anyone had any stats on admissions.

I'm at Rutgers University, bio major, Spanish minor, 3.66 gpa and 28Q MCAT. I was wondering if anyone could speculate on my chances of getting in. I am retaking the MCATs this summer because I bombed the verbal section.

Thanks you guys, feel free to pm me too.

Hey guys,

I applied to the Newark and Stratford programs for the Masters in Biomedical Science. I recently received a series of rejection letters from the medical schools I applied to this summer, so I am a little paranoid about being rejected from these programs too. I was wondering if anyone had any stats on admissions.

I'm at Rutgers University, bio major, Spanish minor, 3.66 gpa and 28Q MCAT. I was wondering if anyone could speculate on my chances of getting in. I am retaking the MCATs this summer because I bombed the verbal section.

ur in most likely. GPA is high and mcat is really high for this program

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it.

Does anyone know about how long their decision making period is on considering applicants?

Does anyone know about how long their decision making period is on considering applicants?

newark is reviewing completed applications by the end of this month/early march. it is rolling admissions so just get your stuff in right away. stratford is rolling admissions too but they do it right away. if you want more info, PM me.

Hey guys,

Rutgers, YAY!! me too...lol :D

jxc is right, both programs are rolling admissions. I submitted my application in without my GRE scores and the Newark program sent me a letter letting me know what was missing from my app (i wanna say about a week and a half later) ..whereas Stratford didnt but i called them and they told me that they received my app. Once you turn everything in, you should hear something soon about your status...everyone else who applied..how fast was the turn around date for acceptance/rejection/etc??

I'm a student in the GSBS right now at the Newark campus and just came across this post. Out of all the post-bac programs out there right now this is probably one of the best programs and considerably cheaper than Tufts or Georgetown. The professors are great and very helpful. The only downside is that it is in Newark but if you can get past that then you will enjoy your time here. If you guys got any questions about the program I'd be happy to answer them for you.

Hey,

I was wondering what was your undergrad gpa and MCAT or GRE score? if you don't mind sharing

Also what courses are you taking there?

hey triumph i see that ur a pre-dental student..was wondering how many students got to take the 2 dental school courses? does it look bad if u aren't allowed to take them and what do those students do who can't take them? how many get into umdnj-njds or other dental schools? faculty support/guidance? anything else that would be help would be appreciated. thanks for taking time and answering!!