UMDNJ - NJMS class of 2011!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know what specific immunizations are required to attend school? I've got my yearly physical coming up and want to make sure that gets taken care of while I still have decent insurance. I'm assuming Tetnus, some sort of hepatitis, and a TB screen are necessary, but anything else like MMR booster or something exotic I don't know about? Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know what specific immunizations are required to attend school? I've got my yearly physical coming up and want to make sure that gets taken care of while I still have decent insurance. I'm assuming Tetnus, some sort of hepatitis, and a TB screen are necessary, but anything else like MMR booster or something exotic I don't know about? Thanks...

If you are planning on dorming they probably will require Meningitis vaccine. Hep B is definite must, it's a series of 3 shots. And as far as MMR booster and others, just get a titer test to see if you need it.

Even if someone recounted all 3-4 pages of immunization info that NJMS requires I'd still take their word with a grain of salt. They are (rightfully so) incredibly anal about immunizations. Odds are you'll need some random titer or some documentation from a vaccination that occurred decades ago. I would contact student health and get try to get the forms ahead of time if you haven't gotten them already. They require your doctor to fill in the vaccination info directly on their forms anyway, so it's better that you just get two birds with one stone and bring the stuff to your physical.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even if someone recounted all 3-4 pages of immunization info that NJMS requires I'd still take their word with a grain of salt. They are (rightfully so) incredibly anal about immunizations. Odds are you'll need some random titer or some documentation from a vaccination that occurred decades ago. I would contact student health and get try to get the forms ahead of time if you haven't gotten them already. They require your doctor to fill in the vaccination info directly on their forms anyway, so it's better that you just get two birds with one stone and bring the stuff to your physical.

Thanks, ChuckRock! I haven't received the forms yet, but I will call and have them sent. Good idea! :)

It depends on how old you are, and what kind of financial aid you are applying for. Certain low-interest government loan programs for financially disadvantaged people require your parent's information no matter how old you are, or how long you have been financially independent. If you are just applying for regular student loans you have to be born after a certain cut-off date to not have to give your parent's information as well. I have a feeling that it is all spelled out on the financial aid web-site where it explains what the different pots of money are for, and what the criteria for receiving them are.

Okay...I talked with Financial aid and they said I could personally use my parents income to qualify for loans as part of institutional aid.

HOWEVER, I am 24 and not listed as a dependent by either parent. Do I need to include my parent's income in my FAFSA?

Okay...I talked with Financial aid and they said I could personally use my parents income to qualify for loans as part of institutional aid.

HOWEVER, I am 24 and not listed as a dependent by either parent. Do I need to include my parent's income in my FAFSA?

I was told that including parental income would not affect my award. It could however open up a few other sources of funds. Who knows, I inlcuded it on my fafsa.

I was told that including parental income would not affect my award. It could however open up a few other sources of funds. Who knows, I inlcuded it on my fafsa.
I've been told so many different things, its scary. From what I understand, if your parents don't make a LOT of money, then it won't hurt to put them on. Also, like hopster said, it can open up a few other sources of funds. Not sure if you've heard, but Bush is trying to cut a lot of the Title VII health education funds, and I was told by a fin aid rep at NJMS that we may not even have access to Perkins Loans, because that may be cut by the gov too. Great!!!!!!!!!

Another question - I'm trying to fill out the housing application, but they ask for a student ID. We don't have one yet, so what do we put there?

My parent's recently got an invitation to a Parent's day. Does anyone know what's this about?

My parent's recently got an invitation to a Parent's day. Does anyone know what's this about?

parents day is very interesting...its an information session and tour for the parents...students not allowed. my rents went and they loved it.

Dr. Heinrich told us about the Parent's Day back at the accepted student's luncheon. My mom is working at University Hospital taht day and is going to try to switch her schedule to make it, but my dad's goin.

FYI everyone... I just got off the phone with the admissions office, asking about the immunization thing. They told me that there will be a package of matriculation information sent out this week or early next, part of which will be the forms to fill out for what shots you'll need. Some of them have to be returned before April 27th, so it might be a good idea to make appointments with your doctor for the end of March- mid April. :)

i'm so confused. i have no idea whether or not to put my parents information on it. i went to the UMDNJ finacial aid website and it doesn't say anything about requiring parent's information. maybe i'm not looking in the correct place.
so if they don't require it, should i add my parents information if their income isn't low?

i'm so confused. i have no idea whether or not to put my parents information on it. i went to the UMDNJ finacial aid website and it doesn't say anything about requiring parent's information. maybe i'm not looking in the correct place.
so if they don't require it, should i add my parents information if their income isn't low?

I had the same concerns as you. Unfortunately I think we do have to report it regardless. The following is copy/pasted from the FAFSA Help section:

Health Profession students must provide parents' information. Although your parents' information is required on your application, your parents' signature is not required.

If you do not know whether your course of study is a health profession program, contact the schools financial aid office

Members don't see this ad :)
I had the same concerns as you. Unfortunately I think we do have to report it regardless. The following is copy/pasted from the FAFSA Help section:

Health Profession students must provide parents' information. Although your parents' information is required on your application, your parents' signature is not required.

If you do not know whether your course of study is a health profession program, contact the schools financial aid office

I echo those sentiments exactly. It's a big pain in the ass, but we've made it this far...might as well continue doing it the hard way. :rolleyes:

Yeah, same here. Well, hopefully I'll get some aid when I start in August.
On a good note, I got my MCAT score today: 39 T (first attempt). Hopefully that would help out in some way.

I called the financial aid office a few times, and they said that they do not require parental information. If you do not include it in your FAFSA, you may be disqualified from need-based aid, but if your parents aren't poor, you are disqualified anyway. I chose not to include it.

I called the financial aid office a few times, and they said that they do not require parental information. If you do not include it in your FAFSA, you may be disqualified from need-based aid, but if your parents aren't poor, you are disqualified anyway. I chose not to include it.

I pretty much heard the same thing, but my original question to the office really wasn't answered: at what point does putting your parents income information hurt you? Will it hurt your financial aid package if you put them on and you are not considered to be in need? What is the cut-off?

On a good note, I got my MCAT score today: 39 T (first attempt). Hopefully that would help out in some way.

You already got accepted to NJMS and just got your score back? Hows that work? Did you do accelerated B.S/M.D.?

Yes, I am in the BA/MD program.

Okay, I've got a pretty unique (possibly stupid) question for all you current NJMS students.

I'm a hard core New Jersey Devils fan, and starting next year they will be playing in Newark (convenient!). I would love to get season tickets, but I'm worried if I will have the time. Obviously I've heard a ton about how much work med school is, so I was just wondering if you guys think season tickets could be feasible. FYI, that would be 41 games from October through April.

Absolutely impossible? Possible, depending on my work habits? Not a problem?

Okay, I've got a pretty unique (possibly stupid) question for all you current NJMS students.

I'm a hard core New Jersey Devils fan, and starting next year they will be playing in Newark (convenient!). I would love to get season tickets

I'm a devils fan too, how much do season tix go for?

I'm a devils fan too, how much do season tix go for?
The cheapest will be $10 per seat, so $410 for the season. Pretty good, if you ask me. If you want to see the arena layout and all the different pricing levels, there's a thread on a hockey message board where someone scanned in all the info from the brochure the season ticket holders just got. Looks like it will be sweet!

Does anyone know of some important events (and respective dates) before medical school starts that the entering students must/should attend. I'm planning on going overseas and don't want any serious conflicts.

yay for more Devils fans!

I'm a huge devils fan myself. I think that an occasional game is definitely feasible, but to go to every game during first year is expecting a lot.

I also kind of doubt the stadium will be finished by this fall. It was still in a skeleton form last time I looked at it.

so how many of your parents are going to the family day? i'm a little weirded out that my mom seems to be way more excited about the day than i ever was about our little luncheon. i'm just hoping she gets SO excited that maybe she will pay for my tuition... lol (fat chance of that happening)

so how many of your parents are going to the family day? i'm a little weirded out that my mom seems to be way more excited about the day than i ever was about our little luncheon. i'm just hoping she gets SO excited that maybe she will pay for my tuition... lol (fat chance of that happening)

haha... yea, after they told us about it at the luncheon, I mentioned it to my dad, and he was buggin' the hell outta me to get more info... He's never missed an open house of mine dating back to kindergarten. He's crazy excited about it too.

yay for more Devils fans!

I'm a huge devils fan myself. I think that an occasional game is definitely feasible, but to go to every game during first year is expecting a lot.

I also kind of doubt the stadium will be finished by this fall. It was still in a skeleton form last time I looked at it.
It's nice to know there's more Devils fans out here - since I go to school in Virginia I don't see too many other fans.

Do you think it would be possible for me to go to, say, 20 games (or more)? If so, I might just get season tickets and sell the ones I can't go to.

My parents haven't even mentioned it to me - I wonder if they got the letter. I'm a little nervous about my mom going, since she's not too thrilled with the idea of me going to school in Newark.

It's nice to know there's more Devils fans out here - since I go to school in Virginia I don't see too many other fans.

Do you think it would be possible for me to go to, say, 20 games (or more)? If so, I might just get season tickets and sell the ones I can't go to.

1st year is a lot harder than college. I know that myself and most people I know would not have had time for 20 hockey games during first year... but if you plan to share with friends, etc... you'd probably be ok.

[/QUOTE] My parents haven't even mentioned it to me - I wonder if they got the letter. I'm a little nervous about my mom going, since she's not too thrilled with the idea of me going to school in Newark.[/QUOTE]

I think that parents day is a great event. My parents didnt' go two years ago, but I was a tour guide for parents day last year. The parents I toured with had a great time and talking to students currently residing in Newark definitely alleviated some of their worries I think. I'd definitely recommend any parents who are reading this to go. :)

1st year is a lot harder than college. I know that myself and most people I know would not have had time for 20 hockey games during first year... but if you plan to share with friends, etc... you'd probably be ok.

I think that parents day is a great event. My parents didnt' go two years ago, but I was a tour guide for parents day last year. The parents I toured with had a great time and talking to students currently residing in Newark definitely alleviated some of their worries I think. I'd definitely recommend any parents who are reading this to go. :)

You know, I thought about something kind of funny yesterday. On Parent's Day, since they are giving tours, are they going to show our parents the gross anatomy lab? haha, because if they did, I think my parents might faint.

You know, I thought about something kind of funny yesterday. On Parent's Day, since they are giving tours, are they going to show our parents the gross anatomy lab? haha, because if they did, I think my parents might faint.

The tour is the same tour the students get pretty much. The anatomy lab is included but those who don't want to go in don't have to. It is a student-run tour where the parents can ask all the questions they have of student volunteers.

Hey Hydrogen,
Congrats on the great MCAT score;).
I'm sure you'll probably have the highest MCAT in the entering class. I hope I'm in your anatomy group :laugh:
Great Job!!!

When is family day? I just talked to my mom and asked her about it, and she said they haven't got any information on it.

When is family day? I just talked to my mom and asked her about it, and she said they haven't got any information on it.

I think parent's day is on March 17th -- my mum got an invitation a couple of weeks ago. I know someone else who didn't receive one, but called admissions and everything was sorted out.

I think parent's day is on March 17th -- my mum got an invitation a couple of weeks ago. I know someone else who didn't receive one, but called admissions and everything was sorted out.
Thanks, I guess I had better give them a call.

Also, when is our FAFSA due?

Thanks, I guess I had better give them a call.

Also, when is our FAFSA due?

I don't know... I'm still waiting on my parents to finish their tax returns.

Yeah...me too! I'm thinking of just submitting w/o them if they don't get it in soon!

my parents finished their taxes on monday, so I just have to my taxes when I am home for break next week, and I'll be sending mine in... Not sure when the deadline is, but I definitely think it would be a good idea to get it in within the next few weeks... They kind of made a slightly big deal about getting it in on time during the luncheon

does anyone know if we can take out more than what the total student expense budget is? I was considering using some of the loan money to put as a down payment for a mortgage on a condo.

From what I understand, you are only allowed to borrow from the government up to the ammount that is published as the "cost of attending" for your particular school (it varies from school to school, and from year to year). Thus, the maximum ammount you could borrow as a 1st year at UMDNJ is in the neighborhood of $40K. That is assuming that you'd qualify to borrow the maximum. There are also exceptions to this for things like childcare expenses and stuff, but you have to write a letter requesting more, and the reasons for it.

I'm not sure about the rules for private lenders.

And today begins my last "real" Spring Break :( I will enjoy it while it lasts.

Page two?

Say it ain't so.

What's your status NJMS people? I still haven't finished FAFSA. :(

for those of you whose parents went to parents day, was it worth it?

If my parents want to attend they have to cut their vacation short. They were going to drive up friday night but with this crazy weather they're going to have to drive up now in order to avoid the storm.

should i tell them not to bother?

Page two?

Say it ain't so.

What's your status NJMS people? I still haven't finished FAFSA. :(

I just finished mine today. I'm now way bummy. My "Expected Family Contribution" is WAY more money than I can afford (no other "family" to help me out...just little ole me). I hope I can get some private loans to cover the difference...or maybe some school-based aid. I'm not holding my breath for that, though. From what I understand that's few and far between, and I'm not much of a minority! :oops: Hopefully I'll be able to scrape enough together when the time comes for the basic necessities! Anyone looking for a roomie? I promise not to bounce the rent check!:)

for those of you whose parents went to parents day, was it worth it?

If my parents want to attend they have to cut their vacation short. They were going to drive up friday night but with this crazy weather they're going to have to drive up now in order to avoid the storm.

should i tell them not to bother?

I don't think it will be that big of an event. The entering class is still not fully decided.... I think the only thing I'm going "try" to bother my parents about is the White Coat ceremony and graduation :rolleyes:

On that, is the event still on for tomorrow? - the weather's not the best.

anyone have the list yet?

The official list has not been posted, but a friend at the school gave me the following notable matches (RWJ match has been listed in the pre-allo forum):
Dermatology at MGH (Harvard)
Orthopedic Surgery at USC
General Surgery at Stanford, Brown and a few other respected schools
Anesthesia at Yale, NYU and Beth Israel Deaconess (Harvard)
Radiation Oncology at MD Anderson
Pediatrics at CHOP
Neurosurgery at NJMS and Thomas Jefferson U
Emergency Medicine at U Penn.
Psychiatry at (one of the) Harvard (programs).

The official list has not been posted, but a friend at the school gave me the following notable matches (RWJ match has been listed in the pre-allo forum):
Dermatology at MGH (Harvard)
Orthopedic Surgery at USC
General Surgery at Stanford, Brown and a few other respected schools
Anesthesia at Yale, NYU and Beth Israel Deaconess (Harvard)
Radiation Oncology at MD Anderson
Pediatrics at CHOP
Neurosurgery at NJMS and Thomas Jefferson U
Emergency Medicine at U Penn.
Psychiatry at (one of the) Harvard (programs).

Looks good...it will be nice to see the entire list! Its not posted on the web-site yet, though.

It was a VERY impressive list. I was there during the celebration (eating free cake lol) and they had the list on the wall