UMDNJ vs. Georgetown/George Mason G2SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CalBear1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I decided very late that I wanted to apply to a post-bacc/master's program, so most of the deadlines had already passed. I go accepted into the UMDNJ Program at Newark and the Georgetown/George Mason G2SMP program. The G2SMP program is new, but it is much smaller than the UMDNJ program. I will apply to medical school right before starting the master's program. I am from CA and I know the UMDNJ prefers in-state residents. Any suggestions for which program is better?

Members don't see this ad.

How confident are you in your ability to succeed at Gtown? I think that's one of the most important things to consider, though it might be hard to know. The GT SMPs are graded curved against the med students - you have to be in the top 10 to 15 percent of the med school class to get an A. Yikes. I honored med school classes at UMDNJ Newark..........along with like 30 to 40% of the med school class (anyone who gets over 90% gets honors). If you get B+'s or B's at GT you're impressing nobody and the SMP might not help you (it might even hurt you).

There is a flip side to this, of course. Lots of people do well GPA-wise at UMDNJ so it won't distinguish you as much, though I would say it shows your competence in the basic sciences and eliminates that as a 'reason you couldn't succeed in med school' if your undergrad science grades aren't up to par. If you do well at GT i'm sure it would be much more impressive and it may open up avenues at more schools.

When you say you're applying right before starting the program - I hope you're not waiting until late August to submit everything for your app. What I would do if I was in your situation: apply as early as possible, get a 4.0 the fall semester in whichever program you choose, and write update letters at the end of that semester so that your SMP actually enhances your application in some way.

I will turn in my AMCAS application this upcoming week. My problem with UMDNJ program is that not many students get accepted to medical school right after finishing the program. I think that the Georgetown program produces more medical school acceptances than UMDNJ.

I graduated from UC Berkeley two years ago with a 3.4 GPA, and I think (and hope) that I will be able to do well in Georgetown. Do you know people who went to the Georgetown program and had trouble getting good grades, or if the SMP actually hurt their chances of getting into medical school?

My problem with UMDNJ program is that not many students get accepted to medical school right after finishing the program. I think that the Georgetown program produces more medical school acceptances than UMDNJ.

Though UMDNJ doesn't put out official numbers, that's probably true. I imagine a lot of it is selection bias though. Admissions into UMDNJ GSBS is not very rigorous compared to the gtown program. Also, a lot of the people in GSBS are aiming for dental school (with a good rate of getting in), and some for PhD programs or other intentions. You get an MS if you do the thesis, MBS without. The program directors host pharmaceutical industry employers and post lab job offerings for those who are interested in going into research after graduating.

Do you know people who went to the Georgetown program and had trouble getting good grades, or if the SMP actually hurt their chances of getting into medical school?

Yes, haha I actually do actually have a college friend who went on to get B's/B+'s in the Gtown program and has had serious issues getting in since (second or third cycle now, trying to get off a waitlist or going to SGU). But being impartial - don't let one story affect your decision so much. There are a lot of people who do the Gtown programs on this board (i think?) so you could definitely get more advice about the difficulty of being successful from them.