UMDNJ...where to live?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johnson22

johnsons22
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm from the west coast so I have no idea about where to live in New Jersey. I will be married so I need a reasonably nice place to stay. Anyone have any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Johnson22 said:
I'm from the west coast so I have no idea about where to live in New Jersey. I will be married so I need a reasonably nice place to stay. Anyone have any ideas?

I need a place to live also, anyone have any suggestions?? thankssss

Johnson22 said:

I'm a dental student in UMDNJ and I have been living in this area for a long time. I would definately recommend that you look for a place in the towns around Newark, specially if you are going to have a family. Most of the students live in Bloofield, Nutley, Clifton, or Montclair. Montclair is more expensive but the other three are a little more affordable for a Dental student. Bloomfield would probably be your best shot. They are all about 20 minutes from school, but with the traffic it can take longer.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
As of right now, it looks like I am going to be attending UMDNJ... I started looking at some apts online. How is Elizabeth NJ? I know that Newark is regarded as a "not so wonderful" area...do any UMDNJ students live in Newark? I contacted some people about the apts that I saw online and they said that I shouldn't start asking about them until May/June...because they won't know about lease renewals until then. What do you guys think of that?
I will be moving to NJ on my own.. so am looking for a 1 bedroom or studio.
Thanks,
Chris

I would put Elizabeth in the same category as Newark. Take Dollhouse's advice and look in Bloomfield, Nutley, Clifton, or Montclair. Although I attend UNC i grew up in NJ and considered going to UMDNJ.

the commute in from manhattan isn't bad either if u take the train