UMDNJSOM Class of 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ussdfiant

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling that this topic will not get many hits, but I hope that I am wrong. I will be attending UMD in the fall and was wondering if any of my future classmates are out there and as excited as I am! WOOHOO!!!! Also, are there any current UMD students out there who can offer up any sage advice? Good housing near campus (I know it's way early), etc?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you from the area USS?

I am local to UMDNJSOM. So if you have questions about the area, I can answer those. I ride the high speed line every day right from across the street from the medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wish,

I currently live in NE Philly and am anticipating a move in June/July. Do you know if there are individuals that rent apartments (as opposed to apartment complexes) in that general area? What range of rent could I expect?

Thanks

USS,

There is alot of opportunity for housing around the area. There are people who rent apartments over their garages and along those lines, but I am not entirely sure how available or cost efficient they are.

I know a typical single occupant apartment runs around $450.00-$500.00 a month in that general area and there are numerous complexes. I am assuming you have a car, so that broadens your selection to a 10-15 minute radius. In that range you should have no trouble finding a place to live.

Just as a tidbit that I don't know if you know, but there is a YMCA right up the street from UMDNJSOM as well that the medical students are able to use, and if memory serves me it even has a pool. It is a pretty nice area, and the level of crime is pretty low. It's pretty "safe". You wouldn't have to worry about walking outside at night.

Kennedy is ranked really high among hospital systems now. That's another bonus to the school you have picked.

USS... Feel proud of your accomplishment. UMDNJSOM is one of the most difficult osteopathic schools to get accepted into, and one may be the most difficult for an out of state applicant. It's a very good school.

There aren't many downsides, but I will share what I know. They have a general purpose room that serves as a makeshift OMM lab, banquet room, and even a basketball court. From what I understand, they do not put much emphasis on OMM. There are a few diehard OMM instructors there, but it isn't stressed in the curriculum the way it is at some of the other schools. I consider it a small down side, but it may not make much difference in the grand scheme of things.

Anything else I can answer?

Originally posted by ussdfiant:
•Wish,

I currently live in NE Philly and am anticipating a move in June/July. Do you know if there are individuals that rent apartments (as opposed to apartment complexes) in that general area? What range of rent could I expect?

Thanks•••

Just thought I would bump this up to the front page and see if any of my classmates are here. Does anyone know when orientation is?

Hello, I'm also a student for the class of 2006 in UMDNJSOM. I also love this so much that I didn't hesistate a bit...except with NYCOM for a while. I'm definitely attending next year but somewhat stressed over changing my residential status for tuition. I'm from NY and going to NJ for housing in May or June of next year. Just dropping few lines to let you guys know that this school is one of the most qualified schools around if not the best. My feelings of excitement seems to be subsided a little after getting the acceptance letter over 3-4 months and more compromises with time to kill until I start school which will be gosh...another 8-9 months.

Well I guess I should call you Mr. DO! Congrats on your acceptance and I am glad that at least one of my future classmates is on this board. I, too, am nervous about changing my residency but the difference in the tuition is like 10K. Stratford, here I come! Now, what to do with myself until summer! Are you going to take the 5 week summer school?

I will see you all next year too. I got accepted in october to SOM and it was no question. Dr. Wallace rocks right?!?! As for apartments, i have heard echlon glen and the village are the best. you want to stay on the voorhees side of the tracks...we should start like an email list going or something so we will all know each other by the time school starts. :p

I have to say that I'm glad that this thread is picking up steam! Congrats on your acceptance Doc. I have to say that I am geographically challanged, where is Voorhees in relation to campus?

This is sooo great! I just got a notice of my interview yesterday, which is great considering that I JUST mailed out my secondary app. I'm interviewing later on this month, and I'm already excited! I've heard so many great things about this school, and the fact that rent is not too expensive is not that bad, either. Originally, I thought I'd be less thrilled about going to a DO school. But now, even though my MD app process is still going OK, I know that I would be thrilled if I ended up at Stratford! I hope to come back and post a reply in a few weeks, and get to know everyone better. I have no doubts that scholastically, this school is great. I just hope that everyone still likes having fun. Congrats to all you lucky ones already set for the next year. Also, wouldn't you rather travel/go to the beach/read a fabulous novel, rather than starting four years of hard work a summer early? just a thought....

Good luck with the interview Crazed, I'm sure it will go great! It is really laid back. I am itching to start school and this summer is as good a time as any. I haven't had a true summer vacation since I was an undergrad (1994) and so I won't miss it. My job is killing me and I am counting the days until July!

Are you going to take the 5 week summer school?
••

5 wk summer school? What is that? Can someone give me more info :)

Members don't see this ad :)
In the weeks prior to classes there is a 5 week series of classes to prep those students (like me) who do not come from a science background. I believe the classes cover biochem, histo, etc. I have sketchy details at best because I have not received anything formal. Dr. Wallace did suggest that I participate, however.

Hope that helps.

Voorhees is 5 minutes from the school. Most of my friends there now live there. I am hoping in july to move down there finally and have a month to chill and get to know the area better. I wish i was there now. I wish you could start in the spring semester. i just graduated and all i am doing is working full time.

Hi guys:

I am a prospective applicant to UMDNJ-SOM and would like to get advice from some of you who have all ready gotten in. Would any of you be willing to answer some of my questions?

Laavp

In the weeks prior to classes there is a 5 week series of classes to prep those students (like me) who do not come from a science background. I believe the classes cover biochem, histo, etc. I have sketchy details at best because I have not received anything formal. Dr. Wallace did suggest that I participate, however.
Hope that helps.
••

Thank's for the reply, that did help.

ussdiffiant:
what about the school most appealed to you?
How are the rotations for the school in the 3rd and 4th years?

Well, since I have yet to start my first year I can't speak about rotations, but I can tell you the very practical things about the school that appealed to me.

1)Class size. I only applied to 2 schools, UMDNJ and PCOM. PCOM's typical first year class size is over 3 times the size of UMDNJ. At UMDNJ the classes are taught in what I consider to be normal sized classrooms, PCOM's lectures are taught in HUGE ampitheater-like lecture halls. Some people like that environment, but as I was a history major as an undergrad, I like the student-faculty ratio at UMDNJ (more individualized attention IMHO). I also went to a large university as an undergrad (Penn) and have had it with lecture halls so big that the prof needs a mic and you can only see them on a TV screen.

2)Cost. Again, with only 2 schools in the running, PCOM's tuition is almost twice what I will pay as a future NJ resident (with a little scholarship $$ included). Plus I can take advantage of in state tuition in my FIRST year.

Those are a few reasons off the top of my head. Can any of my classmates add anything?

Does anyone know when orientation is? ••

According to the catalog, orientation started for the past two uears on the last sunday in July. July 29 in 2001 and July 30 in 2000. That's the white coat ceremony. Hope this helps. :D :D :cool: :cool:

Me again, i have some more questions about the 5 week summer program. ussdfiant, i know you only know sketchy details, but i was wondering if anyone else knew about it.
Questions:
1. Do you have to apply for it?
2. How much does it cost?
3. Is it all day during the summer
4. Is it limited to non science, in terms of "hard" science majors, or can "soft" science majors take it too. Like pyschology. (I never took histology) hehe that rhymes ;)
btw, i should have said this earlier, but better late than never. congrats to you all. :D :D :D

I don't know anything about the summer program but i do know that Dr. Wallace has all the answers to those things and it is best to call him. Also, as for rotations in your 3rd and 4th year. Every school has decent 3rd year and in your 4th you have electives and you can go anywhere you want. you could go to china if you so desired. hope that helps

Applicant2002-

I will no doubt regret shooting off my mouth when I can't quite remember all the facts... but that's never stopped me before.

The five week summer program is open to all entering students, and is recommended for non-trads and people who don't have strong science backgrounds. It's meant to bring these people a bit of a head start, and to get them back in the study mode after a few years out of the classroom. I'm pretty sure that it's free, and I don't think that the classes run all day (but I could definitely be wrong about that). I glanced through the projected schedule two years ago, and I remember seeing fun activities like volleyball (if you like volleyball- I personally don't :) ) also blocked out.

I didn't attend the program myself, but I've been told that it didn't really make much of a difference either way. It may lighten your load (slightly) for the first exam, but that's really it. I suppose it's the equivalent of having taken biochem before entering med school- you may have a bit of a head start, but everyone catches up to you within the first few weeks, and it doesn't seem to affect final grades at all. It does give you the chance to meet your classmates (and some MSII TAs), and that might be worth it, especially if you're going to be in the area anyway.

Also, I haven't heard many complaints about rotations and the like... but I'm still an MSII, and I definitely don't have all the information about the third and fourth years yet. (Also, I've heard that the administration is planning on changing things, so I _really_ don't what's going on. Maybe I'll know more in a few months. Maybe. :) )

In general, I like SOM a lot. Most of the professors are very good (with a few fantastic ones), most of the students are very friendly, and I feel that I'm getting a good education. (But it would be nice to have a classroom with windows...)

If anyone has any questions (especially regarding first and second year), I'd be happy to try and answer them.

Bests,
Paige

Cornell University '00
UMDNJ-SOM '04

Naraku
You are a MS II at SOM..you must know some of my friends Gil and Oliver and Diane. gil was my kaplan teacher and diane was my genetics ta at rutgers

Congratulations to all! it's good to finally see the class of 2006 emerge...I too will be attending umdnjsom in august. To add to ussdfiant's response: I agree that cost and class size are particularly appealing about the school.
UMDNJSOM is also known for it's superb faculty, no class rank, and outstanding passing rates on the boards. I've also heard that the local area is a great place to live. These are the reasons I chose the school.
Good luck
ramsy

What are the best reasonably priced apartments in the UMDNJ area? Thanks for all your help.

:)

Does anyone have any experience with Millbridge apts (on Blackwood/Clementon rd.) and/or Woodmere apts (506 S. White Horse Pike) or Robin Hill in Vorhees? If so, please share. Thank you for all your replies, your thoughtfulness and kindness are greatly appreciated.

I know of classmates who have lived and these places and have had problems. There's definately nicer places around. People seem to be happy with Echelon Glen, although it's a little more.

I've heard excellent things about Village Bridge- it's very close to campus, and the apartments are _gorgeous_. (I'd live there if I could.) The Village is also popular, but I've heard mixed reviews, and it's quite expensive, also.

There's a housing fair held during the reception for accepted students in March. Most of the apartment complexes in the area send representatives, and some even take groups of students for quick tours of the apartments. They also give away some free stuff, and offer incentives to sign with them (first month free, and the like), so don't worry about finding a place to live right now... there's plenty of time yet.

Bests,
Paige

Cornell University '00
UMDNJ-SOM '04

Thanks for the info Paige. I was also curious about housing. For those in the C/O 2006 who don't know already, the reception that Paige mentioned is Friday April 5.

I think I should be there since I'm not from that area. Plus, I'm being paranoid about changing residential status, housing contract and financial aids/loan problems. I think I'll most likely be there if they could me with those. Do you guys know if they, the house reps would be ready to make the housing contracts by then, APril 5 while we are there?

I'm probably gonna be there too

Mr. MD or DO-

Trust me- they will _definitely_ be ready to make the housing contracts by then. When I was there, they were practically (although politely) pushing pens in my face and begging me to sign- and this was in early March. Don't feel pressured to make an immediate committment, though... check out all of your options before signing anything. The most important thing is to talk to the current students and find out about their housing arrangements. (My own housing is a little strange, so I'm not much use here.)

Bests,
Paige

Cornell University '00
UMDNJ-SOM '04

I am excited that others are going i was afraid that i would go and be the only one. I have been talking to a realitor and she seems to think April is a good month to find housing. So how is everyone doing? It hasn't become real to me yet. I don't know if that sounds stupid or what but it all still seems unreal.

I agree that it seems dreamlike. I mean I have my acceptance letter posted at work so I can glance over at it and remind myself that I really did get accepted and only have a few more months at my job. I suppose it will be "really" real when we start getting financial aid stuff and stuff for us as the class of 2006. I am really excited to attend our first "official" function as a class and meet everyone.

Wow! I just noticed they added a lot more new Graemalins. :clap:
Anyways, I know what you all mean by it seeming unreal. whenever i remember all the hard work it took to get to this point, that's when i feel it's real. but sometimes, it does seem dreamlike, everything seems easier when you look back-don't you agree. I feel that you all deserve to be where you are. We all worked really hard, and throughout the application process, we even had to defend our very desires to become doctors.

I have another question regarding housing. I have very little experience regarding apartments, so I need all the help I can get. What do it mean when you say problems with apartments like Woodmere? They don't fix broken things, or what?

Paige, thanks for taking the time for all your help and information. I really appreciated it. Thank you :) :D :clap: :D :)

I think i'd have to disagree with you Paige about village bridge. Yes, the apartments are nice, on the inside, but for the money you can do much better. I know this because i used to live there. Not only is it expensive, but you can never get maintainance over unless you call a half dozen times. Plus it's not the safest place in the world...my apartment was broken into while i was gone. However, there are other people there who love it. I guess it depends where you are in the complex. I just know i would never recommend it. As for Woodmere, i seem to remember something about a flooding problem there last year, plus have you ever seen the place?? Robin hill seemed nice, if you can get in there....there's a long waiting list. There's others that live at fountain view and seem to like it.

Thanks to all for the replies about the apartments.

I have a few more questions. All responses are greatly appreciated.

Does anybody have any personal experience with Woodmere? Have they resolved the flooding problem? ALso, the reason i was considering it is because they said over the phone that it was within walking distance to UMDNJ. How bad does it look? How livable do you think it is for a student? Do they fix problems immediately?

ONce again, thank you for all your replies.

:rolleyes: Could someone please tell me what kind of crazy name is UMDNJSOM? What a mouthfull!! :rolleyes:

I would say that the fact that I would have to write and say "UMDNJSOM" over and over throughout my lifetime on applications, in conversation, see it written on transcripts, diplomas, etc. would keep me from attending UMDNJSOM!! :rolleyes:

Hi I'm John Doe, DO, OB/GYNE and I graduated from UMDNJSOM. :)

What a pain in the butt! :rolleyes:

Practicing DO's refer to it as "S-O-M," to make life a bit easier.

Congrats to all who have been accepted to the class of 2006. I have an interview today at SOM and I'm a little nervous because it is my first interview. Good luck to all and I hope to be a classmate.

Slice,

Congrats on your interview from a former West Philly resident. Don't sweat it (although by the time you read this your interview will be over). It's really relaxed and I had a great time of it.

Good luck.

I think the interview went great, it was relaxed and very positive. I felt really good coming out of there.

How long after the interview did it take to recieve the acceptance letter?

The commitee meets on the 3rd Tuesday of the month. I interviewed on 11/6 and my acceptance letter is dated 11/26.

SliceOheaven,

Congrats on your interview, and good luck, and best wishes. I'm sure you did fine. :D

To those asking: UMDNJSOM=University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey School Of Osteopathic Medicine

Also, out of curiosity, On many posts in the boards, I've seen the abbreviation IMHO, what does IMHO mean?

:)