UMDNJSOM Class of 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi WUAS,

I am glad I am not the only local. I seem to be the snooty one telling people where NOT to live.
I remember you mentioning an interview with LECOM ..did you go? If yes, how was it? I drove to my interveiw in Erie and found out just how big Pennsylvania is!!! It was a nice drive though. Any idea where you'll be attending this fall?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have experience with Korman Suites at Cherrywood. (located in Gloucester Township Clementon)

feedback will be greately appreciated. :clap:

WUAS,
yes.

BTW, do you know how Korman Suites at Cherrywood looks? How you ever seen it?

Have any of you all purchased white coats? Does it matter if it is short or long? I've thought i heard somewhere that the short is the student coat. Does that mean we should only buy short ones? (i like the long ones)

I've been looking at some other threads, and I'm starting to wonder if we need to start buying equipment-like stethecopes(i'm not sure about spelling).

:clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey WUAS,

The committee met the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. No call on Tuesday, none on Wednesday, closed Thursday thru Sunday. I called Dr. Wallace on Monday morning and found out the good news.

Applicant,

I have purchased a short white coat. The only reason is that I am a big guy and am positive that the school would not be able to provide one that fits. Otherwise I assume that the school would be providing short coats for the first year class. I also believe that it is the short coat that we will be wearing. The long coat is for residents and up. As far as equipment goes, I am not purchasing anything until school starts. I also want to see what deals I can get from any reps that may visit the school during orientation.

Hi,
I am beginning to get excited...I can't wait until school starts. Work sucks. My parents think I'm going to medical school to avoid having a full-time job.
I am 98% sure I am coming to umdnj but for some reason I am still holding on to a PCOM acceptance.

WUAS-Dean Wallace called my house the day the commitee met, he left a message to call him back but then he left town. A few days later I received the packet in the mail.

Speaking of phone calls.... I received a phone call from umd about April 5th. Who is going? What is the appropiate attire (girl question)?
I hope we don't need to buy a coat for fall.

I feel the same way. I hate work. I want to start school. I am looking forward to april 5th becuase then i think it will seem so much more real. that i really am in medical school :clap:
I dont know what to wear either. I mean i doubt its business attire but who knows. does anyone else have a suggestion?
The white coat ceremony, as far as i know, gives us our white coat so we dont buy one. i think we get fitted for them. I know that's how some schools do it. :) :)
I let pcom go because i liked the idea of being in a smaller school.
i just wish school would start. Work is killing me. i just keep counting down the days. but i swear it takes forever.
oh well see you all soon.
maybe we could all try to meet somewhere in the moring before 845 on april 5th. i don't know if thats too weird for anyone but it might be nice. we could get coffee or something.
well have a good week everyone
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Hey ! Which UMDNJ campus will you be attending ? I'm waitlisted at NJMS ( my first choice ) . I also contacted you because I'm Pennsylvania Class of 1997 .

Hey ! Which UMDNJ campus will you be attending ? I'm waitlisted at NJMS ( my first choice ) . I also contacted you because I'm Pennsylvania Class of 1997 .

Applicant2002-

Don't worry about buying any medical equipment just yet. You won't need anything right away, and the reps come by the school every now and then with pretty good deals. Also, as has been mentioned upthread, we get (short) white coats the day of the White Coat Ceremony. They also give us little name tags, but mine disappeared a few months ago. I really need to find it...

Paige

Cornell University '00
UMDNJ-SOM '04

Hey guys,

I am looking forward to the reception, school, and the rest of my life, now more than ever.

Today I was driving from central Pennsylvania from my girlfriend's house back to Philly, where I go to college. I was driving down a two lane road at a moderate speed b/c the road was slushy and Icey from snow and freezing rain. Everything was going OK, until I felt my car to start to veer off to the right side of the road, I must have hit some black ice. I tried to gain control and steer my way out the spin. I couldn't gain control and my car spun across the middle of the road and thru the lane for oncoming traffic. Luckily no oncoming cars were in the vicinity! My car continued to slide across the opposite side of the road and down an enbankment into a lake next to the road. As soon as my car slammed into the lake I unbuckled my seat belt, unlocked the door and pushed the door open. I stood up at the edge of the car as it sank and pushed off as hard as I could leeping toward the shore. I made to the shore only being soaked from the cold water up to my thighs. I looked back as my car steadily sank to the bottom of the lake. I moved the enbankment and waved arms to signal cars to stop for help. A bunch of cars stopped, the people called for help, and made sure I was ok. I thank God I made it out without a scratch and that people really care enough to stop and help.

I am sure my car must be totaled, but I am sure it will all work out with my insurance. It feels so great to be healthy and alive. I'm still a little shaken. Events like this make life seem a little brighter.

Anyway good luck to all, and hope to see you all soon in good health.

SliceOheaven-

After that experience, block week will be a breeze. I'm glad you made it through in one piece! As you've already noticed, there are many, many worse things than a wrecked car.

Paige

Cornell University '00
UMDNJ-SOM '04

sliceOheaven, glad that you're safe. That must have been quite an experience.

thanks to everyone for responding to my questions.
:clap:

I read that during orientation week, there are pretests that are given. What do they cover? ALso, does anyone know where I can get a good map of the area (maybe on the internet or somewhere)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-tests? I don't remember any of those, but I might have blocked the experience from my mind. All I remember from orientation are lots of panel discussions, informational meetings, and entirely too much free pizza. (It gets boring after a while.)

I do know that a few (_very_ few) students with advanced degrees placed out of a class or two- there were at least two of my classmates who placed out of gross and TA'ed it instead. Is that what you're thinking of? If that's the case, I think you have to arrange it with the administration and the course director.

Paige

Cornell University '00
UMDNJ-SOM '04

I was just wondering how many people plan on attending the summer session in june. Does anyone know what it will cover?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by girldr:
•I was just wondering how many people plan on attending the summer session in june. Does anyone know what it will cover?•••••<a href="http://www.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=002275&p=" target="_blank">Click here</a> for a post that I put up in February. Hope that helps.

hey everyone. :) hope you all have a good weekend. 15 days till accpeted students reception. :clap: I am the only one really excited? :D i hope not. :wink: talk to you all soon. :clap:

Ooops...that was suppose to be " am i " not " i am " the only one excited. oops! sorry

hello future classmates from umdnj-som '06!!!
i was so excited to see so many of you here. i don't know anyone else that will be starting classes with us in the fall so i was semi-petrified of april 5th!! maybe we can all meet up somewhere before the reception?

Does anyone happen to know the schedule of activities on the 5th?

I think the first half of the day is meeting everyone.... students/ faculty/ head people and financial aid issues will be discussed. The second part will be about living arrangements.

I spoke with someone from admissions and she said it will be a 'casual dress' event.

I plan on bringing my significant other with me on 4/5. She has been a part of my med school prep since I decided to do a post bac. And as she will be moving with me I feel that the housing portion of the day should be attended by both of us. Is anyone else bringing a spouse/SO?

Are we allowed to bring our SO? It makes perfect sense, especially during the housing portion.

How old are you USS? (if I can ask)
I am 28, not married yet, but have been living with my BF/fiance for 3 years.
I am just curious to see how many older, 'settled' students we have in our class.

I am 31. I don't know if we are "allowed" to bring our SOs, but she is coming with me. A good deal of that day will include info that directly affects us both, and I think that she should hear such information firsthand and ask any questions (especially about housing, spouses, etc) that she may have.

Hey,
Sorry I haven't responded recently but i have been having computer problems. :( i spoke to one of my friends at som and he said people bring family, friends and sig others to the recpetion. That way you have a little support. :wink: I think my best friend is coming with me so i don't have make the trip alone and she is my best friend. She is probably going to nj med but she wanted to come. She thought it would be fun. Anyway hopefully we wwill all meet and can start getting to know each other. :clap: That way making the adjustment in august will be easier. Well see you all in 12 days.
:clap: :clap:

What the hell is this "tori is a goddess" crap. I think you've lost your mind.

Tori is ass ugly!!!!!!!

I have been trying to find information about umd match rates for this year. I've been to the sites, given on sdn, but don't understand what I'm reading. I've been to the home page and it's always under construction.
Does anyone know how som did this year with the residency match????

•••quote:•••Originally posted by smedly:
•What the hell is this "tori is a goddess" crap. I think you've lost your mind.

Tori is ass ugly!!!!!!!•••••What the hell did Tori (or me for that matter) ever do to you?

Tori has disgusted me. It makes me ill to look at her bulgy eyes.
Your entitled to like her...... if you must.

Anyway, I guess congratulations are in order on your Temple interview. Good luck!!

For some reason, I assumed you were one of those die hard 'DO or bust' types.
You would take it if they accepted you, right?????

I wish you the best of luck.

Give "Tori is a goddess" a break Smedly!!! He should be able to make his own decisions on where he interviews without your approval. Lets try to keep this thread as positive as it has been so far. I look forward to meeting all of you on the 5th!!!!

Hey community,

I don't know what you thought you were reading when you read my post!!!!

I sincerely meant congrats and good luck. Temple is a great school. I applied and didn't get an interview. If I was invited to interview there and then accepted......I would MOST definitely go there.

As for the tori spelling crap...I think she is ugly....he thinks she's not...no major argument. I was simply teasing his choice of chick.

So why don't you back off me, community.

Sorry smedly. I guess I'm not "down" with who Tori is. Don't take it personally.

You know what...I'm not even sure he's talking about Tori Spelling. I hope he is.
I'd look like an ass if Tori turns out to be his wife, wouldn't I? :oops:

People, people, let's keep it friendly. Yes, I have an unnatural and unhealthy lust for Tori Spelling. I find her irresistable and would have loved for her to have been my Donna and me her David, but that's another story. I don't know if I'm "DO or bust" but initially I did only complete secondaries for DO schools. This Temple thing came out of nowhere last month (with no secondary) so when I was offered the interview I said "Hells yes", completed their secondary and paid my $55. Thanks for the luck smedly, Wednesday's the day!

Is there anyone who will NOT be attending the event on April 5th??

I really want to go but I have a freakin exam that day.

Hi KKam,

I told the school I'd be there but now I'm having trouble getting off from work, so I don't know yet. I actually just got (about 2 hrs ago) a phone call from umdnj, Audrey a MSII, called to see if I had any questions. I asked about the board pass rates and res match results. She said the past few years som has falling from the #1 pass rate spot but never fell below #3. (still good) She also said the match results are always good. We can get detailed info by calling the school and speaking to someone named liz.
I just thought I'd pass the information along. :)

Hey guys.
:)
Hope you all have a good holiday ( for those of you who celebrate it)
:)
And, yea :clap: , we get to meet in a week. :clap:
See you soon.

Hello everyone,

I have been accepted to UMDNJ SOM, and probably will be attending. See everyone at the orientation!

Best Regards to all.

Happy Easter and Passover everyone.

See you all in 5 days.

So, were you all impressed with SOM yesterday? I really enjoyed the day. It helped me to decide that SOM is really where I belong. I will be withdrawing all of my other acceptances this week. I think that what impressed me the most was the faculty, as well as the diversity at the school. They really went out of their way to make us feel welcome. Also, the fact that they knew my name when I picked up my application packet made me feel good as well. Anyway, I look forward to getting to know all of you over the next couple of years!!!!

I agree. :) I feel that no other medical school compares. :) And our class is awesome. :clap: Everyone is so nice and i look forward to working together and getting to know everybody. Good luck to everyone in the next couple of months and i'll see you on august 4th. :clap: Hey and remember we all made it!!! :clap: :clap:

Have any of you guys found housing yet? Is anyone interested in renting a house in the area with 4 or 5 students instead of living in an apartment complex? I missed the accepted students day and I can't believe school starts in 4 months!! Looking forward to meeting everybody!!!!!

I'm sorry to say that this will be my last post on this thread. I'm also sorry to say that I won't be joining you guys in Stratford. I was recently accepted to Temple and have decided to attend. I do hope that my withdrawal will help a waitlisted SDNer (WUAS!).

Has anyone found housing?? Where are good places to live???

Even though I am not going to attend UMDNJ-SOM, I thought that I would bump this bad boy up for the poster that was asking about the page for the class of 2006.

wow just to think I know a whole lot of people in the class of 2006.

How are things at temple defiant?