Umich for Undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LemonSqueezer

Reaction score
Hi guys. Would you guys recommend that I go to Umich for my undergrad or another state school for my undegrad? I dont know how hard the classes at Umich are or if there is any grade deflation. Please let me know your thoughts

Members don't see this ad.

You might find this table, Undergraduate Institutions Supplying 50 or More Applicants to U.S. MD-Granting Medical Schools, 2021-2022, by the AAMC interesting. University of Michigan is a massive medical feeder school. I was not able to find a similar table of matriculant data, which might be more useful for your inquiry but I feel the applicant data suffices to paint a general picture.

More tables here.

Have no comment on grade inflation or deflation since I matriculated elsewhere.

Hi guys. Would you guys recommend that I go to Umich for my undergrad or another state school for my undegrad? I dont know how hard the classes at Umich are or if there is any grade deflation. Please let me know your thoughts
Go to Michigan State. You'll get all the science preparation you need for the MCAT and medical school. Furthermore, the average ACT score at Michigan is now a mind blowing 33 while the average at MSU is 26. Why would you want to face the UM competition? For generations Ann Arbor has been a dumpster of failed premeds and it's going to get worse. Furthermore, because MSU is stellar in the life sciences you would have lots of research opportunities at MSU. If you want a more scholarly environment at MSU, go to the Lyman Briggs honors college. The East Lansing campus is beautiful in the fall and spring, and MSU is a great social scene.

Finally, MSU has two medical schools with a total of 440 first year seats. Those two medical schools will be happy to accept an MSU undergraduate with good grades and a good MCAT score.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users