Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone, I’m in the very fortunate but difficult position of choosing between NYU and UMich. I’ve received full tuition scholarship at both schools, so any difference in cost is not a factor. Very torn because I would like to match into internal med and ultimately live on the East Coast, but I think UMich edges out NYU in terms of program and prestige. I’d love to hear your thoughts!
UMich
Pros:
Cons:
NYU
Pros:
Cons:
UMich
Pros:
- One year preclinical
- Everyone is super friendly and enthusiastic about the school
- Early and abundant clinical exposure
- Prestige of top-ten med school
Cons:
- Far from family
- Students live in separate housing (which I would think makes it harder to meet up with people, than if everyone lived in one building)
- Large class size (170)
- AA is not the most exciting place to live
- From what I understand, 3rd year is free for students to pursue a project of their choice – with so little structure, I feel like this year could be a bit of a waste of time?
- Not many graduates match into East Coast schools for residency
NYU
Pros:
- Bellevue is awesome
- Housing is in a great area and is pretty affordable
- Smaller class size (120)
- Just invested a ton of money into building new research facilities
- Students seem happy, with NYU sponsoring social events all the time
- Close to family
Cons:
- Not as prestigious as UMich (and rumor has it NYU’s rank will drop over the next few years)
- I didn’t get the impression that it is as academically rigorous as UMich