1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

UMinn Supplement

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by jhanago, Aug 15, 2011.

1. jhanago

2+ Year Member

This is what the supplement asks

If accepted into the DDS program, how will you contribute to the University of Minnesota School of Dentistry and to the profession of dentistry? Please also include your contribution to diversity in this essay. Please limit your comments to 6000 characters.

Would I be okay talking about how I grew up in a diverse area and in a area with crime and bad education or am i not understanding the prompt? Should I talk about how I will BRING diversity to minn? like recruiting ethnic patients or something? im not fully understanding the prompt any help?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jhanago

2+ Year Member

any quick ideas or examples of what you wrote about

4. amalgamgrillz

Removed 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    It's essentially asking you what makes you/your situation unique, and how will your life experiences benefit the class. If you think growing up in a high crime/bad education (I don't know how you would judge that) area has made you who you are, then sure..go for it. Just make sure you can contribute something positive to the class with that experience.

5. jhanago

2+ Year Member

Hmm.. thanks. that helps.

Anybody got any examples of what they wrote?

6. lululime

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I wrote about my unique volunteer experiences and about my family background being diverse and all.

7. TXistheReason

TXistheReason Ultimate Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Yeah I think that would be good. Since 6,000 characters is pretty long, it gives you the opportunity to talk about multiple ways that you can contribute to the "diversity" (broadly defined) of the university. They give you a whole list of different things to choose from to show your diversity like unique volunteer experiences, etc, so I think it'd be good to pick a few things you've done that fall under those categories.

8. jhanago

2+ Year Member

yeah but the problem is i dont really see how that contributes to the class. like ME being diverse as a student or me BRINGING diversity as a separate phenomenon? Unique volunteer just seems like "What makes you a unique applicant"? Is that what they're going for?

9. chippy

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Ya I touched on each of those "things that make you diverse" from that list they gave. A lot of it was repeating from my PS, but anything that I repeated I made sure to explain how it makes me unique or different from other applicants.

10. TXistheReason

TXistheReason Ultimate Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Well I think in this case it can mean diversity in the sense of a strong background in a variety of volunteer, EC, dental, and whatever else type experiences. It's not necessarily diversity in terms of "In what ways are you not male, middle class, and white?"

11. amalgamgrillz

Removed 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I think they view those things as synonymous. If you've traveled, been abused, founded an NGO, are married with kids, etc..those make you who you are, and will likely contribute your unique experiences to the class.

12. lululime

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    She's right. Just look at what you got and put a positive spin on it. If you've not experienced anything, you haven't lived. Show adcoms what you've got out of 20+ years of living.