Umsl

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SubieGuy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here been accepted to UMSL? I've not heard much talk about the school. I've been accepted since December but I'm still waiting on some other schools. Just thought I'd see if I could get in touch with some possible future classmates.

Members don't see this ad.

YES! I was in the first group of interviews at UMSL this year. Are you for sure going there next year?

At this point, yes. I'm still waiting to hear from NECO about my final status. I've been watching the blackboard site and the e-mail about the incoming class but I'm still kind of seeing what's out there. Did you interview at many other places?

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't interview or apply anywhere else. I came to UMSL for Optometry School. Period.

I've got to admire that! Do you live close or did you hear that they are very reputable for optometry? I'm more familiar with more of the east coast schools considering that's more of where I'm from.

PreOptMegs said:
I didn't interview or apply anywhere else. I came to UMSL for Optometry School. Period.

Your confidence in the school is comforting since I have also accepted a seat there. I was curious if you know the pass/fail rate on parts II and III of the NBEO???

I'll be attending UMSL next year, too. I'm looking forward to the class mixer in June. I hope to see you all there...

Do any of you plan to live on campus in the apartments? My wife and I are uncertain about how safe the nearby neighborhoods are. I am really leaning towards UMSL and would appreciate ANYTHING good that someone might have to offer.

Eye 05 said:
Do any of you plan to live on campus in the apartments? My wife and I are uncertain about how safe the nearby neighborhoods are. I am really leaning towards UMSL and would appreciate ANYTHING good that someone might have to offer.

Yeah I wouldn't live around the school at UMSL, since its all ghetto. I've lived in Ballwin area, and now live in St. Charles. I would pick either Maryland Heights, St. Charles, or St. Peters. Those are all nice areas and not too far from the school.

Ryan_eyeball said:
Yeah I wouldn't live around the school at UMSL, since its all ghetto. I've lived in Ballwin area, and now live in St. Charles. I would pick either Maryland Heights, St. Charles, or St. Peters. Those are all nice areas and not too far from the school.

I appreciate the input. How far are these places from the school, Driving time/miles??

Eye 05 said:
I appreciate the input. How far are these places from the school, Driving time/miles??

We're looking to purchase a place for our family to live in. We're looking in Florissant, Ferguson, Maryland Heights, Ballwin, and St. Ann. All appear to be within 15-20 minutes of the school (according to Google Earth/Google Maps)...

rkl_OD2be said:
We're looking to purchase a place for our family to live in. We're looking in Florissant, Ferguson, Maryland Heights, Ballwin, and St. Ann. All appear to be within 15-20 minutes of the school (according to Google Earth/Google Maps)...

Florissant is upper north st. louis...some parts are ok, some parts are pretty rough (more minority area). Maryland Heights is a good area, about 10-15 mins from campus. Ballwin is a very very nice area of St. Louis. Since I used to live there I know its pretty pricey, but can take usually 25-35 mins to get to campus. Umm St. Ann is probably the closest area to the school, but I wouldn't there, pretty rough areas. I guess any area is fine if your comfortable in your surroundings.

St. Charles is about 15-20 mins from campus and is a nice area, and so is St. Peters. I wouldn't live much more west of St. Peters even though O'fallon and the Wentzville areas are nice, it gets to be such a long drive every day. A lot of rotations in your 4th year in stl are downtown. And gas prices suck right now.

I am in my 2nd year at UMSL and it's also the only place I applied. I think Megs came for the 3+4 program (?), but I didn't know I wanted to do optometry when I started undergrad, and I still put all my eggs in one basket. :) I'm not positive what the pass rate for NBEO parts II and III, but I imagine it's quite good because the national average is quite good. From what I gather (correct me if I'm wrong), part I is what gets people, and our average was well above the national average this last year (now the pressure is on my class to keep an upward trend going! :eek: )

Anyway, as far as housing, I would agree with most of the suggestions already given. As far as living on campus, that's not something you want to do if you're married, at least as far as I'm concerned. It's definitely geared toward unmarried students. They have little bedrooms with room for a twin bed, etc. Plus, I think rent is per person, not per unit.

Here are some areas I would look at: Florissant, Maryland Heights, University City (some areas are pricey, but there are some very reasonable apartments), Olivette, Hazelwood, St. Charles, St. Peters. You can look at some places in Bridgeton and Ferguson, but some of those areas can be kind of sketchy.

Areas that are close but I would avoid: St. Ann, St. John, anything that begins with "Bel"... :)

I live in an area kind of between Maryland Heights and Overland...it's safe, it's cheap (relatively speaking--I pay $495 for a 1-br apartment; 2-br units in this complex are $570 or something now)...it's not a shiny place to live, but it's pretty centrally located, which is nice.

If I had it to do again, I'd live here:
French Quarter in Hazelwood

Hope this helps. :)