This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

briannapenny

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I just made an account and am new to this but i really want to find more information on the
National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM)
College of Veterinary Medicine. I am currently in my third year of undergrad. Considering attending one of the two vet schools in california or the one in oregon or unam. I have a lot of questions and would like to speak to someone who attends unam so they can hopefully help me out. I have dual citizenship and am fluent in spanish (although it is my second language and might still be challenging for me since i just know it from speaking with family, i don’t know proper grammar). I am wondering how the application process works. How should i prepare for the exam? what are my chances of getting in, especially since i do not live in mexico? how difficult is the program? I will be going to mexico in december to check out the school, would i be able to speak to someone at the school when i go, like and advisor? if i graduate december of 2019 when should i apply to attend the in august of 2020?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Unfortunately you're unlikely to find anyone who attended or is attending UNAM here...maybe there is someone lurking around, but if you don't get any replies you can try searching for previous threads about UNAM. There have been several though I think the most recent is a couple years old at this point. I would think the best resource would be contacting the school!

Unfortunately you're unlikely to find anyone who attended or is attending UNAM here...maybe there is someone lurking around, but if you don't get any replies you can try searching for previous threads about UNAM. There have been several though I think the most recent is a couple years old at this point. I would think the best resource would be contacting the school!
Ooh i see, thank you for that information, i wouldn’t have known since i am new to this. i will do that!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. I don't attend UNAM but I do attend UVM, which is a veterinary school that is also in México City. I have been to UNAM several times for veterinary conferences. From what I understand, you have to take an entrance exam that is only offered certain times of the year. It is difficult because I know several dedicated students at my school that have taken it and did not pass. They do have books that you can buy to prepare. I don't think any veterinary school will be easy. I study twice as much because English is my native language but so far I have straight A's. I pretty much have no social life. Most of the professors at my school also teach at UNAM but if you can get into UNAM it would be better because the school is practically free if you have citizenship and it's also accredited by the AVMA.
hello! i am starting to realize how difficult it is to get in to unam as i look more into them. i was in nayarit last month and asked if i could transfer from their vet school to unam and they said yes but they also need an entrance exam and i think it’s the same exam as unam but the school is nayarit is less competitive. i did start to look into uvm also. are you us citizen who plans to come back to the us to work when you finish school? how do you get into uvm? is there no entrance exam? is entrance guaranteed if you have the money. i have so many questions sorry,

Hi. I don't attend UNAM but I do attend UVM, which is a veterinary school that is also in México City. I have been to UNAM several times for veterinary conferences. From what I understand, you have to take an entrance exam that is only offered certain times of the year. It is difficult because I know several dedicated students at my school that have taken it and did not pass. They do have books that you can buy to prepare. I don't think any veterinary school will be easy. I study twice as much because English is my native language but so far I have straight A's. I pretty much have no social life. Most of the professors at my school also teach at UNAM but if you can get into UNAM it would be better because the school is practically free if you have citizenship and it's also accredited by the AVMA.
if you ever
If you are ever on here again please send me an email, i have some questions and i would really appreciate your help.
pasita97
and it’s yahoo
Thank you.