UNC Fall 2018 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmdreamer14

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to start a thread for people applying for admission to UNC (Chapel Hill or Asheville) beginning in Fall 2018. Feel free to post stats or anything else that is relevant. UNC is probably my #1 and I really hope to get in.

Here are some of my stats:

Overall GPA: 3.61
PCAT Composite: 93%
Almost a year of Pharmacy Assistant experience and shadowing in a retail setting.
Hopefully enough to get me an interview. Curious to see what other people have.

Members don't see this ad.

Overall GPA: Around 3.5
PCAT composite: 97%
200+ hours of volunteering at a hospital. 160 of those hours were volunteering at the outpatient pharmacy.
Been working as a pharm tech at a retail pharmacy for a year now.
600+ hours in a biochemistry lab, with one published research article.

I am hoping to get an interview too lol.

Overall GPA: Around 3.5
PCAT composite: 97%
200+ hours of volunteering at a hospital. 160 of those hours were volunteering at the outpatient pharmacy.
Been working as a pharm tech at a retail pharmacy for a year now.
600+ hours in a biochemistry lab, with one published research article.

I am hoping to get an interview too lol.
Wow! I'm sure you'll have no problem. Even if you had a low GPA and PCAT all that experience would probably get you in most places.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha we'll see. I don't want to jinx myself. Good luck to you though!

PCAT composite score: 89
I graduated college in 2013 with a BS in Psychology with GPA around 3.7. I didn't apply straight out of college because I thought I wanted to go to grad school for PhD, but then after few family/personal and shadowing experiences I decided to go with pharmacy instead. That being said, I don't have much pharmacy experience besides shadowing (retail, clinical and clinical trial pharmacists). My EC after college is not that impressive either: just leadership positions in some clubs and honor society in college. I work full time and take night classes for prereqs so it's hard to find extra time for EC. I think I'll have good LORs from my boss (Harvard Med School prof), chem prof (chemist for a pharmaceutical company) and a former mentor who is a professor at UNC now. Not sure if their credentials matter, but networking never hurts right?
I work full time as lab manager/research assistant, and have 5 publications and 2 in preparation. My #1 choice would be UNC, then MUSC (Charleston). But honestly, I'd go anywhere accept me. Do you think I'd stand a chance with UNC? My main concern is the lack of pharmacy experience and EC.

Last edited:
I think ure pretty competitive. It's not like you have zero experience. Your gpa and pcat scores are competitive too. Plus your 5 publications is a big accomplishment.

PCAT composite score: 89
I graduated college in 2013 with a BS in Psychology with GPA around 3.5. I didn't apply straight out of college because I thought I wanted to go to grad school for PhD, but then after few family/personal and shadowing experiences I decided to go with pharmacy instead. That being said, I don't have much pharmacy experience besides shadowing (retail, clinical and clinical trial pharmacists). My EC after college is not that impressive either: just leadership positions in some clubs and honor society in college. I work full time and take night classes for prereqs so it's hard to find extra time for EC. I think I'll have good LORs from my boss (Harvard Med School prof), chem prof (chemist for a pharmaceutical company) and a former mentor who is a professor at UNC now. Not sure if their credentials matter, but networking never hurts right?
I work full time as lab manager/research assistant, and have 5 publications and 2 in preparation. My #1 choice would be UNC, then MUSC (Charleston). But honestly, I'd go anywhere accept me. Do you think I'd stand a chance with UNC? My main concern is the lack of pharmacy experience and EC.
From looking at some students that got accepted last year it seems like you're definitely qualified for getting an interview. I've barely got half the credentials you have and I'm really hoping for a chance.

Hi everyone! I'm so excited for pharmacy school, and am very eager to be able to talk to other in the same situation as me. I'm hoping for an interview :)

Overall GPA: 3.7
PCAT Comp: 98th percentile
Worked as pharm tech for ~600 hrs
Have been in a biochemistry lab for 2 semesters + 1 summer, with one publication in preparation

edit: spelling

did anyone get the supplemental application yet? my pharmcas was verified on 8/15, last evaluation received 8/19 and i still haven't heard anything

I am probably not helpful on this one but I submitted my app on 8/10 and haven't received any supplemental yet. But only 2 of my evaluators submitted their letters so far. So maybe that could be the reason for my delay. Maybe you can try calling the school.

Never mind scratch that. I just received my supplemental today even though I only have two letters submitted so far.

Members don't see this ad :)
Overall GPA: 3.40
PCAT Composite: 97%
I've worked in the pharmaceutical industry as a Clinical Research Associate for a few years. OOS.

Best of luck, y'all

Has anyone heard back from UNC yet?
I got the confirmation upon receiving the supp. app on Sept 19. If I'm not qualified for an interview, would they reject me right away or I would just never hear anything back?

According to their virtual fair today, they should be sending the first round of interview invites in about 2 weeks :)

Thanks for the info. I couldn't attend the virtual fair. Any other announcements that stood out?

Nothing really. A lot of people asked specific questions, but that was the only info about interviews besides the basic "How do MMI's work?". Oh, but they did say there is one interview day in Nov, one in Dec, one in Jan, and one in Feb.

I just got an interview for UNC too! :) (Asheville campus)
Chapel hill was my first choice though :( Does anyone know if it is possible to interview with Asheville but get on the alternate list for Chapel Hill?

Last edited:
I'm going to drop my interview spot at the chapel hill campus. Good luck to you guys.

Hello all,
Has anyone heard from UNC about an interview since the first wave (above)? I'm curious if they have filled up the November Candidate's Day and are waiting to send the second wave of invites out now for the December interviews.

Hi everyone, PY1 at UNC here. I want to be resource for you all if you need to ask about any questions applying, the interview process, current PY1 stats, or program-related topics. I was in your shoes at one point, so I understand what you're all going through. I wish you all the best of luck at the #1 pharmacy school!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, PY1 at UNC here. I want to be resource for you all if you need to ask about any questions applying, the interview process, current PY1 stats, or program-related topics. I was in your shoes at one point, so I understand what you're all going through. I wish you all the best of luck at the #1 pharmacy school!
Do you find it to be a competitive / unfriendly environment? That's my biggest fear lol

Do you find it to be a competitive / unfriendly environment? That's my biggest fear lol

It depends on the class cohort, but the consensus is that each class has been competitive for jobs and good residencies, but we're much more helpful with each other as opposed to undergrad. We are more more willing to share notes and advice, and also more encouraging of each other to do well. But be forewarned that UNC does a lot of annoying busy work, as do some other pharmacy schools.

Does UNC send out interviews in batches or one by one as they review applications?
Can a candidate receive interviews at both campuses or would you do a single interview for both combined?

Does UNC send out interviews in batches or one by one as they review applications?
Can a candidate receive interviews at both campuses or would you do a single interview for both combined?

UNC sends interviews in batches. There are 4 Candidate Days, so you will be assigned to one. You can only interview at the campus you chose on your application. You cannot switch. If you are accepted and would like to attend a different campus (you applied for Asheville, but now want to go to Chapel Hill), you must forfeit your acceptance at that campus and go on a waitlist.

UNC sends interviews in batches. There are 4 Candidate Days, so you will be assigned to one. You can only interview at the campus you chose on your application. You cannot switch. If you are accepted and would like to attend a different campus (you applied for Asheville, but now want to go to Chapel Hill), you must forfeit your acceptance at that campus and go on a waitlist.
If you forfeit your acceptance for a certain campus, will you automatically be put on the waitlist for the other? On my application I put that I prefer Chapel Hill but might consider Asheville but realized Asheville might not actually work for me. But, I was chosen to interview there. What would I do if given acceptance to Asheville?

If you forfeit your acceptance for a certain campus, will you automatically be put on the waitlist for the other? On my application I put that I prefer Chapel Hill but might consider Asheville but realized Asheville might not actually work for me. But, I was chosen to interview there. What would I do if given acceptance to Asheville?

No, you must contact the administrator from the pharmacy school telling them you want to change your campus preference. If you get accepted into Asheville campus but want to go back to Chapel Hill, you would have to give up your seat and hope for the best on the Chapel Hill waitlist. It's a gamble, but not impossible.

Has anyone received invitations for the December candidate day or know if the invites have been sent out?

Looking at last years posts on SDN it looks like some acceptances were sent out the Friday after the interview.
I'm really anxious too

Looking at last years posts on SDN it looks like some acceptances were sent out the Friday after the interview.
I'm really anxious too

My guess will be Monday- especially since Thanksgiving is coming up next week. My guess is that they'll wanna get them out before the holiday

My guess will be Monday- especially since Thanksgiving is coming up next week. My guess is that they'll wanna get them out before the holiday
Hey all, has anyone from the 10-Nov-17 candidate's day received an acceptance yet?

Hello everyone, I was also in the November 10th interview. I'm really hoping we find out today too. I'm actually a little anxious to know since it's been over a week already.

Hello everyone, I was also in the November 10th interview. I'm really hoping we find out today too. I'm actually a little anxious to know since it's been over a week already.
Doesn't look like we'll be finding out today, because idk how late they would wait to send the email.

Doesn't look like we'll be finding out today, because idk how late they would wait to send the email.

I know :( The suspense is killing me, especially cause I'm home on break and have so much free time to refresh my gmail!!

Hi all! I was just invited for a December 15th interview! :) So for those waiting to hear for that date, today may be the day and for those wondering if they will be in touch about an acceptance, it is a possibility because they are sending emails out this morning! :) Good luck to everyone! :)