UNC-Chapel Hill vs UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AsianNotBsian

Reaction score
Does anyone have any thoughts on UNC-Chapel Hill vs UCSF?

They’re my top two that I’m trying to start deciding between just in case, as I’ve been accepted to one and have an interview coming up with the other. I know some main differences I’ve seen are cost of living, rotation locations, and networking opportunities.

I’ve also seen comments about how much there is to do around the areas. I currently live in a major city and love it, but I’ve heard there isn’t as much to do outside of school around UNC than around UCSF. I haven’t been able to visit either area because of the pandemic, so I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on it.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

how long did it take back to hear from UNC.
I received an email that they rec sieved my applicaiton, I completed my supplemental applicaiton, and then I heard back saying that I may hear back between Now-April.

is this normal for UNC?

Does anyone have any thoughts on UNC-Chapel Hill vs UCSF?

They’re my top two that I’m trying to start deciding between just in case, as I’ve been accepted to one and have an interview coming up with the other. I know some main differences I’ve seen are cost of living, rotation locations, and networking opportunities.

I’ve also seen comments about how much there is to do around the areas. I currently live in a major city and love it, but I’ve heard there isn’t as much to do outside of school around UNC than around UCSF. I haven’t been able to visit either area because of the pandemic, so I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on it.
Hi! I’m so glad I found someone with the same situation that I am in! I am accepted in one and for the UCSF, I’ve finished the interview and waiting for the result.
I live in California. 1.5 hour drive to UCSF. I have lived in SF for a while. SF is the most wonderful city in its sunny days but those sunny days aren’t many! It’s mostly windy! And SF is definitely expensive for students! The program in ucsf is a 3-year program now! Which is great on one hand but also makes me think about experiences that I can have! There is NO gap for any sort of part-time job or internship! With ucsf, all of rotation sites will be California! That’s it!
I also went and visited Chapel hill! A very green college town! It was in pandemic so not many people were there actually! There is no big building except for those that are on campus! Greatly cheaper! I think after the pandemic, the town will be more alive since it’s a college town! The program is very well organized! Many links! You can have rotations even in foreign countries!
I really don’t know which one I’m gonna choose if I get admitted to ucsf! Let me know if you found something useful!

As someone who went to UNC I can verify that there is tons to do. Raleigh is also a short trip away so if you want something more adult that is also an option (museums, good bars, cool experiences etc.) I also came from a large city prior to pharmacy school and I always had something to do/things that were going on socially on the weekend either in chapel hill, carrboro, raleigh or in-between. It's not a boring place at all

In terms of choice what do you want to do? So do you want to prioritize a residency and do clinical or just focus on community? Honestly I'm biased but UNC for residency is going to be the best bet. Otherwise go where you are spending the least money if you just want a degree. Dunno about UCSF but at UNC you can get in-state tuition after your first year which will cut your tuition costs by 1/2.

Reactions: 1 user