Undecided, Asking for Letters of Rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sierranevadas

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in my last year of undergrad and I am undecided on whether I want to go into nursing or medicine. However, I still want to ask for letters of rec from my professors soon, while I still am in school and have direct contact with them. Since I wouldn't apply until the 2018 cycle, how should I keep my letters of rec for that long and how can I frame asking my professors to write a letter that is good for both nursing or medicine? Is it feasible to ask them to write a general letter and edit it later once I know which one I have decided?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You shouldn't ever have the letters. When you apply you'll enter their info into the application which will generate a letter request sent to them. They upload their letter directly to the application system. You can ask them now, but they won't actually send it until you're ready to apply.

You can use interfolio to store the letters for you, without you seeing them, and then they send them to AMCAS or schools. They have a small annual fee.

Have a sit-down with the professors you are asking or put the details in an email. Say that while you are still undecided as to a precise pathway, you are interested in a career in health care and will be advanced study in one of the health professions sometime down the road.

You can ask them to submit to interfolio and/or you can keep in touch with letters/emails every 6 months or so after graduation updating the professor on what you are doing and so forth and then ask for a letter in a year or two. I have seen letters such as these and they are good as the professor can reflect on how you were in class and how you have grown professionally over the years.

Reactions: 1 users