Undergrad Course Loads?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vaioman08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently an undergraduate and my adviser told me I need to have about 16 credit hours per semester with at least 2 hard sciences classes (such as Biochemistry and physics together). This doesn't seem right to me...:confused:

I was wondering what some of your schedules and class loads were like. Did you take multiple sciences at once? Or did you space them out one at a time?
Give me some ideas of how your undergrad class loads were. I'm confused on what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in a 6 year program but first year was Biology & Chemistry (the basics)
second year is Organic 1 & 2, coupled with Microbiology for a semester and Physics for a semester
Now while those weren't the only classes I took each semester, they were the core science classes each year
This is my schedule next fall
FALL.jpg

I'm currently an undergraduate and my adviser told me I need to have about 16 credit hours per semester with at least 2 hard sciences classes (such as Biochemistry and physics together). This doesn't seem right to me...:confused:

I was wondering what some of your schedules and class loads were like. Did you take multiple sciences at once? Or did you space them out one at a time?
Give me some ideas of how your undergrad class loads were. I'm confused on what to do.

That courseload is nothing out of extraordinary, in fact a lot of people have schedules more intense than this, taking 14-16 units of science classes. Taking 1-2 science + some GE's should not be a problem.

Members don't see this ad :)

Ya that is the norm, I switched to Prepharm at the end of my sophmore year so I was taking 3-4 science classes a term plus bac cores, it was tough but I knew the grades were very important so I buckled down and hit the ground running, it is all about time management. It will prepare you for pharmacy school. The main thing I found annoying was being in lab so much time each week but it was all worth it to finish prereqs fast! I still found plenty of time to party and hang with friends, almost every weekend. I did not work during school year much though.

Example term:
Biology
Organic Chemistry
Cell and molecular
economics
online sociology

That is a very average pre-pharm load. If you take a look at all of the pre-reqs, theres no way you'd get done in any decent amount of time if you tried to take a lighter course load. ahhh, 16 hour semesters, how I miss you.

14-16 is normal. I dual-enrolled in high school and took 15 every semester up until this one. Right now I only have organic 2, intro statistics and kayaking (5 week class). I have way too much free time
scared011.gif

I took 2 classes a semester (8 credit hours) for 2 years of my 5 year undergrad education haha and made some C's and I'm doing just fine in my 3rd year of pharmacy school.

I took 2 classes a semester (8 credit hours) for 2 years of my 5 year undergrad education haha and made some C's and I'm doing just fine in my 3rd year of pharmacy school.

that gives me hope. I only have 20 hours left on my undergrad degree plus Physics 2, Organic 2, biochem, maybe genetics. I don't want to take all these extra electives if I don't need them unless it will hurt me if I do not

talk to the advisor at the school you want to go to. The advisor at one school told me to take it easy, take 12 units/semester, get good grades and take it easy.

Another school wants to see 16+ units per semester with multiple hard sciences and labs to see if you can handle the workload.

Moved to pre-pharm as it's related to pharm school entry.

In response to the question though. I averaged 12-13 units/semester (As few as 6 units and as many as 16/semester). It took 7 years for my BS by the time you figured all the prereqs, GEs, electives, time constraints with home/work, etc. GPA is weighted much higher than how many units/semester you took. So just pace yourself.

Other than my first semester, I've always taken at least 16 credits a semester.

Actually, in Spring 2007 I had 17 credits, which were:

General Chem I: Retake - got a B+
General Chem II: Retake - had to withdraw like 3 weeks in because there was no way I could get to school at 8AM in the morning.
Organic Chem I: got a D
Physics: Got a C+
Pharmacy Orientation: Got an A.

Probably a mistake to have taken all those science courses together. Should have taken English instead of retaking General Chem, that way I would have probably done better in Organic and wouldn't have had to retake it.

Take a look at the course load of the pharmacy schools you want to get in to. Now you'll see why they want you to push yourself a little bit past regular full time. The last thing they want is someone who tanks their first year in the pharmacy program and gives up because the course load is too difficult.

I normally take from 2-3 bio major courses and 1 general ed class each quarter. For example, I took metabolic biochem, genetics, ecology, and calculus during fall quarter of last year. Last quarter, I took mammalian physiology, nutrition, endocrinology, drugs & behavior, and an interpersonal communication course.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks pretty normal to me... I took 4 science classes last semester + 2 non-science, this semester, 3 science classes + 2 non-science.

I think that is completely normal... if not a little too easy.

One semester I took

Physical Chemistry
Advanced Biochemistry
Calculus III
Analytical Chemistry
Plant Physiology
Biomedical Ethics

For a total of 19 semester credits.
Although that was a particular heavy semester, I usually took 2 hard sciences a math and other degree requirements (liberal arts classes). I never had less than 16 hours.

A courseload of ~14 units per quarter or ~18 units per semester is pretty normal to most students. I'd start off with a minimum number of units during the first quarter/semester in college in order to get used to the college level classes. I made sure I completed general chem, bio, and math during my first year, so I wouldn't be behind on my other classes that require those classes as prereqs such as ochem, physics, and other bio upper div classes.

I really miss those semesters with under 18 credit hours, but I think it really makes your application look better if the schools know you can do well while taking on a lot of classes. It's a good gauge of how well you'll handle the curriculum they are going to throw at you. My schedule for the Fall of 2007 was:

General Chemistry I
Organic Chemistry I & Lab
Anatomy & Physiology I & Lab
Calculus I
Physics I & Lab

TOTAL - 20 Credit Hours

For the Spring, I'm taking:

General Chemistry II & Lab
Organic Chemistry II & Lab
Anatomy & Physiology II & Lab
Physics II & Lab
Biology II & Lab

TOTAL - 24 Credit Hours

If you can handle more classes and do well, I really believe it makes you a stronger candidate. Of course, if you are supplementing this with work experience or extracurricular activities you can take fewer class loads and still be a strong applicant.

I really miss those semesters with under 18 credit hours, but I think it really makes your application look better if the schools know you can do well while taking on a lot of classes. It's a good gauge of how well you'll handle the curriculum they are going to throw at you. My schedule for the Fall of 2007 was:

General Chemistry I
Organic Chemistry I & Lab
Anatomy & Physiology I & Lab
Calculus I
Physics I & Lab

TOTAL - 20 Credit Hours

For the Spring, I'm taking:

General Chemistry II & Lab
Organic Chemistry II & Lab
Anatomy & Physiology II & Lab
Physics II & Lab
Biology II & Lab

TOTAL - 24 Credit Hours

If you can handle more classes and do well, I really believe it makes you a stronger candidate. Of course, if you are supplementing this with work experience or extracurricular activities you can take fewer class loads and still be a strong applicant.

how do you take general chemistry with organic chemistry? Isn't general chem a pre-req for organic chem? o_O? or physics with calculus (calculus as a prereq for physics)?

how do you take general chemistry with organic chemistry? Isn't general chem a pre-req for organic chem? o_O? or physics with calculus (calculus as a prereq for physics)?

Yes, normally those are pre-reqs for those classes, but I'm returning back to school to go into pharmacy; I already had a BBA and MBA. My plan was to fulfill all my remaining pre-pharm requirements in one year so I would be able to apply for admission for Fall 2008. I didn't want to have to sit out another year because I only had to take a couple classes, which would have likely been organic. The professors were kind enough to let me take the courses cuncurrently based upon academic history, strong science/math background, and ACT scores. Under normal circumstances, I would recommend taking the pre-reqs first; it was a challenge taking those 20 hours and studying for the PCAT last semester...LOL.

I went 17, 15, 14, 13... I just basically ran out of pre-reqs I needed and didn't feel the need to waste time on unimportant classes. I did take some upper level bio just to have a professor I liked again and get a better LOR from him. I had to take something to stay a "full time student" (12).

I was actually asked this question in an interview... "What was the highest number of credit hours you took in a semester and how did you do?" (this particular school does transcript blind interviews).

Yes, to be redundant, that is the norm. Last semester I had:
Physics I
Biochemistry
Microbiology
Genetics

I know this sounds weird, but i find i do better under pressure. The semesters i've taken 16+ units i've done the best. I had no social life of course because i also worked at least 20 hours a week. I've always had hard science courses together. Remember it's not a race who can get done the fastest, maintain a good GPA, do what makes you feel comfortable. But, think about pharmacy school. They don't give you light loads, make sure you can handle it.

Could be re-taking one of those course, and Physics is probably non-calculus based.

To the guy above me, your signature is kinda confusing. Fall 2008 and Spring 2008? Do you mean Spring 2009?

good call. I didn't even catch that. *changed* :)

Like many have already posted, your adviser is right. You should aim to take 2 or more science classes per quarter or semester.

If you have friends who are non-science majors, taking 2 or more science classes is obviously insane!! But to pre-pharm and pre-med students, performing well under a heavy science course load shows pharmacy schools You can handle pharmacy school course load. This is very important when you start applying to pharmacy schools. Schools will consider your grade trend (GPA) along with your course load.

If pharmacy school is where you're headed, you must take 2 or more science classes. We've all done it or are currently doing same.

good luck!