Undergrad degree for optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonnnnnnnnn123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I'm second year in an honours physiology degree in Canada, but I'm thinking of switching to psychology (still a science degree) to have more flexibility to take my prerequisites, focus on those and make sure my GPA is competitive (right now overall i'm at a 3.4). Would there be any negatives to this decision when I apply for optometry in the states?
I'm also pretty bad with extracurriculars since I've been focusing on GPA... if I do shadowing and some volunteering in the summer will this be sufficient? Or should I be focusing more on it? i've done volunteer work at a daycare the previous summer.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey,
I'm second year in an honours physiology degree in Canada, but I'm thinking of switching to psychology (still a science degree) to have more flexibility to take my prerequisites, focus on those and make sure my GPA is competitive (right now overall i'm at a 3.4). Would there be any negatives to this decision when I apply for optometry in the states?
I'm also pretty bad with extracurriculars since I've been focusing on GPA... if I do shadowing and some volunteering in the summer will this be sufficient? Or should I be focusing more on it? i've done volunteer work at a daycare the previous summer.
Degree doesn't matter as long as you've completed pre-reqs and have a decent grade in them.

Consider shadowing or working in optometry offices. Not a daycare.