Undergrad degree question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anon4895

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm currently doing my undergrad in physics and have the option of doing a biomedical physics concentration. Would this be advantageous while applying to schools, or will it really not matter?

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't matter.

Hey guys,

I'm currently doing my undergrad in physics and have the option of doing a biomedical physics concentration. Would this be advantageous while applying to schools, or will it really not matter?

I graduated with a physics degree and I will say that from my friends who did go on to medical school, during their interviews they did get lots of love for having taken courses such as quantum mechanics and graduate electrodynamics (Jackson E&M). Medical schools tend to love that kind of stuff. Because let's face it, you're not going to get a course more technically challenging than quantum mechanics. I remember I spent 30 hours a week studying that Griffiths textbook.

In terms of your question, I would say that the additional benefit of taking biomedical courses would be preparation for your MCAT BS section.

Last edited:
Id say that this is only good if it helps GPA and MCAT scores. You might get an occasional adcom that cares about the classes you took, I haven't heard too many stories of that...especially in DO schools.

So, in short, most likely schools could care less what you major in, much less any emphases you have.

Importance is GPA, MCAT and how well you did in pre reqs and upper level science(esp. bio) courses

Just my opinion on it

(thats not to say not to do it if you enjoy it though!)