Undergrad employment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blike

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hows it going guys?

Just wandering what your opinion is on being employed during your undergraduate years. Is it necessary?

I'm asking because I didn't work at all my freshman year, and don't have a job right now. I do little "here and there" jobs for money, but no job. Next summer I'm going to get EMT certified, so I'll be working for my junior and senior year. Its not like I sit around at home all day, I stay occupied with clubs and volunteer work, but should I get a paying job? What do medical schools think about this?

have a great day!!!
john

Members don't see this ad.

If you can swing it w/o a job I say that is great. Of course working summers is a good idea but I don't think med school really care. If you are involved at school with clubs and volunteer work there is no problem. I don't think any school would say, "Well, Jon is really qualified, but he didn't work...REJECTED!!! Frank is less qualified, but he had a job at the GAP...ACCEPTED!!!"

I would suggest doing research, that always looks good.

That really depends on your financial need. If you need, then work. If not, you seem to be 'doing more' than just classes (always a big selling point).

Personally, I used my experience in the 'real world' as a big plus in all my interviews - as something to separate me from other applicants (...and I worked in nightclubs - "crisis prevention" and "human relations")

-A

If you don't have to work during your undergrad, concentrate on school and enjoying life. I am an EMT and I totally recommend getting your certification. It will be a great experience and you will interact with doctors and nurses. I work in a hospital setting (in an ER) which is a great way to learn how hospitals work, get clinical experience, and have a lot of fun (especially on the midnight shift). Just remember that you have a long road of education ahead of you, with your undergrad being the easiest, so go out and have some fun.... I wish I had taken my own advice...

:hardy: