Undergrad Major???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rmsgolfer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what ppl are doing for undergrad majors. Ive searched and there is limited info on the subject. Im a Health Fitness major at a liberal arts college and ive only seen a handful of other Health Exercise Science people on here. Also, if you are, does it seem like you are at a disadvantage for not doing bio/chem.

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly do not think it matters. I was a pysch major and I got in first time applying. I have heard that they like people who are not cookie cutter bio/chem majors but have not personally seen any data.

I found this on the cornell applying to med school FAQ's. It should help.

The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) has stated that, "admission committee members know that medical students can develop the essential skills od acquiring, synthesizing, applyintg and communicating information through a wide variety of academic disciplines... Choosing science based primarily on enhancing one's chances for admission to medical school is not in a student's long-term best interest."

Despite statements like the above, many students believe that medical schools actually prefer one major over another. AAMC's national data, however, refute this. In 2005, 45% of biological sciences majors, 50% of physical sciences majors, 52% of humanities majors, and 48% of social sciences majors applying were accepted to medical school. The variation in percentage of acceptance by major is not significant and major cannot be used to predict acceptance to medical school.

Just wondering what ppl are doing for undergrad majors. Ive searched and there is limited info on the subject. Im a Health Fitness major at a liberal arts college and ive only seen a handful of other Health Exercise Science people on here. Also, if you are, does it seem like you are at a disadvantage for not doing bio/chem.

I asked a doctor this same question - he said that he had majored in Spanish Literature, because it interested him. On his interviews, he related it to medicine.
The post above gives great advice. Especially the statistics and quote from Cornell.
I'm no doctor, but a pre-med just like you. I've got a B.S. degree in Public Safety - yea, I know, Who's heard of that, right???
So take what you want from me:
Pick something that interests you, as if you don't, you'll probably hate your classes and be miserable in your undergrad. Whatever you do and while you go through it, contemplate on why it fits into your life and how it's going to relate to you beginning a career in medicine.

If Health Exercise Science is what interests you, then do it. If basket weaving interests you, and your school offers it, then do it. Whatever it is, make sure you are satisfied.

Members don't see this ad :)
I started out bio my freshman year and i think i would have rather had my nuts kicked every hour for a week. I just didnt enjoy it so I switched to where the more anatomy/phys/nutritional classes were. Great info guys, please keep it coming.

Major in what you're good at and enjoy. Don't major in something because it "may/may not" give you an advantage for med school.

Major in what you're good at and enjoy. Don't major in something because it "may/may not" give you an advantage for med school.

:thumbup:

Like others have already stated, major in something where you enjoy it and can keep your GPA up.

I majored in English and psychology. I chose English because I wanted to write gooder, and I knew undergrad was my only shot. And I really enjoyed psychology courses.

If I could do it over again, I'd try to squeeze in philosophy, too.

I majored in English and psychology. I chose English because I wanted to write gooder, and I knew undergrad was my only shot. And I really enjoyed psychology courses.

If I could do it over again, I'd try to squeeze in philosophy, too.

:rolleyes:

Personally, I'd major in something that I could see myself doing in case the medical thing didn't work out.

I always wished that I spent an extra year in college and completed two majors. Hell, I wish I applied to guarantee programs out of high school :oops:

If you feel deficient in the sciences, make sure you do a major or minor in the sciences (but something that interests you)
If you are good there, study whatever and do the normal pre reqs.
Like other posters said, if you think it sucks, you won't study, wont do well, adn will lower gpa.

Personally, I was weak in sci, so did micro because it intersted me.

Psychology with a concentration in Neuroscience

Members don't see this ad :)

Honestly, you can major in any degree that will give you a BS or a BA. I was a political science major and a chem minor. I really wanted to major in basket weaving but it wasn't offered in my school. (kidding) Just make sure you complete all the pre-med requirements of Bio 1 and 2, chem 1 and 2, orgo 1 and 2, and physics 1 and 2. This includes labs as well. Most schools would also would recommend you take A and P, Biochem, Cell Bio, Microbio, Calculus, Genetics, Statistics. You don't need to take all of these but taking a few of these will make you a better applicant. Traditionally most physicans were bio, biochem, or chem majors and some schools still have a signifigant number of those majors. However, by majoring in something other than a science you are showing ADCOM's that you are a well rounded person. Do what you like otherwise undergrad becomes a pain. With good overall and science gpa's(3.5+) you should be fine. Good Luck with the application process.

Biomedical Engineering, couldn't do Differential Equations, switched to Biology. If I had to do over again, it would have been American Studies, Health Promotion and Fitness or something else. Not Biology. Thinking back, though, there is no way I could have known that I would have liked something else better. I hated history in high school, but took a few American Studies classes here and didn't EVER want class to end, except for one time when after class we left Austin for Dallas and Texas-Oklahoma weekend.

i was a spanish major. i absolutely love the language and the culture, and now i'm bilingual. i use it a ton in my work as an emt and i spent time studying abroad in spain during my junior year. i couldn't have made a better choice, and the people who interviewed me thought so too!

i was an architecture major and then switched to art history :D

Choose the major that allows you to take the most courses that interest you...for me that was medical anthropology and public health. No use being stuck with something you hate because it "looks good." In the end, it really doesn't matter...so long as your GPA and MCAT are good.

Molecular science major here. Not to look good, but I enjoy it.

i chose my health fitness major because it dealt with more human/anatomy/physiology/assessment type concepts. We spend countless hours working in our human performance lab and i feel i have learned a lot regarding client patient relationship and professionalism. Its nice to hear many others are outside the typical 'science majors'. I am just finishing up my junior year and will be applying and taking the MCAT this summer. YIKES. Thanks for all the info guys/gals. CHEERS :banana:

i have a dual degree...i have a bs in biology and a bs in psychology :)

BS in Geology and BA in Anthropology with a Math minor.