Undergrad part time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArtMot425

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to be an undergrad part time at ASU for pre pharmacy and would like to know about doing this. Has anyone been able to go to school part time and been able to get in a pharmacy school? I wanted to know because I am disabled emotionally and would like some better insight in school? I have an A in General Biology 1, Gen Chem 1 and lab C/B, Microbiology C, Human Anatomy C and English 101 B and 102 A. I have a 3.1 GPA at Mesa community college and was told by the advisor based on my grades that in order to go to pharmacy school I have to be going full time and getting A's and B's. They have to count the 2 F's and 5 withdrawals that I had 6 years ago. I just don't know what to do? I have just graduated with my AA and would like to know what I should do?

Members don't see this ad.

I want to be an undergrad part time at ASU for pre pharmacy and would like to know about doing this. Has anyone been able to go to school part time and been able to get in a pharmacy school? I wanted to know because I am disabled emotionally and would like some better insight in school? I have an A in General Biology 1, Gen Chem 1 and lab C/B, Microbiology C, Human Anatomy C and English 101 B and 102 A. I have a 3.1 GPA at Mesa community college and was told by the advisor based on my grades that in order to go to pharmacy school I have to be going full time and getting A's and B's. They have to count the 2 F's and 5 withdrawals that I had 6 years ago. I just don't know what to do? I have just graduated with my AA and would like to know what I should do?

Going to school part time will make it take twice as long to get your degree (obviously), but if you are only going to be doing the pharmacy school pre-reqs, it is easy. If you are only going to school part-time without having a job, pharmacy school adcoms are going to wonder why because typically they like to see a full courseload, especially if you are pursuing a degree. It also depends on what schools you are going to be applying to. If I remember correctly, you are considering applying to UofA. This means you are going to have to retake the Anatomy class because UofA only takes a grade of B and above for both anatomy/physiology and O-chem classes. Having two C's in the other science pre-reqs you have taken is going to bring down your GPA significantly. This is a problem since UofA does their own GPA calculation solely on your pre-reqs in order to invite you for an interview. Also, PharmCAS will average in the grades when they are retaken, bringing down your cGPA. Even if you can maintain straight A's from now on, I don't know if it will be enough to put you above the GPA cut off for UofA, unless you retake those classes.

The gen chem will be harder at ASU and so will the Ochem, not because the CC is "easy" but because at ASU the labs are more demanding of your time and are taught by TA's (who don't grade consistently), the profs aren't always available since there are so many students, and there is a lot of competition because you have pre meds in those classes too. This isn't to say that you won't succeed, but you need to be prepared for the transition from Mesa CC (where resources and support are plentiful for students) to ASU (where you are nothing more than a number in those very large classes).

If you are struggling with just the few pre-reqs you have taken, then you need to re-evaluate your approach to school- study habits, time management, etc. You will need these skills when you get to ASU, especially if you are going for a degree. I don't know what other advice I can possibly offer you other than you need to put your priorities in order and accomplish one thing at a time. As for your condition, this is also something to consider. I do not want to venture into the realm of medical advice, but I think it is important that your condition is being managed properly before you can really focus 100% on school. Should you need to be referred to someone, please let me know, because I know of someone in your area.