Undergrad Research for Credit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr_Churchill

Student
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
As part of my Bio degree, one of the elective courses I could take for 3 credits is "Undergraduate Research", which is exactly what it sounds like.

If research is taken for university credit, am I allowed to count it as research hours on an application?

Members don't see this ad.

As part of my Bio degree, one of the elective courses I could take for 3 credits is "Undergraduate Research", which is exactly what it sounds like.

If research is taken for university credit, am I allowed to count it as research hours on an application?
Yes, providing you are engaging in an actual original project, and not just learning research techniques or doing reenactments with already-known-results.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, providing you are engaging in an actual original project, and not just learning research techniques or doing reenactments with already-known-results.

So this could be said for any class then?

I'm in another class where we're first replicating another researcher's work from our university. After that, it's our job to design our own experiments and complete them, expanding off of what's already known.

Members don't see this ad :)
So this could be said for any class then?

I'm in another class where we're first replicating another researcher's work from our university. After that, it's our job to design our own experiments and complete them, expanding off of what's already known.
When you design your own project (or help with original research someone else instigates) using the Scientific Method (hypothesis, methods, data collecting, analysis, conclusion), it's very definitely worth including on a med school application, whether the experience is for credit, pay, or volunteer.

@LizzyM has said something about this I think. If I recall, she says it counts, but isn't as impressive as a sought out research position.

@LizzyM has said something about this I think. If I recall, she says it counts, but isn't as impressive as a sought out research position.
This doesn't make much sense because these two are not mutually exclusive. Most people seek out a research position on there own and then opt to get credit for it.

Not sure I ever said that....
Duration, intensity, level of involvement, success at being funded and outcomes (posters/publications) do matter, though.

Not sure I ever said that....
Duration, intensity, level of involvement, success at being funded and outcomes (posters/publications) do matter, though.

Obviously I know any funding is probably positive, but is funding from internal sources (like University programs for undergraduate research) less preferable to an outside source? Or is it all equal in your eyes? Is any amount of funding significant? Say only like $1000?

Obviously I know any funding is probably positive, but is funding from internal sources (like University programs for undergraduate research) less preferable to an outside source? Or is it all equal in your eyes? Is any amount of funding significant? Say only like $1000?

Outside funding is highly regarded, internal funding is good but not as good as external. It is the validation that external funding provides; someone thought highly enough of you and your project to bankroll it!

Reactions: 1 users