Mr_Churchill

Applicant
2+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
As part of my Bio degree, one of the elective courses I could take for 3 credits is "Undergraduate Research", which is exactly what it sounds like.

If research is taken for university credit, am I allowed to count it as research hours on an application?

gonnif

Only 342 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
yes

Reactions: Mr_Churchill

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
As part of my Bio degree, one of the elective courses I could take for 3 credits is "Undergraduate Research", which is exactly what it sounds like.

If research is taken for university credit, am I allowed to count it as research hours on an application?
Yes, providing you are engaging in an actual original project, and not just learning research techniques or doing reenactments with already-known-results.

Reactions: Mr_Churchill
About the Ads
OP
M

Mr_Churchill

Applicant
2+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Yes, providing you are engaging in an actual original project, and not just learning research techniques or doing reenactments with already-known-results.
So this could be said for any class then?

I'm in another class where we're first replicating another researcher's work from our university. After that, it's our job to design our own experiments and complete them, expanding off of what's already known.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
So this could be said for any class then?

I'm in another class where we're first replicating another researcher's work from our university. After that, it's our job to design our own experiments and complete them, expanding off of what's already known.
When you design your own project (or help with original research someone else instigates) using the Scientific Method (hypothesis, methods, data collecting, analysis, conclusion), it's very definitely worth including on a med school application, whether the experience is for credit, pay, or volunteer.

Reactions: Doctor-S
Sep 9, 2017
yeehaw
Status
Pre-Medical
@LizzyM has said something about this I think. If I recall, she says it counts, but isn't as impressive as a sought out research position.

Dox4lyfe

2+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2017
@LizzyM has said something about this I think. If I recall, she says it counts, but isn't as impressive as a sought out research position.
This doesn't make much sense because these two are not mutually exclusive. Most people seek out a research position on there own and then opt to get credit for it.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
Not sure I ever said that....
Duration, intensity, level of involvement, success at being funded and outcomes (posters/publications) do matter, though.

Reactions: plantsandpremed

Gilakend

7+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Not sure I ever said that....
Duration, intensity, level of involvement, success at being funded and outcomes (posters/publications) do matter, though.
Obviously I know any funding is probably positive, but is funding from internal sources (like University programs for undergraduate research) less preferable to an outside source? Or is it all equal in your eyes? Is any amount of funding significant? Say only like $1000?

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
Obviously I know any funding is probably positive, but is funding from internal sources (like University programs for undergraduate research) less preferable to an outside source? Or is it all equal in your eyes? Is any amount of funding significant? Say only like $1000?
Outside funding is highly regarded, internal funding is good but not as good as external. It is the validation that external funding provides; someone thought highly enough of you and your project to bankroll it!

About the Ads