Undergrad student Considering a PsyD or psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmiller1998

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! Would love your opinions. I’m currently in undergrad and am debating on psychiatry or a PsyD and possibly prescription privileges. I want to have a lot of tools to help patients, but find myself loving my psych classes in undergrad. I think medicine can play an important role in recovery for some folks. I would like to have the ability, however, I strongly believe in therapy. Would love your opinions. In addition, Did anyone know they wanted to become a psychiatrist right in undergrad?? If so, how did that work out for you?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If your goal is to be a med provider, go be a med provider. The investment into a PsyD followed by subsequent years to receive a second masters doesn't equal out in terms of earnings or knowledge. If your goal is to 'balance' the two, you won't. the earning per hour is different as are the requirements and so you will, ultimately, land leaning more one way or the other. If you aren't sure, I'd suggest slowing your planning til you decide. The best advice is always find someone who does what you want to do and see what they did to get there. If you can't find them, thats telling. If there are only a few, thats telling.

Reactions: 7 users
If your goal is to be a med provider, go be a med provider. The investment into a PsyD followed by subsequent years to receive a second masters doesn't equal out in terms of earnings or knowledge. If your goal is to 'balance' the two, you won't. the earning per hour is different as are the requirements and so you will, ultimately, land leaning more one way or the other. If you aren't sure, I'd suggest slowing your planning til you decide. The best advice is always find someone who does what you want to do and see what they did to get there. If you can't find them, thats telling. If there are only a few, thats telling.
Thank you for your reply. I agree. I am currently trying to figure out what I truly like. Although this is true, I’m more likely going to go the PsyD route and get the rxp privileges so I have the ability if needed. I’ve noticed I lean more towards the therapy side though. I know psychiatrists mostly focus on Med management.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m more likely going to go the PsyD route and get the rxp privileges so I have the ability if needed.
According to APA, only Louisiana, New Mexico, Illinois, Iowa, and Idaho currently allow this. This isn't something I'm interested in so I have no idea about the likelihood of adoption in other states.

This board heavily skews towards funded PhDs because the economics are terrible for self-pay PsyD programs. At the high end, you have PsyD programs that will cost $60,000+ a year in tuition and bare bones living expenses. Interest on graduate loans backed by the US govt kick in immediately so over a 20 year period, you could be looking at $350,000+ in principle and interest repayment obligations before you're debt free.

According to the dept of labor, the median psychiatrist salary is $208,000 while the median clinical psychologist salary is only $78,000 (which will be closer to $50,000 gross after federal, state, medicare and other taxes) so it makes a lot more sense to take on huge debt for a MD/DO. Significant grad school loans will majorly impact all of your post-grad school life decisions.

Fully funded PhD programs in clinical and counseling psychology that provide tuition waivers and small living stipends (as well as the few funded PsyDs out there) are more competitive and require more pre-requisites such as clinical research experience but please explore this option if you think being a psychologist is the right path for you.

If you can be a good candidate for med school, you'd likely be a good candidate for a funded PhD in psychology if you can get active with a psychology research lab and gain those extracurricular experiences while in undergrad or with a post-grad RA year or two. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
You should honestly commit to psychiatry if you are interested in prescribing privileges. The pay is also around double and stability much higher than that of a clinical psychologist. The overall payoff cannot be beat.

Of course, this also means committing to four years of medical school. Make sure you really want to be a DOCTOR of the mind, not just a “therapist”. If you can hack out the first two years of basic sciences without losing interest, then you can schedule the appropriate electives for fourth year after clinical rotations.

I would not be worried about psychology taking over prescribing rights. Currently they only can in low-populated states (except Illinois) and the market isn’t replacing psychiatrists anytime soon.

Reactions: 3 users
If prescribing is a goal, the path of least professional resistance (and greater average compensation) is medical school. You'll learn more about psychological theory and other psychological concepts in graduate school vs. medical school + residency, but RxP, assuming you live in the correct state, would be an additional two years on top of the 5-7 years for graduate school. Some people do it, but it's not the most efficient or portable path, particularly if you haven't yet started your graduate training.

Psychology, as a field (and with a doctorate), has its own versions of flexibility. But they're a bit more outside-the-box and don't always entail clinical work.

I also agree that I would always, always recommend trying to attend a funded doctoral program. The $150-200k you save goes a long way. The Ph.D. vs. Psy.D. distinction is almost artificial at this point, as the more robust Psy.D. programs typically have research components to them, and Ph.D. programs (particularly "balanced" ones) have substantial clinical components.

Last edited:
According to APA, only Louisiana, New Mexico, Illinois, Iowa, and Idaho currently allow this. This isn't something I'm interested in so I have no idea about the likelihood of adoption in other states.

This board heavily skews towards funded PhDs because the economics are terrible for self-pay PsyD programs. At the high end, you have PsyD programs that will cost $60,000+ a year in tuition and bare bones living expenses. Interest on graduate loans backed by the US govt kick in immediately so over a 20 year period, you could be looking at $350,000+ in principle and interest repayment obligations before you're debt free.

According to the dept of labor, the median psychiatrist salary is $208,000 while the median clinical psychologist salary is only $78,000 (which will be closer to $50,000 gross after federal, state, medicare and other taxes) so it makes a lot more sense to take on huge debt for a MD/DO. Significant grad school loans will majorly impact all of your post-grad school life decisions.

Fully funded PhD programs in clinical and counseling psychology that provide tuition waivers and small living stipends (as well as the few funded PsyDs out there) are more competitive and require more pre-requisites such as clinical research experience but please explore this option if you think being a psychologist is the right path for you.

If you can be a good candidate for med school, you'd likely be a good candidate for a funded PhD in psychology if you can get active with a psychology research lab and gain those extracurricular experiences while in undergrad or with a post-grad RA year or two. Good luck!

Multiply that clinical psychologist salary by 2-2.53 for RxP.

Reactions: 1 users
If prescribing is a goal, the path of least professional resistance (and greater average compensation) is medical school. You'll learn more about psychological theory and other psychological concepts in graduate school vs. medical school + residency, but RxP, assuming you live in the correct state, would be an additional two years on top of the 5-7 years for graduate school. Some people do it, but it's not the most efficient or portable path, particularly if you haven't yet started your graduate training.

Psychology, as a field (and with a doctorate), has its own versions of flexibility. But they're a bit more outside-the-box and don't always entail clinical work.

I also agree that I would always, always recommend trying to attend a funded doctoral program. The $150-200k you save goes a long way. The Ph.D. vs. Psy.D. distinction is almost artificial at this point, as the more robust Psy.D. programs typically have research components to them, and Ph.D. programs (particularly "balanced" ones) have substantial clinical components.
Thank you for your reply! I am definitely currently trying to weigh the pros and cons. As for salary, I care more about providing care to those who don’t have access/can’t afford it. I also want all the tools I can to help those suffering from mental illness, including therapy, meds, procedures such as TMS or ECT. I definitely think that from my interests it leans more toward psychiatry. If I go this route, I will most likely apply both MD and DO but I love the osteopathic approach to medicine. I also think it’s cool how Psychiatrist’s treat patients with severe levels of mental illness and that they have more autonomy when it comes to decisions etc.
thank you for your opinion! It truly means a lot.

Hello,
Yes, that is true. That’s why it’s kind of up in the air for me, as I am in undergrad and have a strong interest in medicine, however, I’m also super passionate about therapy and it’s benefits. From what I hear some psychiatrists do both. I will have to take this into consideration.

Why do you say that?

He said that because that is the difference in pay between prescribing and psychotherapy. Understand that if you are able to prescribe there will be pressure due to your loans to make more money and most jobs will expect you to prescribe full-time as they can pay someone less to do only psychotherapy. In private practice, you can do as you please. However it is difficult to setup a private practice if you owe six figures in student loans.

If you want a shorter educational route look at psychiatric NP and PA options.

Reactions: 2 users
He said that because that is the difference in pay between prescribing and psychotherapy. Understand that if you are able to prescribe there will be pressure due to your loans to make more money and most jobs will expect you to prescribe full-time as they can pay someone less to do only psychotherapy. In private practice, you can do as you please. However it is difficult to setup a private practice if you owe six figures in student loans.

If you want a shorter educational route look at psychiatric NP and PA options.

thanks for explaining what they meant. I understand what you mean. Personally, I do not mind attending school a long time to eventually end up in the career that I am interested in. Just looking to hear some opinions from those who have been in this situation or have knowledge about it. I have been trying to debate on this for 2 years now, and it’s been a hard decision. Thank you.

Why do you say that?

Because it’s true.

However, physicians will always have better pay, near endless job opportunities, and broader scopes of practice.

A psychiatrist is trained to do about 80% of what a psychologist is trained to do. A psychiatrist is legally allowed to do more than 100% of what a psychologist is legally permitted to do. Psychiatrist get paid much better, can move anytime they want, and get job offers regularly. They can pick up additional training in psychotherapy or not, and they can still legally do whatever psychotherapy they want.

RxP psychologists make about 80-100k less than the average psychiatrist, have limited mobility, and less job opportunities. I do think that prescribing rights will expand to almost every state in the next 20 years.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind that the current state of RxP has limitations. As others have mentioned, it is limited to five states (and some federal agencies from my understanding). Also, depending on the state, there may be limitations in what meds can be prescribed and how they can be prescribed. RxPs need to be under the supervision of a physician (not sure about all those states, but at least one I’m familiar with). Oh, and not only do you need to do an additional masters program in psychopharm, but that program may require you to be a licensed psychologist before even entering such a program. So you have 5-7 years grad school, 2 years to get licensed, 2 years of the masters program, then however long to get the RxP license after that. At a minimum.

As for salary, I care more about providing care to those who don’t have access/can’t afford it. I also want all the tools I can to help those suffering from mental illness, including therapy, meds, procedures such as TMS or ECT. I definitely think that from my interests it leans more toward psychiatry.
Take a look at state hospital/acute inpatient psychiatry. Depending on the facility and its staffing levels, you can potentially have more therapeutic-type patient interactions. But that setting also definitely isn't for everybody.

Not sure about how far the OP is in college or what exposure he or she has had to either of these fields, but it may be worth looking for some clinical experience or volunteering to get a better feel for what the field entails. It certainly helped me to clarify some decisions at that stage.

Not sure about how far the OP is in college or what exposure he or she has had to either of these fields, but it may be worth looking for some clinical experience or volunteering to get a better feel for what the field entails. It certainly helped me to clarify some decisions at that stage.
I have been trying to find a psychiatrist to shadow but it’s truly hard due to confidentiality and all. I work in a mental health group home and love it. I would love to see what psychiatry is like in a way. It’s hard due to privacy etc. I love therapy but feel as if I get my PsyD I’m limiting myself.

Reactions: 1 user
Because it’s true.

However, physicians will always have better pay, near endless job opportunities, and broader scopes of practice.

A psychiatrist is trained to do about 80% of what a psychologist is trained to do. A psychiatrist is legally allowed to do more than 100% of what a psychologist is legally permitted to do. Psychiatrist get paid much better, can move anytime they want, and get job offers regularly. They can pick up additional training in psychotherapy or not, and they can still legally do whatever psychotherapy they want.

RxP psychologists make about 80-100k less than the average psychiatrist, have limited mobility, and less job opportunities. I do think that prescribing rights will expand to almost every state in the next 20 years.

Frivolous as it may seem this man is speaking the truth. Psychologists may eventually get nearly all the powers of a psychiatrist, but the job opportunity and stability will never compare.

Plus there's always the post-doctoral humiliation of being a humanities PhD versus a medical practitioner.

• Dislike
  • Okay...
  • Haha
Frivolous as it may seem this man is speaking the truth. Psychologists may eventually get nearly all the powers of a psychiatrist, but the job opportunity and stability will never compare.

Plus there's always the post-doctoral humiliation of being a humanities PhD versus a medical practitioner.

Yeah, it's not like psychologists are recognized as medical providers by the federal government. And it's not like one has been the head of the NIMH.

Because it sure would be humiliating to make erroneous statements in a cocksure and superior manner, only to be proven wrong by the group that you're talking down to. That would be sure bring someone back to humility.

Reactions: 4 users

Keep in mind that this figure is skewed downward by school psychologists who are on the same pay scales as teachers in many parts of the country. The APA salary surveys are better indicators in my opinion. They are broken down by subfield, which is helpful.

The mods can correct me, but I think trolling violates the terms of service on SDN.
Psychologists save lives too, and just because they aren’t Med docs doesn’t mean they are meaningless.

Psychologists save lives too, and just because they aren’t Med docs doesn’t mean they are meaningless.

Literally nobody said that. I honestly am not sure what you're talking about. It's just flat wrong to (1) call psychology a humanity and (2) imply they aren't medical providers and (3) imply that they are inferior because they provide different services. I am not personally hurt by it.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's not like psychologists are recognized as medical providers by the federal government. And it's not like one has been the head of the NIMH.

Because it sure would be humiliating to make erroneous statements in a cocksure and superior manner, only to be proven wrong by the group that you're talking down to. That would be sure bring someone back to humility.

I was just speaking on behalf of the unfortunate opinion of millions and millions of academics who discredit psychology as not a real STEM field, and hence believing less funding should be given to the study. I said it's a fact that psychologists are not always seen in a "scientific" light, not that I personally exhibited this view. What's erroneous is jumping to conclusions about one's feelings on a subject of discussion.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the point of this untrue statement is aside from assuaging one's own ego or just plain trolling.

Let's be clear that I was stating the cruel yet honest opinion of countless other academics, not necessarily mine. The problem is that psychologists are continuously being disrespected by many, many people, not specifically ones like myself.

My message was basically how psychologists are being viewed, not my own twisted ideas about the perception of clinical practice. Not trolling whatsoever, none other than this is the unfortunate reputation many PhD's face to this day and should be recognized as a setback they may experience.

Let's be clear that I was stating the cruel yet honest opinion of countless other academics, not necessarily mine. The problem is that psychologists are continuously being disrespected by many, many people, not specifically ones like myself.

My message was basically how psychologists are being viewed, not my own twisted ideas about the perception of clinical practice. Not trolling whatsoever, none other than this is the unfortunate reputation many PhD's face to this day and should be recognized as a setback they may experience.

The most natural reading implies your statement is yours and not the thoughts of others that you are merely communicating, but it's not important. The scientific contributions of psychology stand on their own. Anyone who denies that just hasn't done their homework.

I was just speaking on behalf of the unfortunate opinion of millions and millions of academics who discredit psychology as not a real STEM field, and hence believing less funding should be given to the study. I said it's a fact that psychologists are not always seen in a "scientific" light, not that I personally exhibited this view. What's erroneous is jumping to conclusions about one's feelings on a subject of discussion.

You said having a “humanities PhD” was “humiliating”. Are you saying you don’t think it is humiliating now? Is there some new meaning to this word?

I am surprised to learn that you speak on behalf of all of the 791,391 professors in the United States?! And that’s you’re able to make that “millions and millions”? Must be a hell of a position you have there.

Research funding of psychology is increasing, with psychologists getting about 6-7% of all funding for the life sciences. You know, like the NIH indicated in policy. The #1 psychology journal has a slightly higher ranking than the #8 medical journal.

I’ll give you a cruel but honest opinion too: I hate it when people embarrass themselves by making ill informed opinions that are contradicted by fact while taunting their own superiority. It’s just cringe worthy.

Last edited:
You said having a “humanities PhD” was “humiliating”. Are you saying you don’t think it is humiliating now? Is there some new meaning to this word?

I am surprised to learn that you speak on behalf of all of the 791,391 professors in the United States?! And that’s you’re able to make that “millions and millions”? Must be a hell of a position you have there.

Research funding of psychology is increasing, with psychologists getting about 6-7% of all funding for the life sciences. You know, like the NIH indicated in policy. The #1 psychology journal has a slightly higher ranking than the #8 medical journal.

I’ll give you a cruel but honest opinion too: I hate it when people embarrass themselves by making ill informed opinions that are contradicted by fact while taunting their own superiority. It’s just cringe worthy.

You do realize "academics" doesn't only apply to tenured professors? Also, "millions and millions" applies to individuals over the WHOLE WORLD. It's taken less seriously in many nations, so the benefit of the field may not be taken as effectively as say in most Western nations. I said it was "humiliating" not as a personal attack but rather the way it's being viewed, but it's NOT my personal view of the field. You cannot deny that it's still trying to earn respect among these "scientific" fields of study compared to, say, physics. This is a reality and not an opinion, there is no bias I'm trying to indicate here. That's the way it is, not because I "want it to be" because of some "ego issues I need to cover for".

Anyways, this is not a superiority contest lmao. I'm not even a psychiatrist, there is no personal seeking of worth here if that's what you're trying to imply. I'm just saying that psych faces a STIGMA, which needs to be addressed for the profession to be taken more seriously.

Having worked/trained in clinical and academic medical settings, this is a garbage take. Regardless, feel free to take the discussion to a separate thread or PM to get the thread back to the original topic.

Reactions: 5 users
You do realize "academics" doesn't only apply to tenured professors? Also, "millions and millions" applies to individuals over the WHOLE WORLD. It's taken less seriously in many nations, so the benefit of the field may not be taken as effectively as say in most Western nations. I said it was "humiliating" not as a personal attack but rather the way it's being viewed, but it's NOT my personal view of the field. You cannot deny that it's still trying to earn respect among these "scientific" fields of study compared to, say, physics. This is a reality and not an opinion, there is no bias I'm trying to indicate here. That's the way it is, not because I "want it to be" because of some "ego issues I need to cover for".

Anyways, this is not a superiority contest lmao. I'm not even a psychiatrist, there is no personal seeking of worth here if that's what you're trying to imply. I'm just saying that psych faces a STIGMA, which needs to be addressed for the profession to be taken more seriously.

Since it’s not a superiority thing:

I am even more surprised to learn that you speak for all academics world wide! How many languages do you speak?! What is this position? Is it some joint operation with the WHO, and every national organization including the fringe ones? Or is some sad self appointed thing?

If you’re going to use physics as the benchmark, can you cite the source for your statement that your statement is “reality”? Absolutely proof that also counters evidence from SJR ratings of journals. Not supporting evidence. Because you said it’s not an opinion. And it would be embarrassing if you didn’t know the difference.

If you’re talking about degree of accuracy instead of respect, medicine doesn’t even meet that standard of evidence (eg see the ama publication about the evidence base for physical assessment). But you knew about that, because you’re able to speak on behalf of everyone. Or you’re just making stuff up because you don’t know what you’re talking about.

It's true, I am humiliated. For one, I know the difference between the social sciences and a humanities. It is rough to be in the intelligent and educated minority. For another, millions and millions say that medicine is not a legitimate field and the coronavirus is a hoax. I hear the president say it regularly.

It's true, I am humiliated. For one, I know the difference between the social sciences and a humanities. It is rough to be in the intelligent and educated minority. For another, millions and millions say that medicine is not a legitimate field and the coronavirus is a hoax. I hear the president say it regularly.

Nothing rough about it. The uneducated are simply jealous of the opportunity of the educated and their superior intellectual capabilities. There is a reason the divide between the upper class and lower class is so large in America.

Since it’s not a superiority thing:

I am even more surprised to learn that you speak for all academics world wide! How many languages do you speak?! What is this position? Is it some joint operation with the WHO, and every national organization including the fringe ones? Or is some sad self appointed thing?

If you’re going to use physics as the benchmark, can you cite the source for your statement that your statement is “reality”? Absolutely proof that also counters evidence from SJR ratings of journals. Not supporting evidence. Because you said it’s not an opinion. And it would be embarrassing if you didn’t know the difference.

If you’re talking about degree of accuracy instead of respect, medicine doesn’t even meet that standard of evidence (eg see the ama publication about the evidence base for physical assessment). But you knew about that, because you’re able to speak on behalf of everyone. Or you’re just making stuff up because you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Fair enough. I'll admit medicine as a whole is seen as pretty artsy when compared to physics-obsessed students.

I did not read most of the above replies- but my response to OP: going to school to be a psychologist versus a psychiatrist are EXTREMELY different. I suggest taking both premed classes (to keep your options open) and see if you can get some info from psychiatrists about what med school and residency etc were like (maybe post on the psychiatry thread?) as well as the same info for psychologists - who work with the same population(s) you're interested in. Personally, I started out thinking I might enjoy both equally as a career, but the idea of putting myself through the types of stressors encountered in med school versus those in a doctoral program were pretty enlightening (tbh idk if my marriage would have survived med school and I'm not sure I would have survived the sleep schedule, but some people thrive on that type of protracted adrenaline and cortisol cocktail... I prefer the slow burn of writing/dissertating I suppose). For me another factor was that based on various volunteer work I did during undergrad, I got more satisfaction out of cases where I was able to see the same person at least a few times and form more of a connection than one-and-done or brief-check-in types of encounters, and psychiatrists get a lot more of the latter. Taking some time to consider those points might help you figure out a direction.

I did not read most of the above replies- but my response to OP: going to school to be a psychologist versus a psychiatrist are EXTREMELY different. I suggest taking both premed classes (to keep your options open) and see if you can get some info from psychiatrists about what med school and residency etc were like (maybe post on the psychiatry thread?) as well as the same info for psychologists - who work with the same population(s) you're interested in. Personally, I started out thinking I might enjoy both equally as a career, but the idea of putting myself through the types of stressors encountered in med school versus those in a doctoral program were pretty enlightening (tbh idk if my marriage would have survived med school and I'm not sure I would have survived the sleep schedule, but some people thrive on that type of protracted adrenaline and cortisol cocktail... I prefer the slow burn of writing/dissertating I suppose). For me another factor was that based on various volunteer work I did during undergrad, I got more satisfaction out of cases where I was able to see the same person at least a few times and form more of a connection than one-and-done or brief-check-in types of encounters, and psychiatrists get a lot more of the latter. Taking some time to consider those points might help you figure out a direction.
Thank you for responding. Personally I’ve found it a difficult decision to make as I feel I can make a huge difference either way..however, I also feel like there’s something keeping me attracted to psychiatry. I think it’s the treatment options. The only downfall to this is that if I don’t match into it in the future. Which probably wouldn’t happen but it still is something I think about . As for clinical psychology, I love seeing patients often. Connection is so important to me.. so it truly depends I guess. I’ll take classes for both until I decide.

You have to go to medical school before you will be a psychiatrist and after that many years of residency and fellowship ... you have to do surgery, gynecology, including labor, gastrointestinal rotations, cardiology all this stuff. Too many years in school....also you will have to be on call.

You have to go to medical school before you will be a psychiatrist and after that many years of residency and fellowship ... you have to do surgery, gynecology, including labor, gastrointestinal rotations, cardiology all this stuff. Too many years in school....also you will have to be on call.
Lol, yes too many years in school. I’m more leaning towards becoming a clinical psychologist.

Still looking at 5 years in grad school, 1 year internship, and 1 year postdoc (7 years) for licensure in many states.
I think this option seems more appealing to me because I’m learning what I love right away rather than having to wait.

I think this option seems more appealing to me because I’m learning what I love right away rather than having to wait.

That is one way to look at it. I'd be more concerned about what I would want to do career-wise in the long-term rather than the short-term training.

That is one way to look at it. I'd be more concerned about what I would want to do career-wise in the long-term rather than the short-term training.
Yes it is! I love therapy as well.. so it makes more sense that I lean that way anyway.

Super important point for OP to consider. Personally even though I think I prob would have also enjoyed psychiatry as a career, the idea of going through all the general medical training first really would do me in. I mean, other than the on call and lack of sleep, I think I could do 98% of it - it takes a lot to get a visceral reaction to me- but for some reason the act of seeing someone else get an injection or being sliced... would take some serious exposure therapy at the least. Already open and bleeding and gross? No problem. But the idea of using a scalpel and giving inserting needles for that many years before getting to the psychiatry stuff.... none of that in psychology for me so far :)

Super important point for OP to consider. Personally even though I think I prob would have also enjoyed psychiatry as a career, the idea of going through all the general medical training first really would do me in. I mean, other than the on call and lack of sleep, I think I could do 98% of it - it takes a lot to get a visceral reaction to me- but for some reason the act of seeing someone else get an injection or being sliced... would take some serious exposure therapy at the least. Already open and bleeding and gross? No problem. But the idea of using a scalpel and giving inserting needles for that many years before getting to the psychiatry stuff.... none of that in psychology for me so far :)
That is very true..