Undergraduate Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ollie2488

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble picking a major right now for undergrad. I want to pursue a major that is interesting, yet not a GPA killer. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or does anyone know which majors are more attractive to dental schools? The long list of majors that I'm looking at are Anthropology, Sociology, Chemistry, Biology, Psychology with a minor in Biology, or Integrated Neuroscience (which seems to just be a double major in psych and bio) and really what ever else catches my eye. I didn't do so well in Intro to Molecular and Cell Biology, but I also have been told that the intro classes are totally different than the upper levels.

Members don't see this ad.

Do all pre-requisite classes and then pick a major?

Many choose biology or chemistry because they incorporate all pre-requisite courses within their major. Of course, it's not easy - but it's convenient in the long-run, because you don't have to spend an extra year to finish requirements for another major (in addition to pre-requisites for dental school). However, if you're fine with doing that, go ahead. Just make sure you can maintain a competitive GPA in whatever you choose.

Also, many here would tell you to major in anything of enjoy and appreciate (and I'll stick to that).

I'm having trouble picking a major right now for undergrad. I want to pursue a major that is interesting, yet not a GPA killer. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or does anyone know which majors are more attractive to dental schools? The long list of majors that I'm looking at are Anthropology, Sociology, Chemistry, Biology, Psychology with a minor in Biology, or Integrated Neuroscience (which seems to just be a double major in psych and bio) and really what ever else catches my eye. I didn't do so well in Intro to Molecular and Cell Biology, but I also have been told that the intro classes are totally different than the upper levels.

The major you pick does NOT influence your competitiveness (as long as you maintain a strong GPA and science GPA, then you are golden)

As far as "fun" majors go, I would take a major that I am naturally good at. Like for example, if your a strong/fast reader, a major in sociology or psychology, ya know the type of courses that throw a lot of reading material at you would be ideal...... If your naturally a strong person in mathematics, engineering or computer science would be ideal, these majors are pretty math related..... if your naturally interested in learning about history and the likes, be a history major..... ya get what I am saying? Pick a major that your naturally good and interested at... Don't pick a biology or chemistry or biochemistry major just because you think you will impress the dental schools, they don't care about your major so long as you have strong GPAs

One last thing, whatever you decide on, make sure you take your pre-dental courses AND some upper level biologies (biochemistry, anatomy, histology, physiology, microbiology are just a few to name). Reason I say this is, many dental schools these days are looking past the usual pre-dental 100-200 level courses, they want to see those upper level 300-400 courses and see how you handled them.

best of luck to ya

thank you guys this has been really helpful!